View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulmakiu
High Card

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I play a lot of poker every day and with the bad run I been having, playing has become real stressful, and the fun is gone that I once had. Like when I make mistakes or have a real bad beat, I carry all that around with me for days trying to figure out what happened. Could I have played it different and got away from the hand. That I don't like. So for awhile I will be playing for pennies, very low buy in tournys, and of course my forums freerolls, and other freerolls. I just want it to be fun again. Any advice. Should I just stop playing for a time?
skinnydookie
Straight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Everyone remembers the bad beats but forgets when you have been lucky. Do it the other way round.

Also play live more then online - more fun.
richardjinx
One Pair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 pm
The 'play live' is good advice.

I tend to go out wanting to exit the tournament with a bad beat or to be caught bluffing. When the bad beats happen (and they will) I reconcile myself knowing that that was the aim. It has to be a genuine bad beat though, if I've given someone the correct odds to call me or not done enough to push a gambler off a hand then I don't regard those as bad beats, but bad play on my side.

When analysising your hands afterwards only look at how you played don't concern yourself with how it ended up. Also don't beat yourself up for making mistakes, I make plenty every time I play, just try to learn from them.

The other thing I do is to try and concentrate on one thing everytime I go out. It may be trying to play super tight for an hour, I then count how many consecutive folds I can make. I may go out wanting to try a huge re steal and wait until the right time to make that play, or I might want to bus stop someone.

Try and enjoy the game, it can be fascinating.
Frodge
Trips

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 pm
Yes, take breaks from the game and try not to be too results oriented (http://pokerterms.com/results-oriented-thinking.html).

Also, remember that luck is king in poker and there is no "deserve" in poker.
galty
Flush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:30 am
Think if you cant handle bad beats taking a break will not help.

Bad beats are part of the game and you have to except them and not let them affect you.

Try reading "The Mental of Poker" that will help you a lot.

An extremely annoying person who usually thinks they are smart and/or funny, but is actually very stupid.
Once Bitten Twice Shy
One Pair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:45 am
From my own experiences with poker you have to learn to lose and not be affected by it. Poker isn't a game your going to win at 100% of the time so you need to be able to take the down swings. Your doing the right though though by anylizing your game and asking yourself if you done the right thing, if you can answer your questions with yes i done the right thing then you have nothing to worry about. If you ask your self if you done the right thing and the answer is yes and you still cant take the losses then poker is probably not your game.

Your going to have sessions where really bad players will win a few stacks and beat you it's really not an issue it happens, just be happy to make the correct decisions and win long term and enjoy the game, poker is fun it's not a chore.

I can honestly tell you from experience that if you cant handle a bad beat taking breaks doesnt help, simply because the very next time you play youll take a beat no matter how small and your mind set will revert right back to being that of the unlucky poker player. Also try playing for a week and don't look at your bank roll , make sure your properly rolled and just play your game.
paulmakiu
High Card

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 pm
THANKS Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:48 am
You have already done the most important thing in posting here and allowing yourself to talk about your "problem" openly. Carrying something with you for days and overthinking about what you did wrong are symptoms of anxiety. I do speak from experience as I suffered from undiagnosed anxiety disorders for more than 40 years, but was recently "cured".

Although poker often helped me to deal with some of my anxiety issues, it did also cause problems. In 2008 I had a phenomenal run in the APAT series - I was top of the rankings and earned a place in the England team for an international tournament held in Brighton. I earned some points for the team on day1, but on day2 I made a very bad call in a critical situation and blew the chance for the team to get on the winners podium. This caused me to have a major anxiety episode, and I did not touch poker for about 18 months. I played another APAT tournament in 2010 in Swansea and got to the final table, but again, a really bad move on my part caused anxiety to get the better of me, and I have not played live poker since.

The best advice I can give you is don't carry any baggage out of any game of poker you play. The game is over, you cannot change the result so why waste any mental energy worrying about what you woulda, coulda, shoulda done. The other thing you have to do is to forgive yourself for whatever mistakes you think you have made. Forget the past, don't worry about the future, just play the best you can in the game you are playing today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: