Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
TraceT
Quads

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
My Son has offered to buy me a new laptop for my birthday.

He's willing to spend up to 350. My only definite 'must haves' are built in bluetooth and wifi. I'm not interested in a built-in webcam, so that's not a necessity.

I currently have a HP Compaq nc6220 which is dying a slow death, but has been a brilliant laptop up to now.

All I really do on it nowadays is watch downloaded movies/tv shows, poker once in a blue moon. Mainly use it for surfing/facebook etc.

Can anyone recommend one to me?

I've seen this one on Tesco HP G62-B20 Laptop. I don't have to have HP and have looked on Novatech's website. Would prefer it to come with Windows 7 pre-installed and not really happy about having to pay extra for it. I can probably get it installed at work for free.

All help greatly appreciated.

Trace

A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We're flexible like that!! Smile
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Tell him if he really loves his mum he would stretch it to 500 Whistle
TraceT
Quads

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:41 pm
Indestructible wrote:
Tell him if he really loves his mum he would stretch it to 500 Whistle

I'm used to him spending about 30 on me Indy - I feel embarrassed he wants to spend that much. Although saying that his Grandad is putting 100 to it. haha

Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We're flexible like that!! Smile
gandalf55
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 pm
I bought a Dell about 10 days ago. A little bit over the budget (and I mean little). Pretty impressed with it so far.

Gurth gothrim Tel'Quessir
TraceT
Quads

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:57 pm
gandalf55 wrote:
I bought a Dell about 10 days ago. A little bit over the budget (and I mean little). Pretty impressed with it so far.

Dell confuses me!! Confused

Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:26 pm
it confuses you, they all usually just have windows on them and work pretty much the same way surely

it really depends what you want to do with it, if I was going to get a new laptop for instance I'd want it small light with as high a resolution screen as possible, unfortunately the only one fitting that bill is the vaio z which is mega bucks

I will go out on a limb and say 100% of laptops have wifi these days, bluetooth not so common apart from on business ones but you can find it if you look

I'm guessing you aren't going to be using it much for gaming? size and weight are really the biggest considerations I would have thought, if you are using it at home most the time batter life may not be that big a deal (as you can plug it in and should get at least 4 hours at the least)? if you are going to be carrying it around more then perhaps a lighter smaller one could be better (and I don't just mean carrying to and from the car!)

along with the screen size resolution is the other factor, while I like to have a high one so you can fit more on the screen that does also tend to make everything smaller (though there are ways around that)

do you care if it has a blu ray drive, or is dvd rw fine, or does it even have to have an optical drive at all, I've not used the cdrom in my current laptop a single time but everyone has different priorities

this looks alright for the money if you just want something for web browsing and general office type work: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo...L510_1079081.html 279 down from 450 review of it at http://www.notebookreview.com/default...vo+thinkpad+sl510 think it has a matt rather than glossy screen too which is a bonus, not 100% certain tho

they don't look very flashy, that isn't their target market, certainly not one for apple loving magpies but I like the understated looks

lenovo also aren't some cheap stuff like acer (though this is obv the lower end of the lenovo thinkpad range) they do have good keyboards though which is usually something you use a lot on a laptop!

this asus doesn't look too bad has more ram and storage space processor is worse but fine for aforementioned use and the lenovo processor aint all that either apparently http://www.laskys.com/computing/lapto...x5dij_sx536v.html doesn't have bluetooth though (I'm surprised you actually use that anyway, you sure you really need it?)

just as always before spending money, do a research for reviews and if possible user opinions, notebookreviews is where I usually check including the forum (under discussion) for user experiences

those are both 15" so may not be what you are after, but you haven't really said but given what you said you use it for pretty much anything that works should suffice as long as it works ;]
Pie
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 pm
Don't know much about laptops (never owned one), buy found this right at the limit of your budget:
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Dell_I...501R_1077418.html

Not sure if it's any better than the stuff Grumbledook has posted though
TraceT
Quads

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Thanking you both muchly x

pembo
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm
www.ebuyer.com is your friend

Cheap stuff and fast delivery, never had a single problem with them ever.
oldbloke
Quads

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:20 pm
ISTR you work in an HE establishment. You may be able to get discount on Dells.
When we bought my missus's lappy we were going to buy through Man Uni but spotted a Special Deal on Dell's site that saved a few more quid so didn't, in the end.
Or maybe your place has a discount deal with somebody else.

Last computer I bought came from CostCo, often they're not great on tech products as the market moves so fast, but their deal on this HP was outstanding. Not sure what they have in at the mo in the way of lappies, but if you have (or know somebody who has) a card it's worth checking.
TraceT
Quads

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:49 pm
oldbloke wrote:
ISTR you work in an HE establishment. You may be able to get discount on Dells.
When we bought my missus's lappy we were going to buy through Man Uni but spotted a Special Deal on Dell's site that saved a few more quid so didn't, in the end.
Or maybe your place has a discount deal with somebody else.

Last computer I bought came from CostCo, often they're not great on tech products as the market moves so fast, but their deal on this HP was outstanding. Not sure what they have in at the mo in the way of lappies, but if you have (or know somebody who has) a card it's worth checking.

Thanks Pembo. I'll check that out.

OB - I do work in HE, but we only sell refurb'd ones. If I was buying it myself, it would be a viable option, but as it's a b'day pressie, I'd feel like I was ripping myself off. lol I did mean to email one of the technicians today and ask his advice, but I was so busy I forgot! We prob do have a deal through someone, but they wouldn't allow me to do it that way. Sad

I don't know anyone with a CostCo card. I do have a Makro one but they don't always work out cheaper.

Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:21 am
Warwick Uni staff can join CostCo as individual members, still costs 30 quid, not sure if that applies to uni staff across the country.
oldbloke
Quads

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:39 am
Checkov wrote:
Warwick Uni staff can join CostCo as individual members, still costs 30 quid, not sure if that applies to uni staff across the country.

Yes, it does, it's how I got my card
SeanFoley
Quads

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:39 pm
Would just like to re-open this thread, as I too am looking to get a laptop for the first time. However, unlike Trace, I am solely looking to use it for poker. I do not want to clog it up with loads of rubbish like I have with my current pc, which grumbles constantly and sometimes switches itself off without warning. Evil or Very Mad

Is there any recommendations anyone could make?
What are the most important things I should look for, if poker playing is the primary purpose of the laptop?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this type of question has been asked before, but I didn't want one then Wink .
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 pm
size / weight / screen resolution / price

those are really the things you need to decide on, the rest is much of muchness for just playing poker on

feel free to post any links and your requirements on those factors and I'll happily give my opinion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Non-Poker General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: