Goto page Previous  1, 2 View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleepingtom
Straight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
jbworldwide wrote:
Come and bank with LloydsTSB Smile

we will look after you Wink

In all seriousness, you have probably come under some sort of scrutiny for potential money laundering behaviour. I work in risk for a bank and there are controls and systems that look for that sort of thing.

Your account probably got flagged, someone looked at it and procedure was to close the account down. I doubt anyone really thought about it, they just followed a process. I can't speak for HSBC on how they do things and I cannot really speak for my bank either, I am not privy to the how they run the checks or what the thresholds are. HSBC and other banks take Money Laundering very seriously and they have a zero tolerance to it (quite rightly) but sometimes innocent people get caught up by it. (Moving lots of money, frequently is a flag)

You are probably best to move, because your account might probably get flagged again and this will happen. When you do move it, make sure you talk to the branch advisor about what you do (you may not get a student account) and they should be able to put notes on your account so when someone looks at it they can see a reason.

I wouldn't worry about a 'black mark' unless you are under criminal investigation but you would probably know about it by now if they were doing one.

As for the branch manager, they probably know sweet f.a. about what checks are going on in Head Office. They don't get told how, they just know it happens, it also doesn't flag on their core banking systems either because they don't have the authority to make the changes.

Bank manager these days means manager of the banking staff and sales, not of your account, most of that happens in the back office, probably in India. (not the case for Lloyds)

Thank you very much for this. Very helpful information!
sleepingtom
Straight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
_doubleup wrote:
Write to them asking precisely why they are closing the account, explaining that you do not believe that any of the stated activities in the relevant clause apply to your account.

State that you are extremely annoyed with the suggestion that you have conducted the account improperly and wish the matter to be dealt with as a complaint. If you do not receive a satisfactory response, go to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

This is what me and my mum were thinking along the lines of. Making some sort of complaint and getting some proper answers about what's going on. I want to try and get it in writing that I actually did nothing wrong and that HSBC promise to not put anything bad on my record or against my name. Thanks for the reply.
HopeItsChips
Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 pm
sleepingtom wrote:

I felt it was extremely rude to send a 7 year old customer out of the blue a shitty little letter saying they are closing my account

Maybe this is why they didn't want the account used for gambling purposes.

sleepingtom wrote:

Any questions, advice, opinions or new bank recommendations are very much appreciated!

If you really want to kick up a stink then contact the financial ombudsman. However I would be more inclined to just say sod them and move on to another bank. If they are prepared to screw you over on this do you really want them looking after your money for the rest of your life?
In the past I've used Barclays to move around large sums that are clearly poker related and they have never asked any questions, and Halifax were happy to give me a mortgage knowing that I sit on my arse playing poker all day.
The Reverend
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm
I can also vouch for Barclays not having any issues with this sort of thing, and I wouldn't bother arguing HSBC either, you can't possibly want to continue using them even if they changed their mind.
Paddy1969
Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 pm
Grumbledook wrote:
gonna be 46 in october

my parents opened the account when I was 16, but yes, I know I look good for my age. it's all that going out with Sprengers

fyp Wink
jbworldwide
Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 pm
Paddy1969 wrote:
Grumbledook wrote:
gonna be 146 in october

my parents opened the account when I was 16, but yes, I know I look good for my age. it's all that going out with Sprengers and being an elf

fyp Wink

fyp
I went out in about 40th something and played with JB for quite a part of the day. All I can say is that the syndicate money appeared in very good hands and JB was obviously unlucky when he shouldn't have been.
axxeman
Trips

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 pm
Ah, banks... all c*nts. You are not alone...

Several years ago I had a pretty nice win on Quinlan Terry in the Cambridgeshire Handicap. The bet realised 19800 and my local Ladbrokes paid me by cheque which I took into my Lloyds/TSB branch on the Monday. (Actually was just TSB back then, if memory serves). Anyway, the counter clerk scurries off with my 'kite' and, just when I think she has done a runner, comes back all flushed and stammers that the Manager would like a 'chat'. At that point a door opens and I am invited into the hallowed office.

There upon the desk is my cheque and deposit slip. The guy cuts straight to the chase saying,' We don't like this type of business etc, and if you should ever attempt to deposit another cheque drawn on a similar establishment, we will close your account'.

A week later I got another 4 grand odd from same bookies and decided to call his bluff. I took it in and sure enough, he closed me down there and then.

As I said. C*nts.
Jack Starr
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 am
Fancy anything this week?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 am
Jack Starr wrote:

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:35 am
Jack Starr wrote:

Considering that was 1988, no. And I abandoned racing altogether when Betfair was created...
Oleg Antipin
High Card

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 am
It seems to me that it is convenient to use offshore banks. The main thing is to find the right one.
A couple of years ago I used the services of a Cypriot bank (I will not disclose the name), where almost half a year could not withdraw money.Evil or Very Mad
Then I got my money and changed the bank.
Now all the funds in Delta West Credit Bank. Convenient at reasonable prices. For the transfer - for 0.5% of the amount. They do not care where my company is in and what kind of activity it has.
A couple of transfers came a couple of days later than necessary. but after problems with the Cypriot bank - this is not a problem at all. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: