View previous topic :: View next topic  
DStevenson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:39 am
Anyone got any comments re: Tournament Turbo Hold em by Wilson Software.

I was under the impression that this was a good simulation and rated by a number of people. However, having just received my copy its AI seems mindnumbingly unrealistic.

Can anyone advise superior software i.e. one where the opponents may actually act as if they were playing poker!!

Appreciate any feedback.
The Truth
Trips

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Try Andy Ward's software a demo of which can be downloaded at www.pokersoft.co.uk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:39 pm
I have the Wilson software for both Hold'em and 7-card stud. I find it very realistic, and the play I have engaged in the L.A. clubs like Commerce and Bicycle fell right in line with the simulated training. The software traps and bluffs also, and does so very well IMHO.

You may want to try changing the default "lineup" that comes with the software. You can load various lineups of players in accordance with the type of players you expect. There are several low-limit lineups you can select from if you are playing low-limit games. And lineups for passive, agressive, loose, and tight players and combinations of these.

If you just got the software, give it a chance with the different lineups before you pass final judgement. I would recommend you challenge "Mike", the advisor on the various lineups.

I found the simulator more useful as a training device after reading Lee Jones' book.

Cheers,

--Previous Message--

: Anyone got any comments re: Tournament Turbo Hold em by Wilson Software.
:
: I was under the impression that this was a good simulation and rated by a
: number of people. However, having just received my copy its AI seems
: mindnumbingly unrealistic.
:
: Can anyone advise superior software i.e. one where the opponents may actually
: act as if they were playing poker!!
:
: Appreciate any feedback.
Dstevenson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:23 am
I think the difference is that I have the tournament version which does not have variable setups.

Thanks for your feedback anyways.

--Previous Message--

: I have the Wilson software for both Hold'em and 7-card stud. I find it very
: realistic, and the play I have engaged in the L.A. clubs like Commerce and
: Bicycle fell right in line with the simulated training. The software traps and
: bluffs also, and does so very well IMHO.
:
: You may want to try changing the default "lineup" that comes with the
: software. You can load various lineups of players in accordance with the type
: of players you expect. There are several low-limit lineups you can select from
: if you are playing low-limit games. And lineups for passive, agressive, loose,
: and tight players and combinations of these.
:
: If you just got the software, give it a chance with the different lineups
: before you pass final judgement. I would recommend you challenge "Mike", the
: advisor on the various lineups.
:
: I found the simulator more useful as a training device after reading Lee
: Jones' book.
:
: Cheers,

(...)
Bikerfish
One Pair

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I was interested in looking at these and dowloaded the demos which havent enticed me buy.

I thought you could change the set up in the tournament version to include the standard of play. Is this not the case?

Also is the non-Tourney version limit only? It is on the demo & I cant see a reference to NL or PL variations?

--Previous Message--

: I think the difference is that I have the tournament version which does not
: have variable setups.
:
: Thanks for your feedback anyways.
:
: --Previous Message--
:
: realistic, and the play I have engaged in the L.A. clubs like Commerce and
: Bicycle fell right in line with the simulated training. The software traps
: and
: bluffs also, and does so very well IMHO.
:
: You may want to try changing the default "lineup" that comes with the
: software. You can load various lineups of players in accordance with the
: type
: of players you expect. There are several low-limit lineups you can select
: from
: if you are playing low-limit games. And lineups for passive, agressive,

(...)
Derringer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:23 am
I do not know about the tourney version. The standard version has fixed limit and spread limit settings, but no pot limits or unlimited settings.

I think as a training simulator, unlimited play would be unrealistic anyways, being that one would have to propose starting chip counts at the final table, and then how players would react with various counts. That's an artificial intelligence problem, that I would challenge any other software type simulator to do correctly. And especially at the low cost that Wilson sells for.

However, I do say that this is the best product out there for beginners, IMHO. If one is already in tourneys, and doing well, then one probably doesn't need a simulator anyway.

The Wilson simulator has helped me win in the Gardena, California area card rooms as a beginner. So I do recommend it, along with adjunct and patient study of books like Lee Jones'. In fact the cost of the simulator and my intitial set of reading materials was recovered on my first outing to the Gardena clubs. Well worth the cost I would say.

As for the lineups on the demos, I don't know. I ditched the demos after I bought the products. Best to ask the software company. They do answer their e-mail inquiries.

Cheers.

--Previous Message--

: I was interested in looking at these and dowloaded the demos which havent
: enticed me buy.
:
: I thought you could change the set up in the tournament version to include the
: standard of play. Is this not the case?
:
: Also is the non-Tourney version limit only? It is on the demo & I cant see a
: reference to NL or PL variations?
:
:
: I think the difference is that I have the tournament version which does not
: have variable setups.
:
: Thanks for your feedback anyways.
:
:

(...)
Derringer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:31 pm
Oh! One other thing I liked about the Wilson simulator is the ability to play with all cards facing up. That's right, you can play while seeing everyone else's hand.

Kinda of takes the "fun" out of poker, eh? And why would anyone want to do such a silly thing?

Well I found it useful for testing Sklansky's "Fundamental Theorem of Poker". Hence this served me as a good way of training myself to avoid the "mistakes" Sklansky talks about in his book with respect to the theorem. The "mistake recognition exercise" I call it, and I think it has helped me to think about all the other possibilites that opponents may have when I am blind, since I have visualized these in reality via the face-up training. Any thoughts??

--Previous Message--

: Anyone got any comments re: Tournament Turbo Hold em by Wilson Software.
:
: I was under the impression that this was a good simulation and rated by a
: number of people. However, having just received my copy its AI seems
: mindnumbingly unrealistic.
:
: Can anyone advise superior software i.e. one where the opponents may actually
: act as if they were playing poker!!
:
: Appreciate any feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: