View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueForm
Trips

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Just lately I've been taking a battering at the tables. It's not through bad play (well I don't think so anyway) but more through continuous suckouts.

So what do you guys do to combat this bad run of luck? Should I take a break or just soldier on? I know deep down I should be taking money off these guys. I only get it in when way ahead but these sucker punches with them hitting two and three outers all the time take there toll. I almost expect to lose every time now.

I've had a rough few days but today kicked me right where it hurts ... I flopped a set 3 times, got it all in way ahead, and got rivered 3 times.

1: Had JJ v KK. Flop is J-x-x. He shoved, I call, river is a K
2: Had 10-10 v QQ. Flop is 10-x-x. He shoved, I call, river Q

And the final blow which made me literally shut down the PC before I punched it, was a horrible 1 outer.

I had 77 and 3 of us saw the flop. It came down Q-7-3. The short stack pushed, I pushed also hoping to get heads up with him, but the 3rd guy called. One had AA, the other had AQ. It couldn't have been better for me. The turn was a blank, so I just had to dodge the one ace in the pack on the river. As you might of guessed, the river was the case ace.

So, take a break or keep riding that horse? How do you guys deal with situation?
PLAYERS LOUNGE
Straight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
i take it these were online?

just the norm and you have to ride it i think, but the plays you described when yr opponents shoved, from their seat the flops looked good then they just hit lucky.

i have started playing really reckless on stars mtt for last few days in early stages and it is mad how you can chip up, calling real bad draws etc, but then after getting chips play normal and the final hand of any game on stars seems to be a bad beat.

was always told if you get yr chips in good and lose thats part of the game,,,,,,,,,,,,but it still pisses us off!

i think you should just ride it and it will soon change, we just seem to remember the shit beats more.
Pasty Power
Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 am
TrueForm wrote:
So what do you guys do to combat this bad run of luck? Should I take a break or just soldier on?

There is nothing you can do to combat bad luck (unless you have a rabbit's foot or 4 leaf clover), all you can do is make sure you are properly bankrolled in order to ride it out.

Whether or not you should take a break depends on how you feel it has affected your game. If you don't feel you are playing your A game, take a break until you feel you are able to do so. Judging by the proliferation of bad beat stories in your recent posts, maybe a break is in order!
Pizzicato
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 am
Heroin
ams54321
Two Pair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 am
Pasty Power wrote:
TrueForm wrote:
So what do you guys do to combat this bad run of luck? Should I take a break or just soldier on?

There is nothing you can do to combat bad luck

The examples given are not bad luck per se. Just because the OP has flopped a set, flopped sets arent always the winning hand by the river. We all know that.

The OP needs to understand that yes, this is a game of skill, but it is very heavily influenced in the short term by the RANDOM TURNING OF CARDS. Not bad luck or good luck. If this is understood, then nothing needs to be done to ride anything out.
X
Quads

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 am
Pasty Power wrote:
There is nothing you can do to combat bad luck

Gary Player wrote:
The more I practice, the luckier I get
Gary Player is generally regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of golf

Seriously though, if you're getting your money in with the best of it - especially when you have a nice clear margin - then keep at it. As long as it's not affecting your [positive expectation] game, you should try not to feel to bad.

When you find that your game is changing, and you are pushing in more marginal situations OR if you are finding it's taking some of the fun out of the game for you THEN it's time to take a rest.

I always find a smug "NH WP" after a nasty suckout does me the world of good in avoiding tilt, and (if the opponent has anything about them) can even affect your opponent, who can become unreasonably determined to beat you again!

Hang in there, we all know how you feel! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: