View previous topic :: View next topic  
PokerWolf1
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
So, I was playing poker a couple days ago on Genting in a $10 tournament. My girlfriend came upstairs and said she was sad because she'd just missed out on a final table in a $3 multi. I asked her what site it was on and she mentioned a different Ipoker skin. This got me thinking.

If she had been in the same tournament as me and we'd got moved to the same table what would have happened? Is it seen as collusion if we were both on the same I.P address? 6 years ago or so I remember me and my mates used to meet up and play poker often on the same client and advise each other on difficult decisions. One day I got moved to the same table as my mate in a 30 seater sit and go and the client shut down and we got a slap on the wrist. We were advised that it's fine in a scheduled tournament as it's much less likely to be moved to the same table.

Just wondered what Ipoker's view was?
pembo
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I remember a thread very similar to this that popped up last year, I think it was aimed at FTP though, so policies may be different.

A rep replied saying that in a large MTT, if this happened and there is no obvious collusion, then all is dandy. It's when you get the smaller fields that you are in trouble, especially if you are entering the same ones often.

Obviously it would be best to hear from an iPoker rep, but it's what FTP said, I can't imagine it being massively different...
PokerWolf1
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:17 pm
pembo wrote:
I remember a thread very similar to this that popped up last year, I think it was aimed at FTP though, so policies may be different.

A rep replied saying that in a large MTT, if this happened and there is no obvious collusion, then all is dandy. It's when you get the smaller fields that you are in trouble, especially if you are entering the same ones often.

Obviously it would be best to hear from an iPoker rep, but it's what FTP said, I can't imagine it being massively different...

Thanks Pembo. Funnily enough it was FTP that we were all playing on so that confirms really what I was trying to say. Obviously in this scenario no funny business was meant at all but I understand it's a lot harder to regulate than a live game when you see friends check down to each other.
pembo
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:50 pm
I wouldn't say it's necessarily any harder. I'm pretty sure the companies will have things in place to scan IPs on the same table, especially if a player or two notices some funny business and reports things. All hands are logged, so it's easy to review any given situation.
PokerWolf1
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 pm
pembo wrote:
I wouldn't say it's necessarily any harder. I'm pretty sure the companies will have things in place to scan IPs on the same table, especially if a player or two notices some funny business and reports things. All hands are logged, so it's easy to review any given situation.

That's true. I guess I sort of just mean't that on paper it seems more unethical online to be on a table with your mate/girlfriend/family because as far as anyone else is concerned you are just two random players from different parts of the world, whereas live it's quite obvious when you know someone at the table.

Would still be interested to get a Genting view here. I like to play most of the garentees and the missus just loves to think she can play poker. I can't keep an eye on her all the time I'm playing! Wink
knifeboy62
Quads

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm
I never quite got the point of this form of "protection". I can sit right next to someone and be using a different network altogether from them so with completely different IP ranges.... or I can sit many miles apart and have a screenshare open with them to achieve the same result.

It always seemed to me that people with dubious motives would be the last ones that would be caught with this method because it is so easy to avoid. If there is decent detection software for collusion through the way hands are played, entering the same things together etc then this sort of check should be irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm
Agreed. My netbook connects to the vodafone network, I have my own virgin wireless set up on my laptop and my PC is in full range of a BT open zone that I have the passwords for.

I can quite easily play from 3 different IPs in the comfort of my living room, plus more if I wanted to download VPNs - I never have, but it's possible - it would make single table sit and gos interesting
PokerWolf1
Quads

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm
Indeed. Like you say it would be easy to do for those that wanted to. I was just hoping I wouldn't have gotten into trouble if the missus had co-incidentally moved to the same table if she was in the same scheduled tourney in the scenario I mentioned above.

She spends enough of my money as it is without knocking me off poker tables too Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: