Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
MM
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
lex
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Agree with the bit about flopping trips, and betting the top of your range generally.

Robinson's main problem, from his play and his posts, seems to be that he accords Channing too much respect.
sleepingtom
Straight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:48 pm
can someone pay me to write these instead plz
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 pm
sleepingtom wrote:
can someone pay me to write these instead plz

No. Mr. Green
lex
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:29 pm
You know what bothers me? This storyline that says there is a correct and respectful way to learn the noble art of poker by humbly serving your apprenticeship. Bollocks. A good poker player should walk into any room and know that if things go one way he'll be leaving with a beautiful woman and if they go another there will be a dozen corpses on the floor and a dense mist of blood in the air, without any prejudice as to which he prefers. Talking about 4-betting frequencies, blogging, wearing the right polo shirt - these do not line the path to mastery.
Leus
Rigged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm
I think you may be confusing poker players with comic book samurai.

Quote:
Graciousness is an underrated and important quality for any sportsman...those who have needled him on the internet are being silly.

This is a philosophical point which seems to refer to the quality of the discussion here.

Technical analysis is a useful practice for many people, and some good points were raised in the thread in question. Even pure criticism can be useful so long as it doesn't descend into gratuitous insults. That seems to be what happened, despite the efforts of a few (including the player in question) to retain the technical character of the discussion.

The sticky rules in the Hand Analysis section address this problem directly, even if they don't strictly apply to this section:
"As ever, debate is welcome, personal abuse is not. Some of our posters are new to poker, others make their living from it. However bad someone's play may appear to be, non-constructive criticism will not be tolerated"

The effect of abuse is to stifle reasonable discussion and participation, which is indeed pretty silly. If forums aren't for that, what are they for? Entertainment for trolls?

Last edited by Leus on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DropTheHammer
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm
No, but they get you bought into expensive tournaments...
Vicky C
Full House

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm
TheNightRyder wrote:
As people get older they try and impose their fragile world view on everybody else.

I'd like to see that as a review on the back of a Clint Eastwood DVD.

Don't disappear Leus, it's just standard HMF needle. Not too bad today actually, God knows it's seen a lot worse.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:18 pm
Thread went off track and I have moved a lot of posts, although the one Vicky had replied to wasn't there. Confused
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:20 pm
this is why we need a bbv section

Brag : stuck up for a good guy

beat : when all the posts got deleted i though leus had posted again when he had not. Crying or Very sad

variance : i am in a vicky c thread and all my posts get deleted and fraacs are left in the thread.

what an eventful thread.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 pm
I haven't deleted any, just moved them for review. Angel
evelyn
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 pm
Indestructible wrote:

We don't really need them back. I can live without that stuff.
Scunner_D
thweeet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 pm
evelyn wrote:
Indestructible wrote:

We don't really need them back. I can live without that stuff.

but the rest of the forum can't live without Leus and Darrensprengers.
evelyn
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 pm
Take it up with them. It sounds like Leus has lost interest anyway.
Leus
Rigged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 pm
I'm having a stressful day, also got out of bed the wrong side. As far as I know Darren isn't going to abandon ship, I hope not anyway. I plan to be a quiet lurker for a while to concentrate totally on other stuff. This will please some but not others.

Usually the nonsense runs straight off my back, but I do think the quality of debate is important in itself. I'd say it has improved generally in the last few years, but perfection is impossible and at best it's about striking a balance so that people say roughly what they want without excluding others or clogging things up with stupid bickering. Lobbing insults around is empty and boring to me, except with people I know well, but it's something any ten year old can do. Refining it into an art form is all very clever, but it's also useless on a public forum.

There's an argument that complete freedom of expression is paramount, but I think that's not a practical proposition anyway. My post was intended to ask a question about where the line is supposed to be drawn. I can see why some people might not be interested in the details, there are more important things to worry about.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: