13%  [ 3 ]
Bad 
86%
 86%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 23

Joe The Elegance Beevers
Mobster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Pizzicato
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
If your gonna make it a mandatory charge, just add it onto the cost of the room ffs.
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:22 am
when I last went I specifically just checked the prices on all the harrah's properties because they had no resort fees

for the duration of our 18 night stay we didn't use a single thing that is covered by resort fees, that's an extra $180-450 we would have to pay for zero benefit if the same trip was done again

a friend of mine went to vegas last year for his and his wife's 10th anniversary, they stayed at the venetian and at the end of the trip they got hit with resort fees they weren't aware of at all when booking

needless to say this pissed them off
StGilmore
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:08 pm
It only makes sense to have resort fees separate from room rate if it is an option the customer has - as in, I want to go economy class and have no extra amenities, but others can choose first class and pay the extra.

Certainly it's wrong to advertise room rates only if the company will be charging mandatary resort fees - as one simply cannot stay at the hotel for the advertised rate.

If I were a vegas reporter/consumer protection type, I'd be going around to all the hotels that charge resort fees and testing all of them. Ping the wi-fi in all different spots in the hotel, inspect the exersise/leisure room etc. and bring out a comparative report between the hotels and the rates charged vs the quality of the amenities, add in 1 to 5 star ratings, and try to make sure it was as widely disseminated as possible.

http://midlifepoker.blogspot.com/
http://outthescammers.blogspot.com/
_doubleup
Flush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm
I think if you book as a package through a uk travel agent you don't (can't??) get charged resort fees.

lowcostusa.co.uk/ is worth a look as they include/don't charge fees.
knifeboy62
Quads

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 pm
Pizzicato wrote:
If your gonna make it a mandatory charge, just add it onto the cost of the room ffs.

this. The quote that guests "demanded it" made me lol. Yes paying for lots of extras individually is a pain but if you want to bundle the extra charges up and make the structure simpler then there is no good reason not to add to the cost of the room, other than deceptive marketing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm
resort fees are a great idea, as long as they are optional. if the fees are to include things like wi-fi and gym use, not everyone will use these amenities as part of their stay ( gym for most americans would be un-thinkable!! ).
but room rates would have to be tiered to show the difference. where hotels are claiming all or most of their customers want them and therefore the room costs X. there should surely be a basic price which excludes the fees and excludes the use of certain facilities.

in summary, i am in favour as long as there are options for ALL customers.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 pm
Just back from Honolulu where the Hilton Village had introduced compulsory $25 daily resort fees. Bearing in mind the amount of money I had spent to stay there I was wound up to say the least. Here is an extract of a complaint to Virgin:

"... at the Hilton Hawaiian Village where they charged us $25 per room each day for a daily resort charge. I felt this was a bit sneaky as we had paid upfront for our hotel and didnt like the idea of an added on compulsory charge. I asked what this for and they advised it was for:
Internet/Wifi access
Playstation 3 with unlimited games and movies This might be good for a family but we have no kids and didnt want any games or movies while on holiday
Local toll free calls (we didnt need or make any)
Hotel activities such as Ukelele lessons!
Hotel audio tour No idea why they think I wanted to pay them to tell us about the hotel that I had paid to stay in.
I dont have any problems in them offering me these services at an optional package of $25 a day which I would have declined, but to make it compulsory to pay for things that you dont want isnt great....."

So my view is I hate them, if at least I had the option before booking then I could have chosen some where else, but in my view it is a con. Neutral
S1THL0RD
Trips

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm
Looks like it applies to bookings made from 1st March, so might be worth making a booking before then as I don't think there are any cancellation charges.

Had a look at rates after the series schedule came out and thought they seemed a bit high compared to the last couple of years before addition of resort fees! Also when I log in with my total reward card I'm now only offered about $5 a night discount. In previous years I was getting some great rates and occasionally some comped rooms.

It looks like it may be cheaper for me to stay at TI/Excalibur/Circus instead this year. Any recommendations?
Dall Sun
Flush

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 pm
Aria charge a daily $25 resort fee too Sad
mikeydread
Trips

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm
Just back from Bellagio where they charge $25 a day daily rate ($28 after tax!!)

Only gets you wi-fi in your room too.

Rip off!!
Ace Reporter
One Pair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm
I know one hotel where I have stayed a few times which introduced a resort fee for so called extras which have always been complimentary in the past. So pay more for nothing new seems to be the case.
Resort fee does not include wi-fi in your room. This costs something like 12 per day extra.
I regard these resort fees as a sneaky way for the hotel to make extra profits. They lure you in with a decent room rate and then hit you with the resort fee. If you book online, you only pay the room rate in advance and the resort fee is charged when you check out at the end of your stay.
skinnydookie
Straight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm
S1THL0RD wrote:

It looks like it may be cheaper for me to stay at TI/Excalibur/Circus instead this year. Any recommendations?

[short story] Do NOT stay at Circus Circus!!!

[Long story]Octoberish 2011 I went on the cheap to Vegas. Indirect flight killed me- 17 hours or so. Got in late to Circus Circus, I wasn't on the main bit we were taken out to some dodgy shack where there were warnings about always locking your door.

I needed a shite and after "depositing" found the toilet didnt work! Neither did the safe! I phoned up and complained and asked to be moved they said the place was full. They would send someone to sort the toilet. About an hour passed and no-one had turned up. I phoned up again and said I didnt come to Vegas to hang about in my room! They said it would be sorted by the time I came back. Went out for a few drinks then came back to find my turd in the still not working toilet, safe not working etc. Only THEN when I screamed down the phone did I get moved. Even then the new room was pretty awful. Especially as a mate I met over there was staying at the Aria - his room was amazing.

Circus Circus is at the end of the strip and you will end up paying loads for cabs. Dont know where the others you mentioned are but I recommend getting a map and going very central on the strip - anywhere near the Bellagio and Aria, that kind of area.
MFCMark00
Straight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 pm
As above, Circus Circus is terrible.

Excalibur is cheap, but clean and the carnival games can be fun for a gamble.

Location is excellent too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: