View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobGibraltar
Out to Lunch

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I finally found out why my antipodean colleagues crease up in laughter whenever I pronounce 'router' (network comunication device) as 'rooter' (someone who goes out shagging a lot as in 'a dirty rooter').

So if you're ever in oz and work in IT, be warned........

However they don't like it when I refer to AFC as netball due to the girly passing, and making a point of always ordering Fosters for them seems to go down really well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
order them a castlemaine XXXX, its equally stereotypical/insulting but far less pleasurable to drink... also in 18 years you'll be able to take the piss out of them about the ashes again...
TraceT
Quads

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:12 pm
I once told an Aussie male colleague that I was going to route in my drawers for some lost paperwork - the look on his face was priceless!!!

I too at the time didn't realise what the word meant to him.

It's all good! lol

Twisted Evil
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:41 pm
I once read a very good description of an aussie

"THEY ARE BASICALLY US.....JUST MORE COCKY"

BRILLIANT Laughing

The Dean
Rmaccov
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:02 pm
We should pronounce it rooter though shouldn't we as it's to do with the way the word route has always been pronounced root?

Aussies have just gone like the rest of the world and speak 'American English'. They pronounce the word route as rouwt don't they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Non-Poker General Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: