Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobDaGod
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
http://terrencechan.livejournal.com/126076.html

Matusow is a loud mouth but seems a nice enough guy. Hellmuth is a great player who can't control himself and hates to lose, Tony G, well, he's been an arsehole I won't argue. You're right Gold isn't in the same league, he's in the arsehole Premiership.
Moo
Quads

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:19 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Robert wrote:
When Jamie walked over to his mother she was overheard laughing,''No more money for charity! Guess they're out of luck! Hahahaha!!!''

So now he's an "arsehole" because of something his mother is alleged to have said? That's fair.

And in any case, David Einhorn is a billionnaire. Personally I found it rather graceless of him to make such a big deal about donating an amount of money which is the equivalent of me donating the contents of my trouser pockets.
zebediah
Freed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:21 am
Moo wrote:
Robert wrote:
When Jamie walked over to his mother she was overheard laughing,''No more money for charity! Guess they're out of luck! Hahahaha!!!''

So now he's an "arsehole" because of something his mother is alleged to have said? That's fair.

And in any case, David Einhorn is a billionnaire. Personally I found it rather graceless of him to make such a big deal about donating an amount of money which is the equivalent of me donating the contents of my trouser pockets.

So you think Einhorn is the twat..not gold? lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:22 am
Moo wrote:
Robert wrote:

So now he's a twat because of something his mother is alleged to have said? That's fair.

I think it's indicative of his attitude that she would be like that with him. If he was going to be offended by it she would have kept her mouth shut.

2010/11 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain
5 Star HORSE Classics - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
BobDaGod
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:25 am
Moo wrote:

Aside from the responses already given, Einhorn didn't make a big deal over it, when the money got big he mentioned it and the press made a big deal out of it. He wants to give the charity as much publicity as he could, as he should, it's much better for the MJF foundation if he makes his intentions public because it's a huge advert for the charity.
Capablanc
One Pair

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:28 am
Moo wrote:
The Reverend wrote:
Seems like we've found your perfect poker idol Mooster, your kind of guy

First, this was not a personality contest. It's poker, which is no respecter of personality. Look at the followings Matusow, Hellmuth and Guoga have because of their rudeness and buffoonery at the table. Gold's conduct was not in their league. The only accusations I've heard are that he asked for a player to get a 10 min penalty for swearing (quite right, those are the rules) and he gave a rather graceless commentary when he knocked out Gryko, but which one of can guarantee we wouldn't lose a bit of composure in that position. As for being a twat in his business, I suspect that's mandatory if you're a Hollywood agent.

Second, you can't dislike a guy because he got lucky. He played a great game, in fact a world class game in my opinion, and that's all he could do. He can't help the cards.

Third, we all know where nice guys finish... 8773rd.

Personally, I'd rather have seen someone else win it too, but it's churlish not to give credit where it's due.

Too much pressure on one event. This desire to have one person each year who is at the apex of the poker world. Not many personalities can stand that kind of pressure, especially if they have spent most of their previous life out of the public eye. He comes across as a bit of a jerk but so did I last week when my baby son kept me up all night and I had an early meeting the next day. And I'm a saint for godsakes. Bit of media training and I'd have been fine.

Gold's slightly brash and self congratulatory approach at the table doesn't seem reflective of top flight poker pros as a whole but is an almost perfect reflection of a very large section of the actual poker playing community as a whole - the whole online army of them. Spent most of his life doing something else but really loves lording it around the table, getting more than a bit lucky and then getting quite smug about it. Seems familiar to me based on the whole wind-up crew I was playing with last week.

In that respect he's a perfect champion to reflect the people who are actually playing the game not the lonesome cowboys we like to think are.
Moo
Quads

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:30 am
zebediah wrote:
So you think Einhorn is the twat..not gold? lol

No, I certainly do not think David Einhorn is a "twat". I just thought the publicity surrounding his charity donation made him look like more of a hero than he actually is when you consider how trivial to him was the amount of money he donated. But I do not think Jamie Gold is a "twat" either.

Jon MW wrote:
I think it's indicative of his attitude that she would be like that with him. If he was going to be offended by it she would have kept her mouth shut.

So now a person is culpable for the statements other people make to them on the basis that they would not have been made if that person would not have approved of them?

That is ridiculous. And if that's your basis for believing Jamie Gold is a "twat", then I can only assume you want to believe he is a "twat" regardless of the evidence (or lack thereof).

I suspect there are a lot of jealous people out there. I am one of them. But let's try to be fair.
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:33 am
he came accross as a stereotypical brash american
Palatial
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:39 am
I didn't like Gold, for no reason really, until I watched the live coverage and realised that as well as being a collosal luck box, he can play. I agree with Moose his table talk may not have won him any friends but it won him the ME bracelet and $12 mill - does he care if it makes him unpopular... would you?

"I have a weak hand"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:08 pm

You may have seen this picture before, but I think I'm OK on copyright here. Goodnight guys.
The Sheriff
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:16 pm
Thanks for the update all along

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:20 pm
Moo wrote:
Has there ever been a ME final table more dominated by one player from start to finish? Yes he's been lucky, but he's played the best too.

Yes 2004 Main Event, Greg Raymer dominated it
zebediah
Freed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm
Cornerback wrote:
Moo wrote:
Has there ever been a ME final table more dominated by one player from start to finish? Yes he's been lucky, but he's played the best too.

Yes 2004 Main Event, Greg Raymer dominated it

touche

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:46 pm
just woke up to the news....shame

unlucky allen.

you can feel it in your gut when you don't like the look or the whole persona of a person...I don't like jamie gold.
zebediah
Freed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm
Aces-cracked wrote:
just woke up to the news....shame

lazy bugger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: