View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlueBoy
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
$5k tourney last night, just under 300 runners, 36 paid, everyone has been running the clock since about 100 down, it was soul destroying, I had 11k at 600/1200/120, which was average stack, chip leader only had 23bb. Most of the action was min-raise or shove on all 5 tables, there were 42 left when I found 99 in mid position.
The way I see it is:
Shove > Fold > Limp-fold > Min-raise-fold. Anyone do anything other than shove, reasons please.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Shove every single time
stowjon
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:36 am
shove
stowjon
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:36 am
shove
TheBlueBoy
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:41 am
Is that your way of saying twice on Sundays Jon... Wink

Ran into Tens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 am
TheBlueBoy wrote:

Ran into Tens.

ul gg but you can never do anything other than shove there
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 am
TheBlueBoy wrote:

Ran into Tens.

shove then sigh.
TheBlueBoy
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:35 pm
darrensprengers wrote:
TheBlueBoy wrote:

Ran into Tens.

shove then sigh.

Exactly what I did when he called, before seeing the cards. The overriding thought was 4 fc ukin hours of bellends timebanking every hand for this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 pm
I say, Go for the win!!!

By doing so, you put yourself into a position to make the really big money, and if you fail in that regard you still have a fair chance to cash. I have only been playing tournament poker for the last four months but I have a 45% cash rate and a 10% top three or better finish rate by waiting for great spots. Find the weak tight player at the table and check raise flop lead turn him off his moderate strength hand OOP. Call the loose aggressive player's busted draw river over bet with 2nd pair or top pair and stack the winnings. You can learn a lot by watching people play when you are not in hands. You can learn a lot by risking a small percentage of your stack early on to see what other players are holding, so that you can determine how they play certain hands. It has been said a lot, but the most successful tournament players play few pots, but play big ones when they do play.

It is called tight aggressive, and while you cannot always avoid the coolers, you can always keep from over valuing your hand. don't be afraid to get it in on the flop with a set on a draw heavy board, because you are almost never drawing dead even if they hit their straight or flush...You have to take risks in tournaments to win and cash. If you are risk adverse, then tournament poker may not be for you.

I have only been playing for four months, but have dedicated most of that time to the study and practice of poker. My best finish is a 2nd place finish in a Caesar's Las Vegas deep stack tourney, and it took a lot of patience and a fair amount of luck to get there, but as I had only been playing for two months at that point, it was awesome for me to get there.
Crushinator
High Card

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:24 pm
in middle position if you are opening the pot why not just min raise? It can get the same job done with a lot less risk. It is unclear how many BB'S you had but even if you had 10 BB's you can min raise then fold to a tight players three bet or shove to a loose players three bet.

I never recommend open shoving any hand if you have ten BB's or more unless it is a reshove situation which is a move that I absolutely adore in small stack online tourneys with about 15BB's or more. I say:

<10 BB'S open shove
> 10BB's min raise, possibly four bet jam depending on three betting players action and table image.

Pocket nines are a very vulnerable made hand so open shoving them can have a lot of potential, positive and negative but in that spot you are almost always getting called and are either crushed or flipping, unlikely to be called by a hand you have crushed. Is that where you want to put your tournament on the line so close to the $? I would definitely consider the risk versus the potential reward of open jamming there.
TheBlueBoy
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 pm
Cheers for the thoughts, I had 9 bigs btw, just one of them things, 1st time any cards have been shown for ages, but table was sooooooo tight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:28 am
Shove and use your one time after you see his cards just in case its refreshed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Hand Analysis All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: