Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleepingtom
Straight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
OK Here we go.

I have been a customer of HSBC for approx 7 years. I have never been overdrawn. I have never borrowed money from them. I have never done ANYTHING wrong or even anything close to wrong to my knowledge.

I received a letter from them on the 16th of June to my 2nd address. (funny how when I ask them to send my new card here it goes to the wrong address, twice.)

This is word for word the letter:

Dear Mr _________

We have reviewed your account and we are sorry to tell you that we no longer wish to provide you with banking facilities and have now chosen to end the relationship between yourself and HSBC.

In accordance with clause 33.9 on page 20 of the General Terms and Conditions (copy enclosed) we are formally giving you two months' notice (which we believe is a reasonable period of time) of the banks intention to close your account on 11 August 2011. You should now make alternative banking arrangements at another financial institution. We are not prepared to open an account for you at another branch of HSBC Bank plc.

Please could you make sure that you return all your HSBC Bank cards to us by the above date.

If you have not closed to account by 11 August 2011 then we will close it and issue you a cheque for the amount of cleared funds (provided that you have returned all HSBC Bank cards to us and no further payments are outstanding). If the account is overdrawn when we close it you will no longer be able to use the account but you will still owe us the outstanding balance and must repay it immediately.

If you have any questions or would like any further information please contact Claire moronhead on the telephone number shown below.

Yours sincerely,

HSBC idiots.

Funny that they can't even get the page number correct to show what I did wrong. Page 20 discusses joint bank accounts page 27 is where "clause 33.9" is located.

This states word for word:

33.8 We can end this framework contract with you and close the account immediately in the following situations:
33.8.1 if you have significantly broken any of the terms; or
33.8.2 there has been or we suspect there has been fraud involving any of your accounts with us or any transactions on any of your accounts; or
33.8.3if there has been or we suspect there has been suspicious activity on your account; or
33.8.4 if we have reasonable grounds for believing you have committed or are about to commit a crime in connection with your account; or
33.8.5 if you have not satisfied any anti-money laundering requirements; or
33.8.6 if we have demanded that you repay an overdrawn balance on your account to us and you fail to do so.

So after I received this letter I was like WTF went straight down to the bank and spoke to the 'manager'.

I asked her to tell me EXACTLY what it was I had done wrong. She pretty much had no answer and could not tell me or show me anywhere on the terms and conditions what I had done to cause this.

She knows I have quite a bit of money in my account because of playing poker. In previous meetings with her and the bank, not ONCE has this come up as a problem. She even congratulated me on doing well last time I spoke to her. My current bank account is a STUDENT bank account. I also have a separate flexible SAVINGS account where most of my money is kept. The student account is supposed to be used to things such as direct debits, student loans, bills, food, uni stuff. I use my student account for all of these things.

I asked her if I was allowed to stop my student account and open a business account with them. She said yes I could do this. OK, so then why the **** send me a letter saying I'm getting my account closed FOREVER with NO WARNING AT ALL of any wrong doing. Now, I have been doing what I am still doing with my student account for the last couple of years. Big amounts of money travel through my accounts frequently and the only thing that has ever happened because of this is security phone calls making sure I am doing the transactions.

I felt it was extremely rude to send a 7 year old customer out of the blue a shitty little letter saying they are closing my account without any warning or real reasoning. I have done NOTHING wrong. If someone with a student account wins on the horses and ships some big money through his account will it get shut down? Will someone who also has a job and makes decent money whilst being a student get their account shut down?

She basically said to me you gamble online, you win, we don't like it so your getting shut down. I have never been involved in anything bad at all and she confirmed she had gone through every one of my transactions to look for bad things but found none.

My Mum came down and asked her if this would affect my future and would other banks turn me away because of this. She could hardly answer this question again and didn't even know if I would get black marked or whatever it is. REALLY? black marked for doing **** all wrong. Wow.

She told me she is ringing her higher up guy on Thursday to ask what is going on and if the decision can be changed however it was more than obvious when me and my mum were asking her all these questions she wanted to shoot us and throw us out of the door. One of the most incompetent people I have ever seen, and a manager of a bank too?

So can anyone tell me what I should do in this situation? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happen before? I feel like I have been extremely wrong done by and I feel I need to do something about this.

Any questions, advice, opinions or new bank recommendations are very much appreciated!
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
lol banks, hate them

hope nothing bad comes of this even if you can't keep the account

gl
sleepingtom
Straight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:53 pm
Grumbledook wrote:
lol banks, hate them

hope nothing bad comes of this even if you can't keep the account

gl

thanks. which bank are you with? any problemos?
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:59 pm
had an midland/HSBC account for 30 years

also got a nationwide one for when I was living overseas due to no overseas ATM fees (though that just applies to the EU now iirc rather than worldwide)

I also opened an account with halifax to keep all my poker money separate, not had any problems with it but then I've not transfered any money too or from it for years as I play a lot less than I did back when I opened it

most my transfers are to and from neteller though, I used to withdraw through partypoker to the account on occasion though as the $ conversion was best that way

for a few months I also had a $ citibank account, though closed that when I moved back to the UK, trying to get a $ account was a right pita and most banks even though they offered them the staff knew nothing about them and couldn't answer my questions

banks are so badly run and the staff don't generally appear to be very well trained without anything out of the ordinary
jbworldwide
Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:01 pm
Come and bank with LloydsTSB Smile

we will look after you Wink

In all seriousness, you have probably come under some sort of scrutiny for potential money laundering behaviour. I work in risk for a bank and there are controls and systems that look for that sort of thing.

Your account probably got flagged, someone looked at it and procedure was to close the account down. I doubt anyone really thought about it, they just followed a process. I can't speak for HSBC on how they do things and I cannot really speak for my bank either, I am not privy to the how they run the checks or what the thresholds are. HSBC and other banks take Money Laundering very seriously and they have a zero tolerance to it (quite rightly) but sometimes innocent people get caught up by it. (Moving lots of money, frequently is a flag)

You are probably best to move, because your account might probably get flagged again and this will happen. When you do move it, make sure you talk to the branch advisor about what you do (you may not get a student account) and they should be able to put notes on your account so when someone looks at it they can see a reason.

I wouldn't worry about a 'black mark' unless you are under criminal investigation but you would probably know about it by now if they were doing one.

As for the branch manager, they probably know sweet f.a. about what checks are going on in Head Office. They don't get told how, they just know it happens, it also doesn't flag on their core banking systems either because they don't have the authority to make the changes.

Bank manager these days means manager of the banking staff and sales, not of your account, most of that happens in the back office, probably in India. (not the case for Lloyds)
I went out in about 40th something and played with JB for quite a part of the day. All I can say is that the syndicate money appeared in very good hands and JB was obviously unlucky when he shouldn't have been.

Last edited by jbworldwide on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DropTheHammer
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:13 pm
Well, since you're always in credit I am shocked that they have decided to close it. Particularly with the new capital/liquidity requirements that banks have you'd think they'd love an account that's always in decent credit, making money off of investing your dosh. But aparently not Question

Unfortunately, banks can choose to close your account at any time, and for any reason. While this is obviously an inconvenience to you, it could be an opportunity to go with Santander and score a 100 golden hello. I guess count yourself lucky that you weren't 2k into the overdraft.

(PS-you didn't do what I did as a student and open multiple accounts to get the interest-free s did you?)
mddgfc
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm
ive tried to move banks before and had the "money laundering" line given as a reason not to open the account even though i was willing to deposit a serious amount and didnt intend to use it unless something drastic happened, still wouldnt let me.

ive been with the same bank for about 10+ years and whilst i dont particularly like them its a real pain to try and move to another one and provide statements that can be a gazillion pages long etc
gandalf55
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 pm
I've got an account with Santander (was Abbey when I opened it) which I've had for donkeys years. Also now have an account with Cahoot which I've had for about 5 years. The Cahoot I use for salry, bills, basically just about anything. The Santander I use for poker now and little else. I had a phone call once when I made a deposit at Party just to make sure it wasn't some degen who had nicked my card, but that is all. Don't have overdraft with either bank.

Cue letter tomorrow saying my Santander account is to be closed Shocked Wink

Oh, and I know Cahoot is owned by Santander before anyone points that out. Cool

Gurth gothrim Tel'Quessir
_doubleup
Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Write to them asking precisely why they are closing the account, explaining that you do not believe that any of the stated activities in the relevant clause apply to your account.

State that you are extremely annoyed with the suggestion that you have conducted the account improperly and wish the matter to be dealt with as a complaint. If you do not receive a satisfactory response, go to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
AJPoker
Straight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 pm
Exactly the same thing happened to me three years ago with Lloyds Bank. I'd been a customer for years had put plenty of money through there, never been overdrawn etc and out of the blue one day I walked into the branch to pay a cheque in and had it thrown back at me to be told that my account was locked and I couldn't make any transactions anymore and he couldn't tell me why. Imagine if I was in the process of buying a house with that money? The next day I got a letter just like yours except they were closing my account in one month.

I then spent the next four weeks trying to find out why this was happening, spoke to five different departments with various promises of callbacks and not one of them could tell me why they were closing my account. To this day I still don't know why. I can only assume it was because of the deposits at online poker sites. One guy I spoke to in the customer contact centre recognised my name and said he used to work in a branch where I used to pay cheques into four years previously and said "oh you played online poker". I said really he said "yes you told me". I said no I didn't (I never told any of them I played online poker) he started backtracking. So it was obvious he was taking a nosey interest in my account transactions- most unprofessional of them, like saying "oh yes you paid for a dirty weekend away with your mistress with your debit card".

When they did send the cheque balance to me after they closed the account (remember I couldn't do any transactions so couldn't withdraw it myself.) they took ten days to send it to me so I lost a load of interest. I was going to complain about that but gave up as I had too many other things to do. They caused me a huge amount of needless stress with their actions given how much we rely on the functions of banking in the age of the internet etc. What was so funny was they must have made alot of money out of my account charging all the merchants the debit cards fees etc and just a few months later they were on the verge of bankruptcy and had to be bailed out by all of us- just about sums up what a bunch of idiots they all are.

What I took from this and my advice to you, is to have a number of backup bank accounts in case anything like this happens and if you are thrown into turmoil you can start using one of the others. There are plenty out there- Natwest, Barclays or the piss-ant nonbanks like Santander. Or use a webwallet like Moneybookers for some of your volume of transactions- they seem to openly acknowledge gaming transactions with their "pro gambler" status which they call you if you are a vip.
Lucius Sweet
Quads

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:16 am
Grumbledook wrote:
had an midland/HSBC account for 30 years

wtf, I thought when I met you I thought you looked about 2 or 3 years older than me...how old are you?!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 am
gonna be 31 in october

my parents opened the account when I was born
Alex B
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:09 am
Isn't it normal in this type of thread for OP to not include the full story? I have used HSBC continually through gambling full time, setting up extra current accounts for bankroll, upgrading to Premier with job description "Poker Pro".

Have you ever charged-back a gambling transaction? Or perhaps at least something to do with transactions from DOJ-seized sources?
sleepingtom
Straight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:34 pm
Alex B wrote:
Isn't it normal in this type of thread for OP to not include the full story? I have used HSBC continually through gambling full time, setting up extra current accounts for bankroll, upgrading to Premier with job description "Poker Pro".

Have you ever charged-back a gambling transaction? Or perhaps at least something to do with transactions from DOJ-seized sources?

This post really tilts me.

It is normal on 2+2 for people with 1 post complaining there FTP accounts are locked for the OP to not include the full story.

No. and No.

I have included everything in the OP. I have never done anything wrong which is the whole point of the thread. If I have done anything at all wrong or broken any rules whatsoever then I would not have made this thread and would accept the fact HSBC no longer want me to bank with them.

Please don't just throw random things out there for the sake of it.

edit: they were offering me the premier service literally a couple of weeks before deciding to close me down.
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 pm
ah you turned down the premier service ;]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: