View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Trips

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Overexcited, unlucky or poor play? Thought it might be interesting to discuss some key hands...

My comments are based on game theory and basic maths. Any opinions and ICM-based observations most welcome.

1) I'm chip leader by a big margin and I have a small pocket pair. JanisSoprano is disconnected and the other 2 have tightened-up considerably. Don't want to see a flop with such a weak hand, their tourn lives are on the line, hopefully worst I'll face is a flip...

2) Pretty certain this hand is awful with too small a raise pre-flop and too weak a starting hand anyway (should've just folded - would've folded to a shove afterwards though). CB is probably too risky also...

3) Either way he/she was gonna call but should I have just folded pre? I'm OK with this one to be honest.

4) gemxxx played ultra-tight on the FT and shoved for < 10BBs. With that stack I don't think a raise is possible instead of a shove (and the shove looks less suspicious from his point of view) so I think his range is any pocket pair, A7 suited +, KJ suited, KQ. I think I'm ahead of a lot of his range so I call but it was a reluctant call. I was praying for an underpair but no. Should I have folded here on an ICM basis?

Any thoughts are welcome. I was pretty cheesed off to have such a big lead and then to end up finishing 4th.
JohnnySeaBet
Trips

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
all seems pretty standard to me.
2nd hand I think I c-bet just a touch smaller... (as I think a smaller c-bet can still get the job done... if I did actually smash that flop I'd be likely c-betting similiarly)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 pm
It was only just over half a pot c-bet but I know what you mean. Pokerjack would've needed at least one spade to call even if the bet was smaller (I think?)

On reflection I reckon you're right it was all fairly standard and I just got unlucky at then end of the tourn.
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 am
is it 6 max or is this the final table?
Frodge
Trips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:04 am
darrensprengers wrote:
is it 6 max or is this the final table?

It's the final table.
Marcus6
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Hi mate, even o you have a good stack, but i think if it was me the only hand i would play is the JJ,

you said it your self that hand 1 was weak so way play it? no need to!!

1) I'm chip leader by a big margin and I have a small pocket pair. JanisSoprano is disconnected and the other 2 have tightened-up considerably. Don't want to see a flop with such a weak hand, their tourn lives are on the line, hopefully worst I'll face is a flip...

Hand 2 you said is awful?? so you have to asked your self why play it!!

2) Pretty certain this hand is awful with too small a raise pre-flop and too weak a starting hand anyway (should've just folded - would've folded to a shove afterwards though). CB is probably too risky also...

Hand 3 you said he/she is going to call! so why play it if the odds are you going to chip him up??

3) Either way he/she was gonna call but should I have just folded pre? I'm OK with this one to be honest.

I feel hand 4 is not so easy as just call, as now you are playing for your life to stay in the comp, just a cooler of a hand,
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:03 pm
Hand 1

You might be a sizeable chip leader but you only have 24 odd bbs. This is a quarter of your stack which at best you will lose 50% of your time. The structure might be to blame here as most seem to have a very short stack.
Do you have the payout structure. I doubt the pay jump will be worth the loss. You don't have to knock everyone out to win. None of them can fold realistically so if any shoves the other shove-ee has to call.

Hand 2

You don't have the chip stacks or structure to play hands like that. I have no idea why the button would call the min raise but at this stage of that sort of structure, versus those sorts of chip stacks its shove or fold. that will depend on table dynamic

hand 3
Standard.

Hand 4

Satndard
Frodge
Trips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:59 pm
Marcus & Darren

Thanks for the comments and opinions.

Hands 1 and 2: My opponents had tightened-up considerably at this stage of the tourn and my adrenalin was pumping as I'd previously been on a heater (the last dozen hands or so). These factors influenced my play.

The 22 hand I felt was too good to fold but is obviously weak post flop. There was only 2 to act after me (due to JS being disconnected) and I think I was unlucky here to run into a hand towards the top of the Big Blind's range. Even so, I was still ahead and the BB had to catch cards.

Would I play the hand like that in the Sunday Million...... not sure. Having let the dust settle I'm not too unhappy with how I played this hand. Darren: I didn't think of the number of Big Blinds I had left at this stage of the tourn. I was concentrating on table dynamics. I think I need to look at ICM more and have that as part of the decision making process. I'm going to look at some ICM calculators and see if I can get a better grasp.

The A5 hand... I think I played it OK pre-flop due to the tightness of the opponents but I should have quit on the flop and just check-folded. Min raises pre had been getting folds at this stage.

Marcus: The 3rd hand is ok maths-wise, I think, as I already had chips in the pot and an above average hand (albeit by 1 rank!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Hand Analysis All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: