View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Reverend
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Link

Cannot understand how White gets the white to stop as it does after coming off a cushion!
dezza666
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I'm no expert - but looks like heavy top side (neutered by the cushion) with a lot of check-side. I think ironically - the cleaner/harder the strike - the more likely the cue ball ends up in position.
*Yes*
Straight

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 pm
Haha wow!

Its strange that I don't remember anyone doing this in all the years I've watch the game.

Maybe they are laughing because it was a fluke?
TheBlueBoy
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 pm
*Yes* wrote:
Haha wow!

Its strange that I don't remember anyone doing this in all the years I've watch the game.

Maybe they are laughing because it was a fluke?

It wasn't a fluke, seen him do an even better shot on a yellow which I'll try and find. I'll ask my mate to give a technical explanation.
Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:12 am
dezza666 wrote:
I'm no expert - but looks like heavy top side (neutered by the cushion) with a lot of check-side. I think ironically - the cleaner/harder the strike - the more likely the cue ball ends up in position.

Friction can cause the spin to reverse, doesn't happen when the cue-ball hits the object ball as the coefficient of friction is very low.

I've seen TV pool noobs come up out of position playing top-spin shots near the cushions, presumably the TV lights increase the coefficient of friction of the cushions.
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 am
dezza666 wrote:

I have played a lot of snooker and pool down the years and used to mess about doing all sorts of crazy stuff to spice the game up. This effect is a result of what dezza said and is combination of side and cushion effect.

Jimmy used to hit the ball with tremendous power but IIRC he also had the end of his cue removed and lead weights added and then had the cue re-spliced. So out of all the pro's at the time..... JW was the most likely to pull this type of shot off.

I have done shots that had a similar effect but the end result wasn't as dramatic as what Jimmy achieved here. I think the combination of extra weight in his cue and power along with the side caused this effect. Also if I recall, Jimmy had a non-standard tip diameter and so that may have added to the effect also.

Can't say for certain my explanation is correct though so don't quote me
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:36 pm
Jimmy's a 6lb claimer compared to this fella

Link

It was one of the privileges of my poker life to watch Barny win his bracelet, putting on a master class in front of an audience who would have run onto the stage and carried him over the ****ing line if thats what it was going to take. There is bracelets and there is bracelets. This was one of the very special ones...Padraig Parkinson
Seb
Full House

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:57 pm
I shrieked with delight at some of those.
Matt101
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 am
Basically there's so much top-spin on the ball and so little distance between the object ball and cushion that the cushion doesn't stop the cue ball from spinning, so it comes off the cushion spinning backwards as if it was struck underneath with an extreme amount of drag.

Stunning shot though, if I tried that both balls would end up on the floor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: