Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
placemat
Straight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I've taken a long break and came back played a few small buyin comps and a few larger.Takes me an hour to get there and played 3 hands and home in the latest and starting to wonder if my strategy isn't correct !
Ive always thought its better to play loose early ,double or treble up and Tighten up Later on ratherbthan waiting for cards that rarely come.As the comp goes on make sure im quite a bit over "the mythical average" by making plays at the right time.I have noticed you can get away, in bigger buyin tourneys playing loose, 'cause people are scared of going out early.

So the real question is correct to play loose early ? Or is there good reason to sit tight ?

Online poker Im sure you have to play tight cause of the amount of cards you see but live ?
DropTheHammer
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Depends on what your hands were and how you played them!? I can certainly say that there are many set-ups/coolers that would mean a legitimate early exit from a tournament.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to amass a large stack early, or bust out and do something else, (as long as you are not playing overly loose-agressive and just become a spew-merchant or continual non-believer, as your table will [probably] adjust to your play) but some people want to get more entertainment for their money and are happy to play tight. It's horses for courses.
stowjon
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 pm
i agree with phil

Horses for courses

nuff said
paddymick
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:57 pm
I seem to remember this article by The Dean being interesting reading on the subject

http://www.thehendonmob.com/forum/vie...amp;highlight=mtt
galty
Flush

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 pm
paddymick wrote:
I seem to remember this article by The Dean being interesting reading on the subject

http://www.thehendonmob.com/forum/vie...amp;highlight=mtt

Think that article was for on line players mostly.

An extremely annoying person who usually thinks they are smart and/or funny, but is actually very stupid.
placemat
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:20 am
I'm there to win I went out this time with 86d on 567 v 10 10 he took ages and went all in.I snap called thinking it was a coin flip. I'd managed a win and a forth in Dec by getting chips early .I feel bare without more than average.im not sure what answer I was looking for but when I first started playing 20 years ago I'd play super tight and always end up around the final but never winning as the big stacks just gamble and knocked my big pair or ak out.I really wanted to hear tight players telling me I'm wrong I guess 😞
placemat
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:20 am
I'm there to win I went out this time with 86d on 567 v 10 10 he took ages and went all in.I snap called thinking it was a coin flip. I'd managed a win and a forth in Dec by getting chips early .I feel bare without more than average.im not sure what answer I was looking for but when I first started playing 20 years ago I'd play super tight and always end up around the final but never winning as the big stacks just gamble and knocked my big pair or ak out.I really wanted to hear tight players telling me I'm wrong I guess 😞
helloboiz
One Pair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:38 am
Think the guy with the 10s showed you, play good hands that will win if you cannot play the player and his stack. If you had mid pair and bet or raised and he called, I would be worried and would not be putting my tournament life at risk for a low% chance of hitting. Maybe you just got unlucky or have lost confidence? Keep at it, good luck Smile
DropTheHammer
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:22 am
placemat wrote:
I feel bare without more than average.

When I play a tournament I am rarely (never) concerned with what the average stack is. All I care about is my own in relation to the big blind. I don't want to be dropping below 12 as you still have some fold equity 3-betting a standard 2.5x open.
placemat
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am
It's a similar view though drop just a different measure.
galty
Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm
placemat wrote:
I'm there to win I went out this time with 86d on 567 v 10 10 he took ages and went all in.

I would say that he was playing the player and not his own cards if he took ages, he knew that you where a LAG with a wide range, he might have checked and would not have gone all in against a tight player.

An extremely annoying person who usually thinks they are smart and/or funny, but is actually very stupid.
placemat
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 pm
Only played a few hands many players in these comps are only thinking about their own cards.my question really is should I be all in at this stage?
galty
Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:35 pm
placemat wrote:
Only played a few hands many players in these comps are only thinking about their own cards.my question really is should I be all in at this stage?

No way you only had a 40% chance of improving your hand and maybe against a better hand, two pairs where a no no you needed to hit a run or set to win, to me when he went all in an instant fold.

Marcus6
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:38 pm
placemat wrote:

why call?, if he has tanked jammed! what are you puting him on? he could have anything from 89 suited to a set to an over pair like he did have!
Mikey Leonard
One Pair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:13 pm
Early on you have to work out what the other players on the table are like, get an idea of their range and the image you want to portray to them. I find varying play throughout the levels helps. For example trying to steal pots pre in the early levels and just slowly and steadily build your stack up instead of waiting for premium hands and going broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: