Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Reverend
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Missing Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Deleted voicemails gave family false hope
Hacking interfered with police hunt

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul...-world?CMP=twt_gu

Although I'm not sure it's as bad as the Hillsborough reporting:

http://www.anfieldroad.com/dont-buy-the-sun/

Can anyone find a picture of the front page they ran when Jean Charles de Mendez was murdered by police? 1 down, 3 to go or similar. News International seem to have worked very hard to remove it from the web.

http://the-sun-lies.blogspot.com/
tjm8
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I just can't understand why anyone would ever buy that despicable piece of sh*t rag. I bet people have to double check the date on the front to see if it is correct.

So many lies / so much crap over so many years and it is still the best selling paper in the country - which IMO goes to show why we are surrounded by so many numb nuts.

BTW. don't forget the disguisting 'Bruno is Bonkers' front page from a few years ago.

If I had my way, people like Kelvin McKenzie, Rebecca Wade and other scourges of the media would be locked up in prison. It is a subject I feel very strongly against, they hide behind the 'freedom of speech' banner, but create pain in so many peoples lifes with their lies.
gandalf55
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:14 pm
tjm8 wrote:
I just can't understand why anyone would ever buy that despicable piece of sh*t rag. I bet people have to double check the date on the front to see if it is correct.

So many lies / so much crap over so many years and it is still the best selling paper in the country - which IMO goes to show why we are surrounded by so many numb nuts.

BTW. don't forget the disguisting 'Bruno is Bonkers' front page from a few years ago.

If I had my way, people like Kelvin McKenzie, Rebecca Wade and other scourges of the media would be locked up in prison. It is a subject I feel very strongly against, they hide behind the 'freedom of speech' banner, but create pain in so many peoples lifes with their lies.

+1. Surely it doesn't still sell because of the tits on page 3. Just scum.

Gurth gothrim Tel'Quessir
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Confused.com the header refers to the Sun by article is about NOTW? Confused
The Reverend
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:59 pm
NOTW is the Sunday edition of The Sun
the_benj
Straight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:38 pm
Disgusting innit. Apparently there may be worse things to come.

Its one thing to hack Sienna Miller's phone to find out who she's been... y' know (still a gross invasion of privacy), but this is appalling. Remember how the Scum & NoW called for heads to roll over the 'Manuelgate' scandal? Can we see them asking for the same here?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:04 pm
The Reverend wrote:
Can anyone find a picture of the front page they ran when Jean Charles de Mendez was murdered by police? 1 down, 3 to go or similar. News International seem to have worked very hard to remove it from the web.

I eventually found it through Yahoo. Not only have News International been incredibly effective in hiding this, Google appear to be complicit. I cannot believe an image like this is so hard to find, given the profile of the case. I have just lost a lot of faith in Google and their owners' morals.

Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 pm
The Reverend wrote:

Maybe, but didn't get why not make it by NOTW standards. Must admit I stopped buying NOTW some 10 years plus ago, struggle to find a good Sunday tabloid these days. Sad
tjm8
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ne...hones-hacked.html

Bereaved relatives of the July 7 bombings had their phones hacked by journalists at the News of the World, police believe.

the guilty people have to be prosecuted !!
dezza666
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 am
BennyP
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:39 am
The Reverend wrote:

This is actually incorrect. Whilst the sales teams work across both Titles (and now also The Times after a shed load of redundancies), the Editorial teams have always been kept very seperate and see each other as their biggest rivals, it's the same as saying that the Metro and the Evening Standard are the same paper as they were both owned by the same company.

I'm not trying to distance the Sun from this whatsoever as I think that NI as a corporation have to take the heat on this instead of trying to pin it on individuals. Senior Managers must have known this was going on as who was commissioning it and who was signing off the cheques for the police bribes??

Absolutely disgusting if you ask me!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:56 pm
BennyP wrote:
This is actually incorrect. Whilst the sales teams work across both Titles (and now also The Times after a shed load of redundancies), the Editorial teams have always been kept very seperate and see each other as their biggest rivals, it's the same as saying that the Metro and the Evening Standard are the same paper as they were both owned by the same company.

I respectfully disagree. There are different editors for The Sunday Indepedent (pretty much all papers I think), it's still The Indy. The Sunday Sun just sounds stupid though. It's still The Sun, the Sunday Telegraph is still the Telegraph etc. Obviously anything owned by News International should be boycotted regardless, but the way The Sun (or NOTW if you prefer) operates is particularly disgusting. They both trade on misery (in many cases creating it themselves, in order to report on it). Not as bad as Fox News mind you for overall damage though I guess. If the editors consider themselves rivals, I can quite believe that, I'm sure they did/do at the Indy, they used to have different editors every day, might still do, not sure. They'll want to outsell each other, even if they aren't directly competing.

BTW I'm pretty sure the Metro and The Evening Standard are owned by different companies now. The owner of the Indy bought the ES from the Mail Group some time ago IIRC.
BennyP
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:08 pm
The Metro and the ES are owned by seperate companies now. ES was bought out by a Russian billionaire (Alexander Lebedev) a few years back, but I believe that Associated Press (a division of Daily Mail and General Trust) still hold about a 5% share.... maybe a bit more.

Anyway, that's by the by. Even though I believe them to be very seperate products (Sun and NotW), I have no doubt that they both used similar tactics and I wouldn't actually be surprised if The Sun was involved. No doubt that even though the senior management at NI had no idea (b*ll*cks) that this was going on, they had a plan of if they did get caught out then NotW would take the wrap for it. Obviously this is speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they protected their cash cow (The Sun) from this.

What has happened is disgraceful and the fact that Murdoch has put Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) in charge of the investigation when she was the Editor of NotW during the Milly Dowler hacking is just making the whole organisation looking even more corrupt and lacking in morals/humanity than they were before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 pm
NoW to cease operating, Sunday Sun must be in the works http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733
madride
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:55 pm
Edited due to Checkov's faster fingers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: