Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
BennettOnika
One Pair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
sheriffatman wrote:
BennettOnika wrote:
sheriffatman wrote:
ok, so I posted a long piece the other day here, but somehow it disappeared - so just a quick update this time -

sheriffatman - 'Off the Leash' / 'One Man and his Blog' Smile

- firstly, I have never-ever counted cards, rarely played blackjack, and have a reputation for being pretty-forgetful, amongst my friends
(the ideal 'guinea pig' for bennett's system?)

- I did the 1st test, and was totally shocked to get the last card almost-correct after a few goes (could barely get the colour at first!)
(my initial thought was 7d, but I doubted myself, and changed to Ad - of course, it was the 7d!) [note to self: trust ya instincts, kid!]
- next go, I got it spot on! (5c)
(not at all sure how I did it though, I just seemed to 'zone in', if that makes sense; and when I tried to 'systematically' group the cards, as I dealt them, it didn't work!?)

- so, I can obviously do it, but am unsure of the process as yet (guess that's where bennett comes in, when we start)

- I suppose this proves what bennett said about the untapped potential of the memory!
(I was more sceptical of my ability to be trained,btw, bennett, rather than doubting your credentials/system)

Anyway, turned into another long post, so will wrap-up now ('thank-god', I hear ppl cry!Very Happy)

On board, and intrigued!

Ok very good do you have an approximate time it took you to do it?
Also, I want you to not look at the cards for 24 hours. Tomorrow I will ask you if you can recite them in order. Sound good?

You are right now using rote memory, tedious and takes a tremendous amount of effort. I am in the process of putting your lesson plans together. Stay tuned for an email.

BO

- ok, apologies, but unfortunately, I have just now seen your reply, as I wasn't online at all last night.
(it took me no more than 20 mins to do the 1st test, bennett, and then I left it and tried again next day) (correct again)
- can we do the next one tomorrow, after I have tried it tonight?
- sorry if it seems I am messing you about. (damn time zones/different lifestyles)
(I assure you I am not, at least not intentionally anyway)
- was gonna order the book from amazon today, but now see it's not out here yet Crying or Very sad

- I don't want to contradict teach, but are you certain that was rote memory I was using?
(see bold section) - I didn't consciously register all the cards, and this somewhat confused me tbh (or have I just done it wrong?)
(hope I'm not doing your head in with all the questions)
- cheers bennett, hopefully speak to you soon.

[JOKE CLAUSE] - anyone who is easily offended or narrow-minded, please look away,there is nothing to see here Mr. Green

- Dook, I've never had followers before - you can be my first disciple, if you like?
("grumble, you are my rock")
Very Happy

Hey Great to hear from you,

I am pretty sure you are using rote memory, as if you were using memory techniques it wouldn't take 20 minutes. So am I correct in understanding that you did not look at the order and just recited them 24 hours later? Please confirm this. This was another angle on the test. It is wierd that you would not conciously register the cards. Also, making the last mistake will not happen when we train.

If you did the test again and looked at the cards, I was unclear in the instructions. I was hoping you would just try to remember the order without looking 24 hours later. Not a big deal though.

Still in the process of putting together the final document. I will send it out over the weekend and in there will be some preliminary work to get done for our first session in about 10 days.

For the other trainees:

I have only recieved one baseline test so far. Please email me your test results asap.

Thanks again.

PS You don't ever have to worry about insulting me, i have a very tough skin, and you haven't so far so Cheers. I am really looking forward to the sessions and meeting all of you.

BO
whammer
Full House

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
book ordering

amazon - not until june as stated

play.com stating 3-5 days

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:09 am
whammer wrote:
book ordering

I am excited to start training sunday. I will send out the lesson plan sometime saturday. If you dont have the book yet dont worry. We will get you all the information you need.

Bo
sheriffatman
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:58 pm
whammer wrote:
book ordering

it's not released here until 1st may, but you can order the PDF version from "ECW press" (Canadian publishers)
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 pm
3%
sheriffatman
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm
Nem wrote:
3%

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
mjb
High Card

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:34 pm
The book is out. I purchased it at Barnes and Noble on Long Island about a week ago. Been doing the exercises. Pretty amazing. Can remember a deck and recite it. Takes about 10-15 minutes. I find that you have to sort of forget the card and just do the item, like couch and the card, e.g., daytona. Then, if pinched, you can easily recall the card. You do need to do it at least a day apart, as you remember the prior attempt. Not sure where this is going to end up. I'm currently in chapter SH, CH or J, on page MV or MF. The hands above DRESS or so are giving me a little trouble. Can't quite see where this is going to help, but if I can calculate VPIP accurately, it certainly give an edge in tough spots. Remembering hole cards without having to view them post flop should also help. At live tables, many view their hands(including me) post flop, especially if a monotone flop comes or even two tone. This is clear indication that they have at best one of the suited cards. If I can be able to look at the table, and who's doing that, rather than view my own hand, as I'll remember it better, I can see this being of great help. The memorization is certainly easier than I anticipated.....but I'll update after digesting this and the hole card chapter.
BennettOnika
One Pair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 pm
mjb wrote:
The book is out. I purchased it at Barnes and Noble on Long Island about a week ago. Been doing the exercises. Pretty amazing. Can remember a deck and recite it. Takes about 10-15 minutes. I find that you have to sort of forget the card and just do the item, like couch and the card, e.g., daytona. Then, if pinched, you can easily recall the card. You do need to do it at least a day apart, as you remember the prior attempt. Not sure where this is going to end up. I'm currently in chapter SH, CH or J, on page MV or MF. The hands above DRESS or so are giving me a little trouble. Can't quite see where this is going to help, but if I can calculate VPIP accurately, it certainly give an edge in tough spots. Remembering hole cards without having to view them post flop should also help. At live tables, many view their hands(including me) post flop, especially if a monotone flop comes or even two tone. This is clear indication that they have at best one of the suited cards. If I can be able to look at the table, and who's doing that, rather than view my own hand, as I'll remember it better, I can see this being of great help. The memorization is certainly easier than I anticipated.....but I'll update after digesting this and the hole card chapter.

Hey, Bennett here,

I am glad you like it. The hand rank memorization does 2 things, builds your brain connections and gives you an easy image to use in later exercises like keeping a database. IE. i used it yesterday in a tournament. I still remember seat 6 position one which is the small blind he limped with tub, rat, and nose. a higher range then most would limp with. This helps you get a little closer to how they play. You will notice in the database chapter the new files for seat 6 is a shark. position one is the snout. Hence the sharks snout was floating in the tub and ate the rats nose. Simple images for all hole cards that represent their rank in strength.

The hole cards are of course KQ, A2s, and A9s. so range is up to 41, well, 25% of the top 169 cards is 42 hands - AA-66, Any suited Ace, from suited king on any 9 suited and up, and any unsuited ten and up. In a tourney if you get good at this the chips you will be going after will be lit up like a billboard.

Also, whatever you find useful use and memorize. Whatever you don't throw it away and call me nuts. I am ok with it. Bottom line is if it helps you remember even 25% more information, i have done my job.

Feel free to chat on twitter @bennettonika
sheriffatman
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 pm
- first lesson done and went quite well despite some technical hiccoughs
- learnt the power of imagery in memory and the basics of card tracking
- good relaxed/informal lesson and concepts explained clearly by Bennett
- lots to do for me, before next week
(should keep me out of mischief Rolling Eyes )

ps - to whammer - tried to call ya on oovoo, but no reply - and only saw your chat later - (hope you get conn'n fixed up)
Alex B
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 pm
I wonder over what sample sizes inferring VPIP from showdowns and lines is more accurate than knowing an actual sample frequency, and whether that sample size is greater than one live session (or perhaps '1 gear' within one session).

I.e. over 10 hands, 9 folds and getting to showdown once with J7o, knowing sample VPIP is 10% is less useful than the seen hand for estimating true VPIP. Over 10,000 internet hands real frequency might be better. There must be a tipping point somewhere in the middle.
mjb
High Card

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:29 pm
Also finished my first session with Bennett, using ooVoo. Pretty cool. Couple glitches, but overall, very good connectivity. As I have the book, I could follow, but was corrected on a couple of things, which was helpful, primarily deck memory approach. While we didn't cover it entirely, how to do VPIP was mentioned, and it should be pretty easy to implement. Lots ahead, e.g. memorizing each of 169 hands in order, with nicknames, e.g., Daisy Duck(Q,2) and Transvestite(A,4), which should take a bit, but so far, not as hard as I thought. I think the biggest thing for me will be the ability to focus when not playing hand, as it becomes necessary, which has to be very useful, at least for me.
sheriffatman
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:50 pm
- update on book availability - just found it at 'High Stakes Bookshop' here in UK, and says it is in stock with a 1 day despatch - so job's a good 'un!
(I'm not keen on reading on computer screens)
BennettOnika
One Pair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 am
Alex B wrote:
I wonder over what sample sizes inferring VPIP from showdowns and lines is more accurate than knowing an actual sample frequency, and whether that sample size is greater than one live session (or perhaps '1 gear' within one session).

I.e. over 10 hands, 9 folds and getting to showdown once with J7o, knowing sample VPIP is 10% is less useful than the seen hand for estimating true VPIP. Over 10,000 internet hands real frequency might be better. There must be a tipping point somewhere in the middle.

No question 10000 hands gives you a better confidence interval than 100 or 40 hands. But I have found that there are pros and cons to each. In my book I advocate recounting Vpip every break in a major tournament. Why? Players shift gears. The last tournament I was in the same player played the first 3 levels VASTLY different then the very next 3 levels. Also by tracking VPIP in your head you actually see more because by default you are paying 10 times more attention to your opponent. When you have 10000 data points you definitely have the more exact number but you lose whether the player has become passive or aggressive or loose or tight. I have found 30 to 40 hands gives you an excellent set of data to work with. Z tests require a 30 point sample to be significant for your normal distribution. Either way you are way ahead of anyone thinking " he hasn't played a hand in a while". While it's possible the player could be card dead or hitting aces every hand, you can usually tell from the players demeanor.

In a way, you kinda have to experience it.
hope this helps.

Bennett Onika
whammer
Full House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm
sheriffatman wrote:

ps - to whammer - tried to call ya on oovoo, but no reply - and only saw your chat later - (hope you get conn'n fixed up)

cheers mate - hoping to get something sorted in the week so i'm on a level playing field by sunday

all the best

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:41 pm
whammer wrote:
sheriffatman wrote:

cheers mate - hoping to get something sorted in the week so i'm on a level playing field by sunday

all the best

np at all - I had connection probs myself, so missed a fair bit, as the sound kept dropping out, but we got there in the end after a quick recap from Bennett!
- it's interesting stuff and not at all like hard work (which is always nice Very Happy )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: