Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
MM
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
A new article has been published on the site:
Turning Pro by Carl Sampson 'The Dean'
gandalf55
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I see your 'sponsor' has changed!

Great article. I did the exchanges full time for 5 months and it just took over my life and soul despite it being a slightly profitable experience.

Gurth gothrim Tel'Quessir
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:13 pm
gandalf55 wrote:

Great article. I did the exchanges full time for 5 months and it just took over my life and soul despite it being a slightly profitable experience.

Thanks Gandalf, I have e-mailed MM to try and sort out those spaces

The Dean
www.cakepoker.com
Jc 7s 7d As
placemat
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:32 am
Youre right dont play to long.Health?Id rather be sitting at home than in the grubby fatory i used to work in.Its horses for courses.You say that you didnt muti table?No wonder you've had enough.Do you muti tab now?
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:22 am
placemat wrote:
Youre right dont play to long.Health?Id rather be sitting at home than in the grubby fatory i used to work in.Its horses for courses.You say that you didnt muti table?No wonder you've had enough.Do you muti tab now?

Multi-tabling wasnt an option in the early days.....cant remember offhand when it first came in.

It depends.....if I am tired and fancy playing on auto-pilot then I will do so and stick to limit hold'em where I can chisel some money without being totally focused and play four tables at lowish limits.

But if I play higher up then it is one table only and especially when it is NLHE.

The Dean
www.cakepoker.com
Jc 7s 7d As
Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:29 pm
With respect......

You are not really qualified to write such an article in relation to todays game and turning pro today.

You are going on your experience of being a pro,which you state was before multi-tabling online was an option? I've only been playing 3 years so have only ever known multi-tabling,when did it become an option?

Im not suprised tho that the life of a pro became tiresome playing 1 table at a time,its only logical that to make a decent amount the time needed to be be invested is astronomical compared to multi-tablers of today.(granted a big % of "online pros" still play a lot more than the 60 hours a week you found exhaustive)

But imo,you are misleading people with this article,advising them not to do something you yourself have not even tried.
The_Diamond
Straight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 am
It's horses for courses and full time poker just isn't' for everyone.

Some people are capable poker player but can't deal with the lifestyle. Some love the lifestyle but can't play poker.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:25 am
Murph1984 wrote:
With respect......

You are not really qualified to write such an article in relation to todays game and turning pro today.

You are going on your experience of being a pro,which you state was before multi-tabling online was an option? I've only been playing 3 years so have only ever known multi-tabling,when did it become an option?

Im not suprised tho that the life of a pro became tiresome playing 1 table at a time,its only logical that to make a decent amount the time needed to be be invested is astronomical compared to multi-tablers of today.(granted a big % of "online pros" still play a lot more than the 60 hours a week you found exhaustive)

But imo,you are misleading people with this article,advising them not to do something you yourself have not even tried.

With respect.......you are wrong for the simple reason that this article has barely touched the surface on what I have done over the past six years and I multi-table regularly but I dont do it when I play higher up.

If you think that the article is misleading then I suggest you view the other thread on playing full time and see the views of the other people on this forum, many of which have tried it in some capacity at some stage.

As for not being qualified then......well I will leave that upto other people to decide but if you knew me better and what I stand for and do instead of basing an opinion from one article then you would understand that I am more than qualified with the greatest respect.

The Dean
www.cakepoker.com
Jc 7s 7d As
reevio
Full House

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:19 am
gandalf55 wrote:

Was the move part of the stoxpoker thing or just not working out?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:36 pm
Dean

I have played poker for a living for three years. I have a great life, love what I do and am comfortable in the knowledge that sitting infront of my computer playing poker all day is much more fun and challenging that what 95% of my friends do.

Regards

Balloo
Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:03 pm
Dean,i am not for one second questioning your knowledge of the game in any way,shape or form.O r indeed your writing abilities,your achievements in that department are certainly impressive and deserving of much respect.

My reply was my thoughts on this article so your pointer for me to read other articles is confusing.

You state that the only time you have played fully as a pro online was when multi-tabling was not an option,therefore you have not experienced it in todays climate and game,so therefore imo not qualified to pass judgemnt on it to the extent of advising others not to do it.
esswun
Full House

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:11 pm
lol what part is he not qualified to write about exactly?
Murph
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:57 pm
s1ngularity wrote:
lol what part is he not qualified to write about exactly?

How about the part of being a full-time online pro in todays game today?

Seeing as he openly says he hasnt done it,that imo would lead to the logical conclusion he is not qualified to write about it.

But maybe thats just me Shocked Neutral Laughing
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:37 pm
I think a few people have misunderstood what I was actually trying to say in that article and jumped on me a bit....fair do's.

But please be aware that I know the industry from both sides, I am fully aware of people who play full time online, what they do and what they dont do, how happy they are and unhappy they are. If I wanted to be a full time player then I could be but each of us chooses our own way of working to get the job done with the most pleasure (hopefully there is some of that in it)

As someone pointed out....its horses for courses but what I am getting at here really even though it wasnt mentioned in the article is that the level of hype and misinformation in poker is mind boggling and many people get seduced into wanting to play the game for a living who are either not good enough and never will be for whatever reason or they lack other personal attributes.

Dont forget that the average person on this forum probably has a greater knowledge of poker than the average non forum user IMO and this means that a greater percentage of us are beating the game for the simple reason that we take the time to better our game by coming on a forum.....most people dont do that or go to that level.

But how can I be critical of something that I do personally a good percentage of the week so please see the article for what it is and look at it in a far wider context.

The Dean
www.cakepoker.com
Jc 7s 7d As
The Dean
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:41 pm
reevio wrote:
gandalf55 wrote:

Was the move part of the stoxpoker thing or just not working out?

Hi Jamie,

We both wanted to persue our own different strategies that I suppose were not mutually condusive.

The Dean
www.cakepoker.com
Jc 7s 7d As
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: