Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackett
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I very loosely follow the barmy Army and follow county cricket even less.

Watching the cricket tonight and watching Anderson bowl, seems a bit of a one trick pony? Very little movement in flight and rarely bang on the mark.

Have the sessions i have watched today been representative of his normal game, if so surely there must be better out there?
ReggieK
The Guvnor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Hackett, I know more about cricket than any of these self professed experts out there. If you need any cricket questions or queries answered, I'm your man.

Anderson to me, isn't up to the mark regarding test match cricket. His bowling average in the high 30s proves this.
In a swinging atmosphere, like we get in this country in summer, i.e warm and humid, he does well in the main.
Overseas in the hot dry weather he is found out time and time again.
When he came onto the scene aged 20 he was a revelation, quick (over 90mph), and with a good control and could swing it both ways.
Then the England coaches in their wisdom tried to alter his action, when he released the ball he wasn't watching where it pitched, so they tried to make him keep his head stiller.
This lead to a stress fracture of the back, a year out of the game near enough, and since then he's been a shadow of his former self.

So, you are correct, there are better bowlers out there, but for some reason the coaches don't pick them
Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm
Reg, who is this Imjad Khan?
ReggieK
The Guvnor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm
Checkov wrote:
Reg, who is this Imjad Khan?

The Kent paceman.

I remain to be convinced by him too, he had a good season in 2008, but previous he was pretty bog standard in my eyes.
Still, it will be good to give him a go, he can't be worse than Anderson and Harmlesson surely
hackett
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 pm
Anderson - 26 - Not Good Enough
Broad - 22 - Big Potential - Yes?
Flintoff - 32 - Say No More - But how much more?
Harrmison - 30 - Yesterdays man

So who else is there that i have yet to see for England?

Educate me.
Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:04 pm
Strauss should resign captaincy, should of enforced the follow-on.
ReggieK
The Guvnor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Well, I don't think he should have enforced the follow on, not with a dodgy Freddie and a at the time spewing up Harmy.
Should have definitely declared earlier though, yet again ultra conservative captaincy. Which wins nothing, as can be seen here again.

Quote:
Anderson - 26 - Not Good Enough
Broad - 22 - Big Potential - Yes?
Flintoff - 32 - Say No More - But how much more?
Harrmison - 30 - Yesterdays man

So who else is there that i have yet to see for England?

Educate me

Broad has huge potential, and the attitude like his father had, pencil him in for the next 10 years hopefully.
Flintoff I feel will retire from test cricket after this years Ashes, his body is like a 40 year olds with all his injuries.
Harmlesson has done nothing for 4 years, should have shelved him in 2006

Other bowlers are:

Rashid- Up and coming leg spin bowler, good batsman too
Kabir Ali- Best bowler in the country, god knows why he hasn't played more than one test
Simon Jones- If he can remain fit, thats the golden question
Amjed Khan- Seems to be the in favour bloke, like to see him given a go
Robbie Joseph- Had a stellar year in 2008, see how he gets on in 2009
David Harrison- Only young, but loads of potential

There are others, but it seems we are a little thin on the ground, but definitely quite a few should be given a chance ahead of Anderson and Harmlesson
Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm
Chris Woakes one for the future, would like too see him kept out of the England squad for a few seasons otherwise they'll mess himup.
Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm
ReggieK wrote:
Well, I don't think he should have enforced the follow on, not with a dodgy Freddie and a at the time spewing up Harmy.
Should have definitely declared earlier though, yet again ultra conservative captaincy. Which wins nothing, as can be seen here again.

He did send in a night watchman as well.
ReggieK
The Guvnor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:28 pm
Yep exactly, it didn't make any sense at all.
We certainly don't look like Ashes winners at this moment in time eh?

So now Freddies out, possibly KP

If you're reading this selectors, I got me whites in the loft and just pay me in fags and beer Cool
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 am
Why didn't we make the Windies follow on, I still can't work it out? Confused
esswun
Full House

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:01 am
watch out for tom barton.
i wont say i told u so
dezza666
Full House

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:06 am
Indestructable wrote:
Why didn't we make the Windies follow on, I still can't work it out? Confused

ReggieK wrote

Also - Strauss didn't want to bat last on a pitch which may have seriously deteriorated. Also, didn't want to put his batsman in a pressure situation (like Jamaica). Would you have put money on England chasing 100 or so to win the match?

Wink
itsmemark72
Full House

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:12 pm
Reggie,

Do you think English cricket would benefit from scrapping the county system as it stands and introducing a more Regionalised structure a la Australia?

Merge counties and make them overall more competative and have a more quality rather than quantity domestic season of games?

18 first class counties...reduced to 6 regions? off top of my head :

Durham, Yorks, Lancs
Notts, Derbys, Leics
Glamorgan, Somerset, Gloucs
Surrey, Middlesex, Essex
Hants, Sussex, Kent
Northants, Warwicks, Worcs
ReggieK
The Guvnor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:44 pm
I would hate to go down that path myself, I feel the quality is there on the County scene, just it seems when they come to pull on an England shirt, the passion isn't there.
Certain players like Bell, Harmlesson, Anderson etc seem never to give it 100% for 100% of the time.
That's the real issue with me, if you're getting paid nigh on half a million a year then you should give it your all, and be upset and angry when you lose, or should win like yesterday.
Man for man we are a better team than the WIndies, and even dare I say it Australia, but the results lately aren't there.
The blame partly can be put on weak management, Moores was never the right man for the job, I told Aggers about this as soon as he was appointed.
You can blame the army of backroom staff and various coaches, all conflicting against each other to justify their positions. Why we need a fielding coach and 3 physios and psychotherapists is beyond me. Along with 30 others all mingling behind the scenes.
You can blame the weak captaincy, or conservative captaincy. This is why I felt KP was a great appointment, he certainly isn't weak or conservative. But he was constricted to what he could do, the promises made to him by the ECB were broken.
Now we have Strauss, a man who stuck rigidly to the declaration being 500 ahead, totally forgetting the time it was taking out of the game, and the expected bad weather on the way.
Again, too conservative.
To me, I would much rather have 11 fighters in the team, even if they haven't got the talents of some they replace.
A good team would be:

Key (c)
Denly
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Davies (wkt)
Flintoff
Broad
Kabir Ali
Swann
Simon Jones (when fit)/Khan/Joseph/Onions/Plunkett (Any one of those lot for the no.11 spot)

All fighters, all would scrap to the last to win, rather than half the current lot of no marks who seem just to turn up to cash in their over inflated cheques
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: