View previous topic :: View next topic  
tryinmybest
Two Pair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:40 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
in my 1st big tourney a 93 runner 300 freezeout im chip leader at the final table with 210k. i limp in utg with pocket 8s(mistake i now know)its folded round to bb who checks. the flop comes 8d 5s 6s. giving me top set. the bb bets 10k i raise to 30k he goes all in for another 105k. after much thought i call he shows 9s 7s the straight with straight flush draw although i have the 8s. i miss and im down to around 60k. in hind sight i should have laid it down but this player was not the tightest playerin thre world. any thoughts on this situation was it a bad call. still learning the game appreicate any thoughts. i went out shortly afterwards.

Last edited by tryinmybest on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:19 am; edited 5 times in total
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:55 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Unlucky
Brit_Abroad
Full House

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:59 am
I can't see myself getting away from this, but maybe a better player would. Yes you can put him on the straight, but 55 & 66 are also possible, he could also be betting 2 pair in this case as well. Given that you have outs against the possibility of the straight, this is a call every time to me if I am thinking of aggressively building my stack.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:01 am
it's tricky because if you'd raised PF, the BB would probably want to defend.

i think most people would lose money in this situation. In hindsight, you could have folded after the re-raise all in but if you already have 40 in and it's another 60-odd to call, with top set and someone who could be defending his blinds on a pure bluff or with either a gutshot or flush draw it's a very tough call to make. It's almost a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't decision.

If you'd have folded, everyone would have declared open season on the rest of your stack anyway. Especially if you'd made the mistake of showing top set!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:03 am
Why did you delete your own post? It was a fair enough question. Ask yourself what could he have. He could have,

1/ two pair
2/ flush draw
3/ a set
4/ pair and a flush draw
5/ one pair
6/ straight
7/ pair and straight draw

You should work out the likely chance of each. There is almost no way that I could lay down top set in this spot. I can't remember the exact chip counts but I would almost definately put my chips in in this situation. Even if he has the straight you are still 30% to win the pot. and there are already chips in there.

Preflop I personally would have made a raise but even if you did in this spot the BB would probably have called. Don't beat yourself up about it, you were just unlucky.
tryinmybest
Two Pair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:11 am
deleted it by mistake really appreicate your replys it was a sickner at the time but gotta get over it and back to the table. cheers
ReggieK
The Guvnor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm
Top set? No way can this be laid down surely, too many times you will beat the all in bloke for it to be profitable. Obviously on this occasion you weren`t.
Its just one of those cooler hands.
Like getting down to heads up and you seeing KK and him seeing AA.
All the moneys going in the middle

Reg
TheRealDeal
Full House

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:36 pm
I do not think you can lay this down. It is a huge pot and you are only a 2-1 shot for the board to pair. Unlucky.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:30 pm
bad call. i mean come on of course hes got 7 9. you maniac.
seriously though no getting away from it. thats poker!!!
bunthorne
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 am
I think the only questionable play you made was, as you have pointed out, the preflop limp from UTG. What would you have done if a player yet to act has raised you? If you would have folded then you don't limp in the first place, if you would have called then you should raise initially. If you raise and face a preflop reraise you can easily let go of your pair. 88 is, after all, merely a small pair and vulnerable to anyone limping in with a 9 or better!

But on the flop you cannot put it down. You are beating a lot of his potential holdings and even if you are behind have outs to a full house or quads.

I should congratulate yourself if you were chip leader at the final table in your first big tourney. Quite an achievement in my view.
Tomy_Lee
One Pair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 pm
tryinmybest wrote:
in hind sight i should have laid it down but this player was not the tightest playerin thre world.

It`s not difficult to lay it down IMHO because of limping in UTG. Set against possible straight and flush draw is pretty much easy pass because of limping in. Smile If you raised and he called you wouldn`t expect him to have 9s 7s (if he isn`t turbo loose/aggresive player).
You should have raised 3-4 x BB. That would be the right play, I think.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: