Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross_PokerPlayerMag
Straight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
6-handed cash game in the Loose Cannon, 50p/1 blinds.

I was up to about 225 from my 150 starting stack. The table was quite loose but passive, lots of check-calling and no 3-betting at all pf without big hands. I think my image was of fairly loose-aggressive as I'd shoved the hand previous and made lots of bets without actually showing my cards once (had big hands).

I open A-9 from the cutoff to 4.50 and the SB calls.

The main factor in this hand is his mental state. He had dropped his 100 buy-in on a bluff about 30mins before and had been drinking at the bar before getting more cash out and sitting back in the game with another 120 or so. He was an average player who played far too many hands and was definitely tilted and a bit drunk.

Flop is A-4-7 rainbow.

SB checks, I bet 8.50, SB calls.

Turn is Qd putting a diamond draw there and the board reads A-4-7-Q.
SB checks, I bet 17.50 and he shoves on me for 74 more.

What do I do?

Another important note is that while I was tanking for 2mins or so he didn't take his eyes off me once and was doing the 'trying to look hard' staring at me thing constantly. Literally didn't take his eyes off me, make of this what you will....

Call or fold?
+44 (0)207 907 6840

http://www.pokerplayer.co.uk/
omen666
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Insta Fold, his range is big here and I think you are beat, more than likely with 2 pair.

Catch him another hand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:10 pm
call. Its hard to see how the Q helped him. unless he has a joke hand like Q 7. He probably has picked up a flush draw with his bottom/mid pair and now thinks he is phil ivey.

i) Drunk
ii) Giving you the please dont call stare.
iii) stuck

even if he had spiked two pair or hits a lucky runner runner flush at least you now know how he is/does play. I don't see him holding onto it for long. Just got to hope no one decent takes it off him
zebediah
Freed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:24 pm
I probably fold here, unless I smell bullshit at the time from him. He has made a standard turned 2 pair or flopped set move here, and you have already stated he isn't clever.
How did his previous bluff play out? This would also have a factor on this decision, if it was a well worked bluff gone wrong or an obvious missed draw bluff etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 pm
zebediah wrote:
I probably fold here, unless I smell bullshit at the time from him. He has made a standard turned 2 pair or flopped set move here, and you have already stated he isn't clever.
How did his previous bluff play out? This would also have a factor on this decision, if it was a well worked bluff gone wrong or an obvious missed draw bluff etc.

I won't reveal results here yet, but give background on his earlier bluff.

It was a board of Q-Q-2-4-4, check, check on flop. Check, mini-bet from SB on turn. Check, overbet shove from SB on river. Other guy made a good call with 99 and SB showed K-10.

I had a huuuge feeling and read that he was weak. I took a set completely out of his range as I thought he would either lead the turn or c/rai the flop and he's certainly 3-betting with pairs higher than Tens also pf.

Altho having said he was weak, my hand is also weak. My main thougth was that he wasn't confident he had the best hand basically.
+44 (0)207 907 6840

BruNA
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:55 pm
He's "at it".

You should have asked him how much has he in his pocket and that you re-raise him for that amount, wouldn't be long staring to the floor then Laughing
phatus
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 pm
call the drunk tilting fool Laughing .
BigCityBanker
Two Pair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:58 pm
ez call

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:42 pm
Fold. He sounds like the type of player who would with any any A pf in this spot - so basically what are you beating? Hoping he's got A 8, A 6? Good chance he hit two-pairs on the flop.

Or he might just be playing a flush draw aggressively...

but fold. sounds like you'd get a better spot against this guy.
le ti ga
Trips

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:14 pm
Snap call.
phatus
Quads

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:16 pm
moose30104 wrote:
Fold. He sounds like the type of player who would with any any A pf in this spot - so basically what are you beating? Hoping he's got A 8, A 6? Good chance he hit two-pairs on the flop.

Or he might just be playing a flush draw aggressively...

but fold. sounds like you'd get a better spot against this guy.

he could be bluffing as well.
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:45 pm
le ti ga wrote:
Snap call.

This

I wouldn't be surprised if he has something like KQ ad that he thinks he's ahead.
mrbejam
Straight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:02 pm
I think as you're up anyway (only losing bot 20 of initial buy in if wrong) and you have info on the guy a call seems right.

1st hand of the night id be dubious but what more do you want? A signed confession of his hand BEFORE he turns it over?lol

(edited instead of 3)

Last edited by mrbejam on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arachnaphid
Flush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 pm
I'd call
Ross_PokerPlayerMag
Straight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:58 pm
Good comments here.

Here's the reveal;

I tanked on it and eventually made the call. I ruled out a set from his range as described above and thought that the potential 2-pairs were too unlikely.

The only two hands I thought might be beating me were A-10 + A-J, and he showed up with A-10.

Now, here's another interesting point; when he makes this shove, I don't think he's doing for value per se, I think it's more he just has no idea what to do with his hand.

Did I out-think myself by calling or was my rationale correct here and I was just unlucky to be up against one of the two hands that beats me?
+44 (0)207 907 6840

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: