Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:52 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Season over for City Sad
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Indestructible wrote:
Season over for City Sad

What a difference a week makes. Almost certain to be out against Barce and it is looking increasingly likely that Chelsea could nudge this title. If City do come 2nd to Chelsea then I think the season will not have gone down too well with the owners. If you look at a CL last 16 exit, losing in the last 8 of the FA Cup at home to a championship side, 2nd in the league in what was in my opinion a 2-horse race and winning the smallest of the four available trophies then that isn't good enough for a team that on paper at least have the best squad in the league.

If City don't win the league then Pellegrini will be under pressure next season presuming he survives. But this is what you get when you get proven winners as managers and that is what Chelsea have got and is why United are suffering and probably City as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 pm
Yeah and for that reason I backed Chelsea at start of season, although getting a bit tired of Chelsea fans repeating Mourinho rubbish about not going for league this year.
As for City if you told me at start of season that City would get through Champions league group for the first time and would end our 38 year wait for a league cup I would have taken it.
Recent weeks our goal machines have crashed and only down to our midfield that we have a trophy.
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:24 pm
so there is no double/treble/quadruple? (delete as they tumble out)
sundance
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:43 pm
Indestructible wrote:
Yeah and for that reason I backed Chelsea at start of season, although getting a bit tired of Chelsea fans repeating Mourinho rubbish about not going for league this year.
As for City if you told me at start of season that City would get through Champions league group for the first time and would end our 38 year wait for a league cup I would have taken it.
Recent weeks our goal machines have crashed and only down to our midfield that we have a trophy.

Yeah I bet

What about if you spend 200m in the summer, still happy with top 4?

I bet Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 am
sundance wrote:
Indestructible wrote:

Yeah I bet

What about if you spend 200m in the summer, still happy with top 4?

I bet Smile

its true though sundance. they can offset that the billions invested with the 45.78 they got for winning the league cup. what a huge club they are.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 pm
We have won all of the domestic trophies over recent years so yes I am happy. Obv recent glory hunters at City may not feel the same. But winning the league cup meant a lot to me. Cool
TheBlueBoy
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 am
Indestructible wrote:
We have won all of the domestic trophies over recent years so yes I am happy. Obv recent glory hunters at City may not feel the same. But winning the league cup meant a lot to me. Cool

Winning any trophy should mean a lot to any fan, but with the dough you's have spunked on players the last few years do you think the league cup is a satisfactory return. Obviously you are still in the CL/PL and good luck with them, but if they go tits up, do you think it will have been a successful season for invested?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm
2011 won the FA Cup vs Stoke
2012 won the league on goal difference after a team found out it was safe and gave up.
2014 won League Cup vs Sunderland.

Its like an idiot buying 2 million lottery tickets to guarantee a win of a million and then not winning. Massive, massive club.
City are a joke. An embarrassment to the league. I will be able to add United to that soon when we abandon our youth policy of the the last 30 years and spend 200 million on players.I can see Moyes buying another 4 number 10s as that is all he sees able to buy.
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm
darrensprengers wrote:
2011 won the FA Cup vs Stoke
2012 won the league on goal difference after a team found out it was safe and gave up.
2014 won League Cup vs Sunderland.

Its like an idiot buying 2 million lottery tickets to guarantee a win of a million and then not winning. Massive, massive club.
City are a joke. An embarrassment to the league. I will be able to add United to that soon when we abandon our youth policy of the the last 30 years and spend 200 million on players.I can see Moyes buying another 4 number 10s as that is all he sees able to buy.

Sprengers I am curious........could City win ANYTHING in your eyes without you finding something wrong with it Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:32 pm
He won't admit that United have just been buying trophies over recent years, no difference to City or Chelsea.
Won't be long and the bookies can start paying out on my Chelsea bet at the start of the season to win the Prem. Cool
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm
Indestructible wrote:
He won't admit that United have just been buying trophies over recent years, no difference to City or Chelsea.
Won't be long and the bookies can start paying out on my Chelsea bet at the start of the season to win the Prem. Cool

Everybody has bought trophies down the years. The only thing that has changed is the amounts that they have bought them far. We can go back to Blackburn in the early 90's with Jack Walker and even the salaries that sides like Liverpool were paying in the 70's and 80's. The price of trophies has increased especially the Prem and the CL in the same way that clubs also have to "buy" their Prem status.

Bottom line is that if you want success then you PAY!!!!!!! No different to success anywhere else and look at F1 as an example where the top teams are also "buying" F1 wins and world titles. The question is whether or not you are getting value back for what you spend just like it always is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:08 pm
brian clough won the league with derby and notts forest. hardly bought the league.
United were 2nd tier at least when fergie came in and won the league and turned united into the monster it is now.
Maybe it is sad that there will not be another manager like fergie, shankly, fagan et al. Mourinho is probably closest as he was successful with porto and won the champions league.
How badly united were not buying the league can be seen by how badly the team did this year when it is a pretty weak side hardly spending any money for years. winning the league last year with that team may go down as his greatest achievement. although the other teams gifting the league did help.

i will be fair to city. this year they started playign some very exciting attacking entertaining football. i was genuinely worried for a few months they might potentially win the european cup and i would never be able to go to manchester again. talking to other mancs i realised i was not alone in this concern. we even said we hope they get a juventus type team int he next round to sit back and take a 1-0 win and then lock the door in the away league to knock out the city. once in the final they would have every chance against anyone in a one off game.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 pm
Quote:
[quote="darrensprengers"]brian clough won the league with derby and notts forest. hardly bought the league.

Darren......if we go far enough back mate then I am sure that The Wanderers won the league in the 1880's with a total expenditure of around twelve shillings but I think we are in a different era Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: