Goto page Previous  1, 2 View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrensprengers
Misclick


Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Posts: 7551

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
cottlad wrote:
Just bought one of these on Ebay. Supposed to be whizz-bang and great on the sand. Nice and powerful and discriminates iron so no digging up junk. My wife thinks i'm a nerd Confused



looks pretty baller to me.
gonzo_the_magician
One Pair


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
darrensprengers wrote:
cottlad wrote:
Just bought one of these on Ebay. Supposed to be whizz-bang and great on the sand. Nice and powerful and discriminates iron so no digging up junk. My wife thinks i'm a nerd Confused



looks pretty baller to me.



Yeah, very very nice. I have a C-Scope CS770XD, it's alright for an entry level detector; two settings, one for beach and the other for inland. It has no LCD screen so I have to base everything off the tones (iron sounds dull and gold/tin has a high pitched squeal). I've had a fair amount of fun with it. Haven't found any spectacular treasure yet, mostly junk which I take away and dispose of like a good 'tector head should, plus I don't want to be digging up the same beer cans on subsequent visits! Very Happy



_________________
A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.
Steve50
Royal Flush


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 5127
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
The X-Terra series is a really good brand, the 705 is rated amongst the best for finds and depth, good pick Very Happy

I'm waiting on getting a CS4PI again for the beach, they have no discrimination which is really bad for iron beaches but no detector can beat it for depth. As I have no land permissions I am stuck with beach, though I did get a letter back from a farmer a few days ago that has a lot of promise!, once the sown fields are grown and harvested I should be able to get on out there.
_________________
stejens
Live poker stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/steve50thmf
DropTheHammer
Straight Flush


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 3019
Location: @Phill_555

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Has he owned the land long Steve - will you be the first one to plough it?

Hope you enjoy it rather than thinking you'll find buried treasure - takes decades to accumulate some nice coins I hear.
gonzo_the_magician
One Pair


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Steve50 I was very tempted to get a CS4PI at first but I wanted to be able to go inland as well and as a beginner I decided choose a cheaper detector. After I'd bought it I began to think maybe I should of bought a Garret Ace 250 instead as they have a lot of positive reviews but odd as it may sound I really like the analogue feel of the CS770XD. I have my Crown Estate Foreshore Permit but I'd also like to get permission from a land owner. When I have been detecting inland I find quiet little spots but unfortunately the same spots tend to be used by outdoor drinkers/druggies so I have to avoid dangerous obstacles like syringes and broken bottles as well as all the flipping Special Brew or Tennent's Super cans!
_________________
A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.
Steve50
Royal Flush


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 5127
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:57 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
DropTheHammer wrote:
Has he owned the land long Steve - will you be the first one to plough it?

Hope you enjoy it rather than thinking you'll find buried treasure - takes decades to accumulate some nice coins I hear.


For me it's all about the history and never knowing what is about to come up when you hear a good signal. I found an old codd bottle in one spot and spent the next 3 hours bottle digging just for the history of the bottles.

I am very much into history and archaeology and have always studied antiques as a potential career, go to local auctions to buy and sell antiques and collectibles and have chosen coinage as my main speciality, which Metal Detecting kind of became a hobby mainly for that. I enjoy every aspect of it, and sitting at home researching everything that I have found is the joy for me, finding treasure is just an added bonus if ever I walked over some Very Happy

There is a great forum where they set up yearly digs and stuff too, and the knowledge on their is very high so that finds can be identified rather quickly.

The land owners own 1000's of acres, and have had people on the fields before. The great thing about ploughed fields is that they always bring new stuff to the top, and metal detectors get more advanced every year that items found by field walkers on those fields over the years have been nearer the top than what today's detectors can bring up from deeper depths today.

Great hobby Very Happy
_________________
stejens
Live poker stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/steve50thmf
Steve50
Royal Flush


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 5127
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
gonzo_the_magician wrote:
Steve50 I was very tempted to get a CS4PI at first but I wanted to be able to go inland as well and as a beginner I decided choose a cheaper detector. After I'd bought it I began to think maybe I should of bought a Garret Ace 250 instead as they have a lot of positive reviews but odd as it may sound I really like the analogue feel of the CS770XD. I have my Crown Estate Foreshore Permit but I'd also like to get permission from a land owner. When I have been detecting inland I find quiet little spots but unfortunately the same spots tend to be used by outdoor drinkers/druggies so I have to avoid dangerous obstacles like syringes and broken bottles as well as all the flipping Special Brew or Tennent's Super cans!


Getting permissions is the hardest part, but once you get one permission and prove to be a good detectorist then word spreads and you get more and more (so I hear) Smile

I spent a day chasing after farmers in fields while cycling through the countryside and did not get one permission. I then got my NCMD membership for 8 (which I advise you look in to) and sent a copy off with a nice letter and a SAE to about 20 farmers, most of the replies where "No" or "Somebody already does it". I think night hawkers have somewhat ruined the reputation of honest detecting enthusiasts.

They say that face to face contact is the best method for gaining permission, but I guess it all depends on if you have the face! Razz

I have been after land permission for a couple of years and each year I try harder, this letter I had back recently is the first promising one, after that it should be all plain sailing. In between just try to get out to club digs and so on.

Also it's good to invest in some thick gloves for those spots you mention, as I too have areas where the same happens - especially under piers.
_________________
stejens
Live poker stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/steve50thmf
gonzo_the_magician
One Pair


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Steve50 wrote:


Getting permissions is the hardest part, but once you get one permission and prove to be a good detectorist then word spreads and you get more and more (so I hear) Smile

I spent a day chasing after farmers in fields while cycling through the countryside and did not get one permission. I then got my NCMD membership for 8 (which I advise you look in to) and sent a copy off with a nice letter and a SAE to about 20 farmers, most of the replies where "No" or "Somebody already does it". I think night hawkers have somewhat ruined the reputation of honest detecting enthusiasts.

They say that face to face contact is the best method for gaining permission, but I guess it all depends on if you have the face! Razz

I have been after land permission for a couple of years and each year I try harder, this letter I had back recently is the first promising one, after that it should be all plain sailing. In between just try to get out to club digs and so on.

Also it's good to invest in some thick gloves for those spots you mention, as I too have areas where the same happens - especially under piers.


Thanks, I'll look into the NCDM membership, it definitely looks useful for getting permissions or if I ever join a club or go on one of the rallies. Although I don't know if I'd want to go on a rally after watching some videos on YouTube, they looked a bit hectic with loads of people waving their detectors around and marching really fast. I like to take it slowly and do low arching sweeps to cover as much ground as I can. It's pretty relaxing, until you dig really deep holes and it just keeps buzzing. That's happens a bit on the beach, I don't know if it's minerals in sand or rocks or what?

Yeah I have a pair of gloves, thick gardening ones but I always forget to put them on cos I have a sandwich bag wrapped around control box to keep the sand out so I need to be able to twiddle the knobs. Cheers for the tips Very Happy
_________________
A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.
Steve50
Royal Flush


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 5127
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Beach signals can get confusing and sometimes you can dig a 5 foot hole a metre wide and still it keeps buzzing. In my experience it usually tends to be the mineralisation of the 'wet' sand that some detectors are just not cut out for, but tend to never have a problem on the dry.

Or it can be an aluminium blob which tend to litter the majority of beaches, sometimes they can be as small as an apple pip and give the best signals you've ever heard!.

Only way to sort that problem out is to invest in a Garrett Pro Pointer, it will become your best friend and you'll never look back Smile
_________________
stejens
Live poker stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/steve50thmf
gonzo_the_magician
One Pair


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Steve50 wrote:
Beach signals can get confusing and sometimes you can dig a 5 foot hole a metre wide and still it keeps buzzing. In my experience it usually tends to be the mineralisation of the 'wet' sand that some detectors are just not cut out for, but tend to never have a problem on the dry.

Or it can be an aluminium blob which tend to litter the majority of beaches, sometimes they can be as small as an apple pip and give the best signals you've ever heard!.

Only way to sort that problem out is to invest in a Garrett Pro Pointer, it will become your best friend and you'll never look back Smile



Yeah, I never get that problem on dry sand. I'd read up a bit so that's what led me to think it was minerals. I've noticed certain types of rocks make it go bonkers with its squealing. Another thing that I really find annoying is that sometimes when I put the search head upside down or a bit too high in the air it makes loads of noise. It's usually when I'm digging and I put it down and I'll have to lay it down flat to shut it up. Is that normal?

I'll probably get a pointer when I upgrade my detector but I'm only still learning and I don't really want to buy a new one just yet. Maybe if I find lots more pennies or I find a buried treasure treasure trunk. Very Happy
_________________
A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Non-Poker General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum