View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foot...ce-Day-Poppy.html

McClean was at the centre of a controversy surrounding his refusal to wear a Remembrance Day Poppy on his shirt during Sunderland 2-1 defeat at Everton last weekend.

Although Sunderland have insisted they were happy to let the 23-year-old from Derry make a personal choice, although many have criticised him for turning a charity appeal into a political statement, particularly when other Irish players, from both sides of the border, were happy to wear one.

McClean was forced to come off the social networking site earlier this year because of sectarian abuse following the announcement he had decided to play for the Republic rather than Northern Ireland and he has once again been targeted.
Cody Lachey, a 29-year-old Doorman from Manchester who claims to have served in the army posted bullets on the players timeline and although he has denied he intends to carry out any sort of attack he has refused to tone down his criticism.
Lachey even sent one of his threats directly to Sinn Fein newspaper An Phoblacht, saying he deserves to be shot dead and + body dragged past the cenotaph.

I wanted him dead, said Lachey, as reported by the Derry Journal. But theres no threat from me to James McClean now, although I cant be held responsible for what other people may do.

I think hes [McClean] a f***ing disgrace. I know Ill end up in trouble and maybe in prison over this but Im willing to go to court, thats how strongly I feel.
Lacheys account has since been suspended, but Sunderland have confirmed police are looking into the matter.

Sinn Fein MLA for Foyle, Raymond McCartney, is adamant Lachey should be punished.
If any alleged threat has been made it should be withdrawn and thoroughly investigated by police, he said.

The right of people not to feel intimidated into wearing a poppy must be recognised. That includes professional footballers. James McLeans personal choice in this regard should be respected.
stowjon
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:34 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I have no problem with him not wanting to wear one, Personal choice ftw.
Seb
Full House

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 pm
I'd like it if rather than making a political statement more people stood up and said "Who gives a shit?"
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:35 pm
how does a very average player in a very average premiership team(sorry dave), and an abysmal national team, makes headlines. after a brain storm with his agent i guess they come up with this.
i will just add my grandad was irish, from mayo, and he fought in the war. i am not sure what he thinks would of happened to ireland if the germans had been successful. the IRA did have links with hitler but i think it would of been one sided to say the least.
make a political statement; dont work in England. He could refuse as a conscientious objector. all of which get you a lot more respect than what he did.
zebediah
Freed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm
He's really not the brightest, even for a professional footballer!
Basically the media could have ignored it and no-one would have noticed (or cared if they did).

But the tabloids highlighting it brings it to the attention of the morons "looking for an excuse" brigade.

Overall I'm with Seb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:59 pm
darrensprengers wrote:
how does a very average player in a very average premiership team(sorry dave)

I find it completely unacceptable that you overstate the competence of my team! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:09 pm
darrensprengers wrote:
how does a very average player in a very average premiership team(sorry dave), and an abysmal national team, makes headlines. after a brain storm with his agent i guess they come up with this.
i will just add my grandad was irish, from mayo, and he fought in the war. i am not sure what he thinks would of happened to ireland if the germans had been successful. the IRA did have links with hitler but i think it would of been one sided to say the least.
make a political statement; dont work in England. He could refuse as a conscientious objector. all of which get you a lot more respect than what he did.

Poppy day has been politicised ever since it was extended to ALL wars. We all agreed that Hitler was out of order but some of the later wars have been a bit iffy imo.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm
Sunderland would have been better to rest him for the game.
the shiver
LMS Champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 am
evelyn wrote:
We all agreed that Hitler was out of order

bit of an understatement
It was one of the privileges of my poker life to watch Barny win his bracelet, putting on a master class in front of an audience who would have run onto the stage and carried him over the ****ing line if thats what it was going to take. There is bracelets and there is bracelets. This was one of the very special ones...Padraig Parkinson
paddymick
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 am
evelyn wrote:
some of the later wars have been a bit iffy imo.

another understatement

bit unusual to have a thread so understated

I'd go with the personal choice, even if it was purely a chariteh and not political in any way
dowgiallo
High Card

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 am
paddymick wrote:
evelyn wrote:
some of the later wars have been a bit iffy imo.

another understatement

bit unusual to have a thread so understated

I'd go with the personal choice, even if it was purely a chariteh and not political in any way

Now football is really more a taboo. Motionless on the accident.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Find Cheap Sunderland A.F.C shirt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: