Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
timster123
Two Pair

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Hi, i really wanna make the effort to visit Vegas whilst the WSOP events are going on, i'd like to play in the smaller buy in Binions tournaments and hopefully win a satellite into a world series event. and also play in some cash games.
I really need some advice about travel arrangements though.
I'd obviously like to fly out as cheaply as possibly, i had a look at Virgin Atlantic's website and i typed in roughly the dates i'd want to go (end of june/beginning of July time) and i was a bit shocked at the price of 620 per person for a return flight. that seems a bit over the odds for just a flight nowadays, i've been on package holidays cheaper than that.
Is it just the time of year that makes it so expensive?
Does anyone know of any good package deals or just flights departing from London airports in June/July?
Finally, do you think it's wise to book hotels before you leave? Or find the best deals when you're there?
That reminds me, any recommendation's for hotels for the poker player on a budget? (if you mention that fact do you get 'comps' or a special room rate? You do at Binions don't you?)
Lastly, i heard it was 100 Fahrenheit everyday, does that just make it unbearably hot all the time? Or is everything air conditioned to death?
Rmaccov
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:48 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Matty The Saint
Straight

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:56 am
You could always stay at the backpackers hostel on fremont street.
Misneach
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:39 am
You aint gonna fly any cheaper direct to Vegas...
Simon Galloway
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:56 am
timster123 wrote:
How do I cheese it in Vegas?

1. Flights
You can get Virgin for 400 for future ref, but not this late in the day. Just go Virgin (or Maxjet) just go Direct. You can go indirect and change, spending maybe 6 or 7 extra hours to get there, possibly missing connections etc and save yourself 300. If you are a good enough player to expect a return in a WSOP sat or a Binions tourny, just spend 6 or 7 hours some time between now and then playing poker, win the extra 300 and book Virgin, don't be a tight-arse!

2. Hotels

If you are going to play a lot of the Binions tournys and want to save money on hotels - fair enough. A 3 second search (no point in spending any longer without specific dates) tells me in June you can stay in Main St Station or 4Queens for $40-$50 a night. Golden Nugget would be worth a look, but usually more expensive.

Don't worry about asking for a poker rate, just take that rack rate so that you have no obligation to them to play - you never know, you may be busy at the Rio if your satellite attack goes well!

Absolutely book the room now. If it goes up (and it will) you are locked in. If it does come off, you can cancel and rebook.

3. Others

Yes it will be very hot. Permanently. Drink loads of water, even if not thirsty. Take away the neon and you are in the middle of the desert after all. Loads of people get sick not drinking enough water.

Whilst I can sympathise with doing stuff on a shoestring, as with my comment on flights, if you are good enough to have a crack at a WSOP event, eke out a few extra $ and enjoy yourself out there. For a few more $ than McDonalds, you can eat like a King.

If you want one cheesy tip to save money on a night out, loiter around the slots and tip the servers $1 a bottle of beer for half a dozen beers to get you started - then when you go to a premium bar/club you don't need to drink as much in there, as it will be $5-$10 for a beer there.

Vegas can be done on a shoestring, but money talks in Vegas, you will have a lot more fun in all departments if a)you have some and b)you are willing to part with it.

Enjoy.[/u]
Misneach
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:06 am
Quote:
loiter around the slots and tip the servers $1 a bottle of beer for half a dozen beers to get you started

surely youre in the wrong city if it comes to this Mr. Green

go and play video poker at the starting gate bar at the bellagio, and you will gulp 20 Bella peaches ($12 a pop) for free....yum yum...and you will stand up and prob fall straight down
Jon MW
The British Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 am
Simon Galloway wrote:

1. Flights
... You can go indirect and change ... save yourself 300. ...don't be a tight-arse!

I don't quite agree with the whole going direct and earning the difference back. Why pay money when you don't have to?

because of -
Simon Galloway wrote:

2. Hotels

... $40-$50 a night....

Why not just stay an extra night so that you have a whole day to get over the extra hassle/fatigue caused by the indirect flight and pocket the difference?

If money isn't so important than a direct flight is obviously worth it, but if you are on a shoestring budget than the extra cost represents a significant proportion of your whole budget.

2010/11 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain
5 Star HORSE Classics - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Misneach
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:47 am
In my honest opinion - vegas - shoestrings and budget - should not come in the one sentence...If you cant afford to go to Las Vegas, specially for your first time..dont go..youre only fooling yourself..answer how you wish..but this is my opinion..travelling from Europe to Las Vegas for a budget holiday, well you can figure out yourself that it doesnt exactly go together..

Why dont you try and qualify online for the Main event?? You are intending to play a satellite out there right? allbeit you said to a wsop event and not the exactly the main event.the standard will be far greater than what you wud encounter online? And should you be successful in winning a seat online, you may win it cheaper than the buy in you would pay in Las Vegas, not only will you have extra funds for expenses but you will also have your hotel paid for, for about 2 weeks, more savings..flight paid for...more savings....You can attempt to qualify online for little or noting and in turn you will be rewarded with a full package to Las Vegas...
Simon Galloway
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:26 pm
Jon MW wrote:
some fair challenges

Jon, first up, there is a level of subjectivity to this, so everyone can "be right" by doing what sits comfortably with them.

"Why pay money when you don't have to?" is the poker player's lament. I would answer it with "because the opportunity cost of avoiding that payment is often higher than the payment in the first place!"

When you are stretched out in Denver airport for 7 hours on a missed connection, you will probably have wished that you paid the 300 in the first place? Even if not, I would prefer the alternative of grinding out 300 than 7 hours of mindless travel. If you prefer the 7 hours of mindless travel, then I can't argue with that.

Your idea of booking an extra night to rest is ok - but when I play I never play before day 2 (and sometimes day 3) anyway - but that's down to individual ability/discipline/stamina/tolerance. So, I have factored in a rest period as well as a direct flight.

Out of interest, how do you choose to move around Vegas? I ask this because I got the new double-deuce bus once - and never again. yes it saved me $10, but it cost me 2 hours of my time that I put a higher value on, particularly whilst in Vegas. Some of the players seem to go to such extremes to avoid paying (out of a mis-guided sense of being prudent with budget rather than genuine stinginess I feel) but it often backfires and costs you more than you save.
Simon Galloway
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:35 pm
Misneach wrote:

surely youre in the wrong city if it comes to this Mr. Green

Couldn't agree more. Check the last para of this:
http://www.gutshot.com/gscontent/view.php?id=602

Just trying to help people out, but I'm with you at the VP bar...
Misneach
Full House

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:59 pm
loooool, very nice indeed!! I don't quite do that & having good friends working behind the bar is also very helpful for endless cocktails of Bella peach..or whatever takes ur fancy..but it's easily done as you have shown and when drinks are pricey at around $12 upwards its merely crazy not to take full advantage..but in saying that I normally end up in some club splashing out $160 a time for bottles of champagne..not very clever..Mad

Perhaps I'll catch up with u in the summer and we can see how far $20 will take us ..
Karabiner
Trips

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:53 pm
Off the top of my head I would recommend The Orleans or The Plaza as reasonable rates for decent accomodation.

Try checking out www.cheapovegas.com, I have found that to be very helpful.

Good Luck !
Peverelpele2
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:00 pm
Have to agree, if you can avoid it don't do Vegas on a budget.
morlspin
Straight

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:33 pm
I have to disagree with the "dont do vegas on a shoe string brigade"

The 1st time i went to vegas was in December 2004 for 3 nights to see Vitali Klitschko vs Danny Williams at the Mandalay Bay Events Centre which cost 25 for a ticket, i flew with Virgin direct to LA for 230 and onto Vegas for 60 return

I stayed in the Travelodge south strip behind Paris for 25 a night friday and saturday and had the sunday in the luxor for 25 too.

I took with me 200 spending money and played an MTT on friday night, and 2 MTT's on the sunday, cashing both nights, which i happilly pocketed and on the monday i went shopping and came back with a suitcase full of new clothes,

however i also had the time of my life and have since been back 4 times in 2 years, albeit with a bit more money, but i wouldnt ever discourage someone for trying it out on the cheap. after all, we all go on about bankroll management and the like.

Id say the entire trip cost me around:

flights 290
hotels 75
fight 25
spends 200

thats a massive 590 for a 3 night break to Vegas and the time of my life on a really small budget, yes its gonna be a bit more expensive now but you dont need money to have a good time (although it does help)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:36 pm
also.....try this link for all the bonus codes in vegas you will ever need, massive hotels discounts and many buy one get one night free offers...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messa...amp;newest=1#last
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: