Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
stowjon
Royal Flush


Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 9071

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
same thread thats been done 100 times before but now its my turn, im due an upgrade on my nokia on O2 at the moment but happy to change service provoder, im after an I-Phone or something i can use on internet for the forum, emails etc etc i am not fussed about poker apps on the phone but i would like to be able to do f/book etc etc. currently pay 26 a month i want about 500mins and as many txts as poss and unlimited internet.

How much should i look at paying and which phone is good?

On my last contract i got a 'free' PS3 so id like a free laptop this time or something good!

I could trawl the net but i really dont know enough about IPhones and such like to do this or go into a shop and get palmed off with what ever they want to get shot of!

HELP!
peterH
Porn Baron


Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 3007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
New iphone is likely to be out late Sept/early Oct. Can you wait?

The One Plan from Three gives you 2000 mins, 5000 texts and genuinely unlimited* internet, including tethering, for 25/m.

Obviously different prices if you want a subsidised phone. Check out the Three site.


*unless you take the p*ss by torrenting 24/7 with it, or any other extreme use.
_________________
The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples money.
Bogus
At Won with No 28


Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 5245
Location: Hendon (Deception Central)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Try getting an IPad thrown in. You could use it a as family TV.
_________________
TWUNTICUS MAXIMUS

pembo
Full House


Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 1020
Location: Marske-by-the-Sea/Cambridge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
peterH wrote:

The One Plan from Three gives you 2000 mins, 5000 texts and genuinely unlimited* internet, including tethering, for 25/m.

Agree here, if you want internet, go with 3. It's why they started as a company.
I've been with them for about 6 years now, no problems.
stowjon
Royal Flush


Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 9071

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Bogus wrote:
Try getting an IPad thrown in. You could use it a as family TV.


was thinking about an IPad but think id have this problem!



Link
WBPP
Flush


Joined: 02 Dec 2011
Posts: 531

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
peterH wrote:
New iphone is likely to be out late Sept/early Oct. Can you wait?

The One Plan from Three gives you 2000 mins, 5000 texts and genuinely unlimited* internet, including tethering, for 25/m.

Obviously different prices if you want a subsidised phone. Check out the Three site.


*unless you take the p*ss by torrenting 24/7 with it, or any other extreme use.


Only problem is though it's with 3.
_________________
Nobody likes Grasses
PokerSensation
Flush


Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 573

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I never shop around for the deals because I can't be bothered but I have an iPhone and I think I get 500 mins, unlimited texts and limited internet (which is just about enough) for roughly 40 per month (think it is just over).

Prob not a great deal by hearing others. The Apps are great though. I send plenty of texts abroad and use WhatsApp which is free. Before that app I think my bills were over 200 per month. Viber also gives you free calls.


Last edited by PokerSensation on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterH
Porn Baron


Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 3007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
WBPP wrote:

Only problem is though it's with 3.


Well you need to find out if you get reception in your usual haunts, other than that, I haven't had a problem with them. And the unlimited data is a godsend for anyone using the SkyGo app!
_________________
The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples money.
Rigsby
Forum Challenge Champion


Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Posts: 1909

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I would reccomend 3 to anyone

never had any problems with them
Grumbledook
Royal Flush


Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 16061

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I agree with WBPP and would never go on 3, each to their own

do you need unlimited data? I thought I would use loads but turns out I only use between 60-200 meg a month and that was cause I had it bundled on my contract, I've gone prepay now though cause contract just aint cost effective for my use, most of the time I can use wifi which is free

along with questioning if you need unlimited data, do you even need a new phone you could probably save a lot keeping your current phone and getting a sim only deal


you can also get really good cashback on new priceplans (contract or sim only) if you sign up for an account on quidco ranging from 50 on o2 to 150 on vodafone with others inbetween


I also know a lot of people who have switched to giff gaff (which uses the o2 network) might be worth checking out, though their signal is cack round here compared to vodafone
Ranny
Full House


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 1139

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I went the sim only way.

300 mins, unlimited texts, 1g internet and unlimited BT openzone hotspots for 10.50 a month. Then chose a unlocked phone with none of the undeletable tat the providers shove on it.

To upgrade to the phone I wanted it was over 40/month, so 960 over 24 months. 10.50 over 24 months leaves a lot to buy a phone with.

I know I don't get that many minutes but still don't use them all.
WBPP
Flush


Joined: 02 Dec 2011
Posts: 531

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Ranny wrote:
I went the sim only way.

300 mins, unlimited texts, 1g internet and unlimited BT openzone hotspots for 10.50 a month. Then chose a unlocked phone with none of the undeletable tat the providers shove on it.

To upgrade to the phone I wanted it was over 40/month, so 960 over 24 months. 10.50 over 24 months leaves a lot to buy a phone with.

I know I don't get that many minutes but still don't use them all.



Man of few words Ran Mr. Green

Looking a bit better for next season, you still got the silvers?
_________________
Nobody likes Grasses
Jon MW
The British Cowboy


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 1865
Location: Hastings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
If you're looking at internet usage then if you do get a phone upgrade you should probably go for a phone with a 5" screen.

I've only got a Dell Streak but the extra screen size is absolutely perfect for internet browsing (also it's just about big enough to reasonably watch video on it, and maps are much easier to navigate)

But now the Galaxy S3 is out it's coming top of most people's reviews I've seen anyway - but for internet usage I think the screen size is the key thing


NB: 5" not bigger because you can still hold a phone that size like a normal phone rather than having to hold it like a tablet pc.


EDIT: I'm useless at phone tariffs, but I know a few people who have recently had phone upgrades so they've all done lots of research to help
_________________
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2010/11 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain
5 Star HORSE Classics - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Ranny
Full House


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 1139

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
WBPP wrote:
Ranny wrote:
I went the sim only way.

300 mins, unlimited texts, 1g internet and unlimited BT openzone hotspots for 10.50 a month. Then chose a unlocked phone with none of the undeletable tat the providers shove on it.

To upgrade to the phone I wanted it was over 40/month, so 960 over 24 months. 10.50 over 24 months leaves a lot to buy a phone with.

I know I don't get that many minutes but still don't use them all.



Man of few words Ran Mr. Green

Looking a bit better for next season, you still got the silvers?


Yup, not many games though, new missus now. You still got same seat?
WBPP
Flush


Joined: 02 Dec 2011
Posts: 531

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Ranny wrote:
WBPP wrote:
Ranny wrote:
I went the sim only way.

300 mins, unlimited texts, 1g internet and unlimited BT openzone hotspots for 10.50 a month. Then chose a unlocked phone with none of the undeletable tat the providers shove on it.

To upgrade to the phone I wanted it was over 40/month, so 960 over 24 months. 10.50 over 24 months leaves a lot to buy a phone with.

I know I don't get that many minutes but still don't use them all.



Man of few words Ran Mr. Green

Looking a bit better for next season, you still got the silvers?


Yup, not many games though, new missus now. You still got same seat?


Got 2 lower tier. Don't do as many now. Probably half a season
_________________
Nobody likes Grasses
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Non-Poker General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum