View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBlue
One Pair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:14 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I've just been reading Jason Tompkins blog and he talks a little about playing more tables, being an advocate himslef for playing less.

As I am taking on a lot of work with my game at the moment, including mental game improvements and strategy coaching for MTTs, I am thinking about the game more as I play. I currently play up to 4 tables, but recognise that I may need to drop down to 1 or 2.

I know that some still would not dream of trying to multi-table at all, whilst others play 20+ for volume and variance purposes. What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages? When do you know you are playing well enough to be able to add more effectively and when is it having a detrimental effect on your play and results?
*Yes*
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Personally if you have the roll I think you should always multi table.

If you enter 20 tournys your not expecting to get deep in all of them and as they drop of you get closer to the 2-3 format. Your just giving yourself more of a chance than someone that just plays one a night.
Pilf
Full House

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 pm
I think it's helpful to drop down (to less tables than usual) every so often so you can get a good feel of what's going on and it might give some ideas on what can improve your game that is very very easy to miss when playing to your limits.

I have already made some minor adjustments since FT came back and I started playing again that I'll be able to incorporate into my multitabling game when I am back playing proper sessions.

The end result though is that if you play seriously/professionally then you need to learn to maximise your time.
An ROI of 100% single tabling is all good but why not go for 10 tables with an ROI of 12%?, so yes, your games suffered, but you're making more money and then the question is why are you playing? If you still want to improve I'd consider how any changes you make whilst learning can be incorporated into mass tabling.

And like Yes says, at the business end it should be that you don't have all these tables open anymore. And if there is still a few too many open it's easy to prioritise any 'important' tables on another screen or something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:05 am
Pilf wrote:
I think it's helpful to drop down (to less tables than usual) every so often so you can get a good feel of what's going on and it might give some ideas on what can improve your game that is very very easy to miss when playing to your limits.

I have already made some minor adjustments since FT came back and I started playing again that I'll be able to incorporate into my multitabling game when I am back playing proper sessions.

The end result though is that if you play seriously/professionally then you need to learn to maximise your time.
An ROI of 100% single tabling is all good but why not go for 10 tables with an ROI of 12%?, so yes, your games suffered, but you're making more money and then the question is why are you playing? If you still want to improve I'd consider how any changes you make whilst learning can be incorporated into mass tabling.

And like Yes says, at the business end it should be that you don't have all these tables open anymore. And if there is still a few too many open it's easy to prioritise any 'important' tables on another screen or something.

I agree with this but I will add something. Playing multi-tables may well earn you more but an interesting thing also happens when your roi drops and that is you become much more likely to hit downswings. It is true you play more but the downswings will still hurt.
I havent got the data for 100% roi ==> 12% but let's say a player had a 60% roi for 1000 seater MTTs but could play 7x tables with only a 10% roi. After playing 10,000 at 10% this player should have a 50% chance of seeing a 500BI downswing or worse. In the same time the 60% roi player plays about 1500 and at the end of this should have seen on average only a 90BI or worse downswing during this set.
Overall the multi-tabler will earn more but have to learn to accept big swings.
This example was a bit extreme going from 60 ==> 10 but it is something to think about and if you suffer badly from tilt during swings remember that extra roi does really help to protect you from them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: