Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Balm Me
Straight


Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
it was only a friendly, but cappo learnt so much, never ever play that long dangling useless piece of beanpole crouch again, he was beaten in the air by a dwarf 6 times and he cannot control the ball, dowling was the worst player on the pitch again.

johnson looked out of his depth, agbonlahor got no service, calamity james looks like the best we've got, jagielka looked like terry butcher being twisted inside out al la van basten time and time again.

SWP looks like a decent backup, heskey looked dangerous. ashley cole needs to defend instead of relying on SWP to get him out of jail time after time.

the team is crippled with injuries, but if thats the backup, we are doomed.
_________________
If you dont know your rights, then you dont have any. (Freeman Philosophy)
Checkov
Royal Flush


Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Posts: 10111

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
We've been knocked out of 3 out of the last 5 world cups on penalties ffs and cheated out of the one before that.
Nem
Royal Flush


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 17557

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Grumbledook wrote:
I was going to post an interesting point but by the time I clicked replay and the page loaded I forgot what it was.

So I posted this instead, no need to thank me.


post count whore







































Embarassed
fraac
Banned


Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 4399

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:22 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
My view remains the same. England lose for the same reason anyone loses: because they want to. It's every Englishman's heritage and divine right to go out on penalties and feel cheated. That's the win for them. With those players they should have done much better, they just don't want to.
The Dean
Straight Flush


Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: with position on you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:43 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
fraac wrote:
My view remains the same. England lose for the same reason anyone loses: because they want to. It's every Englishman's heritage and divine right to go out on penalties and feel cheated. That's the win for them. With those players they should have done much better, they just don't want to.




I tend to think that there is strong elements of truth in what you say and have said so several times on this forum in the past. I think we have motivational issues associated with playing International football with SOME players.

International football has decreased in importance massively in this country......the probem is that the fans still get swept along with it (myself included because I passionately want us to win).

I have long thought that players feign injuries and deliberately pick up bookings to avoid certain matches and have thought so for years. What Steve Bennett has come out and said recently just fuels that belief even more but how do you go about proving something like that?

But as an add on to what I said earlier (nothing to do with your post fraac), I was simply saying that we "can" win it. If you discount the volume of patriotic support that squeezes the price and England being around 9/1 - 10/1 when they really should be 16/1-20/1 then they can still win it.

But people who say that England cannot win are basically saying that a 16/1 chance has no chance which cannot possibly be correct. Teams and competitors have defied far greater odds than that and won. Greece in Euro 2004 (150/1).....Shaun Murphy winning at the Crucible in 2005 (150/1) just spring to mind.

What would the price have been on a horse about to be put down and a jockey fighting cancer of ever combining to win the Grand National but yet it happened in 1981. What were the odds at the back end of 1991 of Denmark winning Euro 92 the following year.......pretty damn big based on the fact that they hadnt even qualified.

Or England recovering to win the 81 test at Headingly (500/1). So England can win the World Cup........it just isnt likely. And with tournaments every four years, many of which will be in climates not conducive to European nations then we likely wont see it in our lifetime.
_________________
Carl Sampson can also be seen on his blog at www.pokersharkpool.com
darrensprengers
Misclick


Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Posts: 7551

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
The Dean wrote:
fraac wrote:
My view remains the same. England lose for the same reason anyone loses: because they want to. It's every Englishman's heritage and divine right to go out on penalties and feel cheated. That's the win for them. With those players they should have done much better, they just don't want to.




I tend to think that there is strong elements of truth in what you say and have said so several times on this forum in the past. I think we have motivational issues associated with playing International football with SOME players.

International football has decreased in importance massively in this country......the probem is that the fans still get swept along with it (myself included because I passionately want us to win).

I have long thought that players feign injuries and deliberately pick up bookings to avoid certain matches and have thought so for years. What Steve Bennett has come out and said recently just fuels that belief even more but how do you go about proving something like that?

But as an add on to what I said earlier (nothing to do with your post fraac), I was simply saying that we "can" win it. If you discount the volume of patriotic support that squeezes the price and England being around 9/1 - 10/1 when they really should be 16/1-20/1 then they can still win it.

But people who say that England cannot win are basically saying that a 16/1 chance has no chance which cannot possibly be correct. Teams and competitors have defied far greater odds than that and won. Greece in Euro 2004 (150/1).....Shaun Murphy winning at the Crucible in 2005 (150/1) just spring to mind.

What would the price have been on a horse about to be put down and a jockey fighting cancer of ever combining to win the Grand National but yet it happened in 1981. What were the odds at the back end of 1991 of Denmark winning Euro 92 the following year.......pretty damn big based on the fact that they hadnt even qualified.

Or England recovering to win the 81 test at Headingly (500/1). So England can win the World Cup........it just isnt likely. And with tournaments every four years, many of which will be in climates not conducive to European nations then we likely wont see it in our lifetime.


Odds and lines are set on form and amount of money placed. For some reason people believe that because England "never win" that we cant win it. Its no more unlikely than italia winning the last world cup, france in 1998 etc. Its just that people particularly scottish people i have noticed love to say you wont win the world cup and then tell you i told you so after the world cup.

Anybody that says england have no chance of winning the world cup as a top 10 team in the world clearly does not understand probability. Anyone that wins any tournament be it football, poker, etc has defied the odds. You can train,study,practice and give yourself an edge. Federer and phil "the power" taylor have massive edges but you cant garauntee success for every tournament. By reversing that rationale if nodody can garauntee success then anybody can win it. How likely this is comes back to edge and odds.

Its like the people playing roulette watching the numbers that came before it to spot some pattern. Brazil, germany, italia in the past have won lots of world cups between them. This only effect there odds because idiots place money on these factors. The chances of winning the world cup are based on current form and make up of the team. Currently we are top ten and playing ok.
monkier
Straight


Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 294
Location: Harrogate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Tiger Balm Me wrote:
it was only a friendly, but cappo learnt so much, never ever play that long dangling useless piece of beanpole crouch again, he was beaten in the air by a dwarf 6 times and he cannot control the ball, dowling was the worst player on the pitch again.


I'm always astounded at how bad Crouch is in the air. You'd have thought a man of that size would have put countless hours into practicing his abilities, making sure he was the best header of the ball and had the ability to control high balls like no other forward, but he's so appalling in th air. It beggers belief.

Also completely agree with Dowling. He's pretty useless and shouldn't be getting a look in IMO.

Edit: Spelling
madride
Straight Flush


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 2990
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
darrensprengers wrote:
Its just that people particularly scottish people i have noticed love to say you wont win the world cup and then tell you i told you so after the world cup.


Now now Naughty
_________________
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Grumbledook
Royal Flush


Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 16061

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
crouch was always a lanky bast so never learnt how to jump
The Dean
Straight Flush


Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: with position on you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
darrensprengers wrote:
The Dean wrote:
fraac wrote:
My view remains the same. England lose for the same reason anyone loses: because they want to. It's every Englishman's heritage and divine right to go out on penalties and feel cheated. That's the win for them. With those players they should have done much better, they just don't want to.




I tend to think that there is strong elements of truth in what you say and have said so several times on this forum in the past. I think we have motivational issues associated with playing International football with SOME players.

International football has decreased in importance massively in this country......the probem is that the fans still get swept along with it (myself included because I passionately want us to win).

I have long thought that players feign injuries and deliberately pick up bookings to avoid certain matches and have thought so for years. What Steve Bennett has come out and said recently just fuels that belief even more but how do you go about proving something like that?

But as an add on to what I said earlier (nothing to do with your post fraac), I was simply saying that we "can" win it. If you discount the volume of patriotic support that squeezes the price and England being around 9/1 - 10/1 when they really should be 16/1-20/1 then they can still win it.

But people who say that England cannot win are basically saying that a 16/1 chance has no chance which cannot possibly be correct. Teams and competitors have defied far greater odds than that and won. Greece in Euro 2004 (150/1).....Shaun Murphy winning at the Crucible in 2005 (150/1) just spring to mind.

What would the price have been on a horse about to be put down and a jockey fighting cancer of ever combining to win the Grand National but yet it happened in 1981. What were the odds at the back end of 1991 of Denmark winning Euro 92 the following year.......pretty damn big based on the fact that they hadnt even qualified.

Or England recovering to win the 81 test at Headingly (500/1). So England can win the World Cup........it just isnt likely. And with tournaments every four years, many of which will be in climates not conducive to European nations then we likely wont see it in our lifetime.


Odds and lines are set on form and amount of money placed. For some reason people believe that because England "never win" that we cant win it. Its no more unlikely than italia winning the last world cup, france in 1998 etc. Its just that people particularly scottish people i have noticed love to say you wont win the world cup and then tell you i told you so after the world cup.

Anybody that says england have no chance of winning the world cup as a top 10 team in the world clearly does not understand probability. Anyone that wins any tournament be it football, poker, etc has defied the odds. You can train,study,practice and give yourself an edge. Federer and phil "the power" taylor have massive edges but you cant garauntee success for every tournament. By reversing that rationale if nodody can garauntee success then anybody can win it. How likely this is comes back to edge and odds.

Its like the people playing roulette watching the numbers that came before it to spot some pattern. Brazil, germany, italia in the past have won lots of world cups between them. This only effect there odds because idiots place money on these factors. The chances of winning the world cup are based on current form and make up of the team. Currently we are top ten and playing ok.




+1


Also another factor to consider with regards football is in just how much playing time there is in an average match. I once read from a reliable source that there was only 60-65 minutes of actual playing time in an average football match. Discounting retrieving the ball for corners, time taken over free kicks, corners, keeper delaying a few seconds before releasing etc etc.

This condensing of playing time can only assist the weaker team as the superior team has less time to assert that superiority. In fact I have often thought that deliberate time wasting tactics at the very start of a match while the score is still 0-0 would impact on the number of times that an inferior side actually won.
_________________
Carl Sampson can also be seen on his blog at www.pokersharkpool.com
darrensprengers
Misclick


Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Posts: 7551

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:18 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
madride wrote:
darrensprengers wrote:
Its just that people particularly scottish people i have noticed love to say you wont win the world cup and then tell you i told you so after the world cup.


Now now Naughty


lol. like its not true!

My Scottish friends love Englands penalty shoot outs.
BugsBunny
Legend


Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 4301
Location: Swing trading rock star!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
darrensprengers wrote:
madride wrote:
darrensprengers wrote:
Its just that people particularly scottish people i have noticed love to say you wont win the world cup and then tell you i told you so after the world cup.


Now now Naughty


lol. like its not true!

My Scottish friends love Englands penalty shoot outs.


I'm Scottish and i cheer on England 100%, just as i would Wales and N.Ireland.

I know what you mean though......

****

Also, with your post above, i'm starting to think Scotland are in with a shout Laughing
monkier
Straight


Joined: 28 May 2006
Posts: 294
Location: Harrogate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
darrensprengers wrote:
madride wrote:
darrensprengers wrote:
Its just that people particularly scottish people i have noticed love to say you wont win the world cup and then tell you i told you so after the world cup.


Now now Naughty


lol. like its not true!

My Scottish friends love Englands penalty shoot outs.


Penalty shoot outs are awesome when you don't care too much about who wins or loses.
Rmaccov
Straight Flush


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 4023
Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
BugsBunny wrote:
I'm Scottish and i cheer on England 100%, just as i would Wales and N.Ireland.


I'm the same as Dean but can't argue with Darrens point either. I'm a member of the Scotland supporters club and go to all home games but I get pretty embarrassed when the tartan army start singing anti-England songs and would never join in.
Checkov
Royal Flush


Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Posts: 10111

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Rmaccov wrote:
BugsBunny wrote:
I'm Scottish and i cheer on England 100%, just as i would Wales and N.Ireland.


I'm the same as Dean but can't argue with Darrens point either. I'm a member of the Scotland supporters club and go to all home games but I get pretty embarrassed when the tartan army start singing anti-England songs and would never join in.


I support all the home nations also. The English may take the piss out of Scotish football, but generally want you to do well.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum