Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
madride
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
WeeBaws wrote:
Anyone on here who thinks that England are going to win the World Cup show a complete lack of knowledge IMO.

LOL @ Them.

Should've won a major championship by now with the players at your disposal in the last 20 years IMO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Nemesis wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:
Anyone on here who thinks that England are going to win the World Cup show a complete lack of knowledge IMO.

LOL @ Them.

Yeah I mean the best teams in the world always wins cup competitions, right? The best teams in the world always reach the final and semi finals, right?

The jokes on you son.

So now they are one of the best teams in the world??

They are a joke.

One Semi final in a major championship over the last x amount of years.
Up there with South Korea.
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:22 pm
WeeBaws wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

Yeah I mean the best teams in the world always wins cup competitions, right? The best teams in the world always reach the final and semi finals, right?

The jokes on you son.

So now they are one of the best teams in the world??

They are a joke.

One Semi final in a major championship over the last x amount of years.
Up there with South Korea.

Fifa rankings has England as 8th best in the world. Any top 16 team can reach a world cup semi final and then lol donkaments.
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:25 pm
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

There is a clear difference between "going to win" and "can win".

Anyone who says that we "cannot win it" has a very poor knowledge of not only football but also the level of variance in top tournaments. It would not be inconceivable for a series of lucky events to come together that culminated in England winning it.

It will be a long time before we witness a major tournament like a world cup starting in which England are the favorites pre tournament (probably wont happen in our lifetime). But lesser teams can do big things and you only have to look as Greece for an example of that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:39 pm
Of course England can win, probably unlikely but they have loads of quality and there aren't many teams you would say are obviously better than them.

Anyone who's played sport at any kind of competitive level would agree I'm sure that one thing you need is belief and confidence. It's pointless entering something if you have already accepted you won't win. For their sakes I'd hope the players believe they have a chance of winning the World Cup.
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:43 pm
madride wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

Should've won a major championship by now with the players at your disposal in the last 20 years IMO

variance.
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:48 pm
The Dean wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

There is a clear difference between "going to win" and "can win".

Anyone who says that we "cannot win it" has a very poor knowledge of not only football but also the level of variance in top tournaments. It would not be inconceivable for a series of lucky events to come together that culminated in England winning it.

It will be a long time before we witness a major tournament like a world cup starting in which England are the favorites pre tournament (probably wont happen in our lifetime). But lesser teams can do big things and you only have to look as Greece for an example of that.

woah woah woah back up there. The year we (for the sake of this argument) won the euro championships we beat the hosts twice, the holders and the tournament red hot favourites. The record speaks for itself. It happens that teams come together at certain times and win stuff. Greece has a very small population os very rare. Unlike germany, brazil etc that do it every other tournament.
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:50 pm
Nemesis wrote:
madride wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

variance.

we need a bigger sample size. like another 50 years
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:52 pm
darrensprengers wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
madride wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

variance.

Yeah because 50 is a huge sample size! Wink
darrensprengers
Misclick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:56 pm
Nemesis wrote:
darrensprengers wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
madride wrote:
WeeBaws wrote:

LOL @ Them.

variance.

Yeah because 50 is a huge sample size! Wink

i meant to put 500. 50 is not funny
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:24 pm
Luck can greatly impact a team winning the world cup and is why England "can" win it. If you grouped England in with Rep Ireland, Cameroon and Saudi Arabia and then had them face Paraguay, the USA and then South Korea as future opponents in the knock out stages then you would be correct in heavily fancying us to make the World Cup Final.

Before you think that this cant happen, this was the run up that a very mediocre German side had upto the 2002 World Cup Final. England on the other hand were grouped in with Argentina and also met Brazil in the quarters.......could have easily been the other way around.

The volume of upsets in the 2002 WC led to this, early exits for France, Portugal, Argentina etc. At the end of the day its a cup competition and all it takes is a few sides getting knocked out or playing each other and a good half of the draw mixed in with some decent performances and anything can happen.

We are not as good as the top sides, thats blatantly obvious but it dont mean we cant win it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:30 pm
The Dean wrote:
Luck can greatly impact a team winning the world cup and is why England "can" win it. If you grouped England in with Rep Ireland, Cameroon and Saudi Arabia and then had them face Paraguay, the USA and then South Korea as future opponents in the knock out stages then you would be correct in heavily fancying us to make the World Cup Final.

Before you think that this cant happen, this was the run up that a very mediocre German side had upto the 2002 World Cup Final. England on the other hand were grouped in with Argentina and also met Brazil in the quarters.......could have easily been the other way around.

The volume of upsets in the 2002 WC led to this, early exits for France, Portugal, Argentina etc. At the end of the day its a cup competition and all it takes is a few sides getting knocked out or playing each other and a good half of the draw mixed in with some decent performances and anything can happen.

We are not as good as the top sides, thats blatantly obvious but it dont mean we cant win it.

Dean I will offer you 9/1 for bets up to $100.
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 pm
I was going to post an interesting point but by the time I clicked replay and the page loaded I forgot what it was.

So I posted this instead, no need to thank me.
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 pm
WeeBaws wrote:
The Dean wrote:

Dean I will offer you 9/1 for bets up to $100.

Backing long shots hardly fits my MO with regards sports betting and especially with mediocre odds like that. I would rather not give you the satisfaction of almost certainly taking my sixty nicker rather than expect variance to be on my side this once Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 pm
WeeBaws - how does offering people bets prove them wrong for saying England can win? Nobody's saying they'd bet England will win, just that it's possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: