Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Ok......thought I would get this thread off and running as its not too long to go. Don't know about the other areas but I havent seen many flags on cars yet around me......don't know if there is less interest for this tournament than previous tournaments or that it isnt a World Cup.

It is only when you look back at the previous Euros does it make gloomy reading for an England fan. Since my first tournament in 1980 England have lost in the group stages.....failed to qualify......lost in group stages......group stages......semi-finals (as host nation).....group stages.....quarter-finals......failed to qualify.......wow......and they used to say that Spain under achieved.

You simply don't get the easy starts to a Euro's like you do with the World Cups......no games against Algeria, Equador, Tunisia or New Zealand to ease you into the event. In fact as I sit here typing this.....I am having to remember how many times England have actually started a tournament well....

..............thinking it about it so give me a minute..............

1982 World Cup and thats it......I think......so England traditionally start tournaments slowly and you just cannot afford to do that when your opening game is France followed by Sweden and Ukraine. If England qualify second (and they will have their work cut out for that) then they play the winner of Group C..........Spain Rolling Eyes

Can't put my finger on why I am struggling to get myself up for this one Smile

Why won't the gods allow us just to luckbox one for once.........or did we do that in 66??

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Actually......slightly take it back......just googled it and seen that we didn't start too badly in 2006 beating Paraguay 1-0 and then Trinidad and Tobago 2-0.....hardly world class but two wins from two can be considered good I suppose but if you want to change what I said to actually PLAYING WELL then it is really only Spain 1982 where England have started a tournament playing very well against very good opposition.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:38 pm
very few easy games period anymore, bit cliched but true imo, most if not all teams can stick 10 behind the ball and play really tight, you need people that can beat players or move the ball really quickly

i love football but with it being on every single night of the week i think its made the euros/world cup a little less special
madride
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm
I think you'll finish 2nd in the group and go out in the quarters. My money's on Germany

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:06 pm
madride wrote:
I think you'll finish 2nd in the group and go out in the quarters. My money's on Germany

based on past history of us starting slowly.......not overly sure how relevant that will be......then I cannot see us topping the group and we may very well have to do that to avoid Spain. In tournament football then you really have to earn the right to play technically inferior teams in the early knockout stages by winning your group. We have suffered as a result of this numerous times down the years and ended up having tough runs to get to the final.

Last World Cup was a classic case in point.......failure to perform in the group and we play Germany in round two.....Argentina in quarters......Spain in semis and Holland in the final. Any side in the world would struggle to win it with that run of games let alone the most inconsistent side in the tournament out of the group of teams that are "supposedly" good enough to win it....... ie....us.

Remember Germany getting to the World Cup final in 2002 hardly playing anybody. Grouped in with Ireland, Cameroon and Saudi Arabia and then played Paraguay, USA and South Korea to reach the final. Really wazzed me off at the time because we could have reached the final with that kind of run. But you make your own luck and had Germany came second in the group then they would have faced Spain and not Paraguay.

Always makes me laugh when I hear some ex-players and pundits say that it doesnt matter who you play because you have to beat good teams to win it anyway.......clearly these people have zero knowledge of odds and probabilites of how much easier it is to win a tournament with a run of games like Ghana, USA, Holland and Spain than Germany, Argentina, Holland and Spain.

All I want is to see England win something once in my lifetime.......not being greedy......just once and I don't care if we Jamie Gold it

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:03 pm
My money is to finish on 2 points after the 3 games.
mddgfc
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:06 pm
what are the conditions likely to be like at this, are you gonna have to contend with plastic pitches etc or snow lol?
Seb
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:06 pm
I love the Euros. Second best sporting event in the world, imo. Haven't studied the squads yet but I still have a bet on Germany from a couple of years ago when Spain were dominant so I'm supporting them and whoever surprises. Someone always does.
curnow
Straight

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:46 am
madride wrote:

dont think England or France will get through group stage , never understand the England team selection
tjm8
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:41 am
mddgfc wrote:
what are the conditions likely to be like at this, are you gonna have to contend with plastic pitches etc or snow lol?

Hard to say for sure, I have spent a lot of time in the Czech Republic (next to Poland) in summers for the past 12 years and it can vary from a hot sunny climate (early 30's) to the type of unpredictable summer we see in England (rain, cool, cloudy days etc), with a temp averaging early to mid 20's. With it been mostly evening matches, the weather really shouldn't be a disadvantage for the England and ROI teams.

I haven't heard that there are any plastic pitches going to be used.
madride
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:40 am
What's your likely XI against France? Depends on formation I suppose and probably too attacking but something like this?

Hart

Cole
Terry
Lescott
Johnson

Walcott
Parker
Gerrard
Young

Defoe
Carroll

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:40 am
Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Terry
Cole

Gerrard
Parker
Barry

Walcott
Carroll
Young
tommymac
Chip Collector

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:47 pm
cmon england good performance tonight please Very Happy

Is it me or do the advertising boards look wierd?

Games been ok so far, sloppy mistakes a plenty though Neutral

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:46 pm
Barry injury might do is a favour after that 20-minutes, although the alternative is Henderson... Norway were apalling.
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:03 am
Lets have a young team. drop the help the aged. Plan for the wc in 2 years and the next euros

Hart

Cole
Cahill
Lescott
johnson(would be smalling but injured)

Walcott
Parker(wiltshire but injured)
cleverley
Young

Carroll(Rooney when the douche is not banned)
Wellbeck

-- Nick "The Greek" Dandalos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: