Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Quote:
United have won the treble
Or at least that is what Paddy Power, the bookmaker, thinks. In a brave move, it has paid out early on Sir Alex Ferguson's side winning the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup.

"We know and punters know that the race for trophies is all but over for another year, so why wait for the formalities?" Paddy Power, the head of communications, said. (Yes, that is his name.)

This is not unprecedented. The same bookmaker correctly paid out on Chelsea winning the Premier League after only seven matches of the 2005-06 season, but got it wrong when it did similar in the belief that Arsenal would win the title three years earlier.

They also paid out on Stoke getting relegated after they lost on the first weekend of this season, but then that wasn't much of a risk.
The Reverend
In Rhythm

Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
League is 100% formality,wish Betfair would settle it as a winner as well so I ould start to count my monies Cool

FA Cup they are defo taking an unnecessary risk.

Carling Cup,meh.

Presumably they are still taking bets on all 3?
Rmaccov
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 pm
What does a site gain by paying out early? Some publicity is all I can think of but if I was backing Man U at the start of a season I'd go with whichever respected bookie was offering the best price, I wouldn't look at bookies' history of paying out early to make me decide.

Some bookies paid out on Man U winning the league in 92 before Leeds pipped them. I just don't get why.
Ranny
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 pm
Rmaccov wrote:
What does a site gain by paying out early? Some publicity is all I can think of but if I was backing Man U at the start of a season I'd go with whichever respected bookie was offering the best price, I wouldn't look at bookies' history of paying out early to make me decide.

Some bookies paid out on Man U winning the league in 92 before Leeds pipped them. I just don't get why.

Also paid out in 97/98.
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 pm
If Carrick + Berbs or Ronaldo got injured...
Matt101
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:32 pm
Murph1984 wrote:
League is 100% formality

You know what to do then (they can currently be laid on Betfair at 1.23).

Rmaccov wrote:
What does a site gain by paying out early? Some publicity is all I can think of...

Yeah that's basically it. Manc bookie Fred Done used to do this every year when Utd went a few points clear. The amount of free publicity he got was worth a lot more than potential losses.
Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 pm
Matt101 wrote:
Murph1984 wrote:
League is 100% formality

Got on long ago.
Matt101
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm
Murph1984 wrote:
Matt101 wrote:
Murph1984 wrote:
League is 100% formality

Got on long ago.

Sell your house if they're a 100% formailty Razz
Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 pm
Matt101 wrote:
Murph1984 wrote:
Matt101 wrote:
Murph1984 wrote:
League is 100% formality

Got on long ago.

Sell your house if they're a 100% formailty Razz

Will not be selling the apartment Razz
robbie
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:00 pm
i remember them paying out on arsenal when it looked like they we're nailed on to win the league(lol)

paid out early and lost mega money..now their at it again....

i fancy united to slip up in one of those ....march1st at a guess. Wink
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:00 pm
Think they are losing the plot and for starters insulting to Spurs IMO. I don't mind the league as it could be argued that they are points ahead etc, but with a final they are just having a laugh at Spurs. If this happened against my team I would never bet with them again.
As for FA cup payout this is just plain dumb. Rolling Eyes
Matt101
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm
I didn't read the OP correctly at first. I guess they mustn't have many liablities as most punters would have included the CL in any multiples. I wonder if they're paying out on singles for those trophies?

Pure publicity stunt imo.
Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:10 pm
Over/Under on amount of people that will put bets on tomorrow and try to cash them in on Monday? Laughing
Jack_Regan
Straight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm
Matt101 wrote:
I didn't read the OP correctly at first. I guess they mustn't have many liablities as most punters would have included the CL in any multiples. I wonder if they're paying out on singles for those trophies?

Pure publicity stunt imo.
Think I read when they paid out on Stoke to get relegated after the first game of the season, it cost them 20k.

You've got to reckon that their liabilities on an occurence that has never been done must be much lower by a large margin.

As you say, just a publicity stunt, and probably a very cheap one.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: