View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koumari Boy
Full House

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:31 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Following on from a meeting I had along with three fellow players and some high ranking officials at The Rio I sent the follwing e-mail to Jeffrey Pollack last Friday (28 July).

A week has now passed and I have yet to receive a formal reply but Jeffrey Pollack did verablly tell me that he was reluctant to deal with the WPA and that he wanted a direct interaction with players last weekend.

Dear Mr Pollack,

Some time has now elapsed since our meeting and I have now had an opportunity to meet and discuss matters extensively with a number of fellow players and indeed a few other interested parties.

Whilst your comments and suggestions were warmly received there was unanimous agreement that perhaps the best way forward may not be to have the formation of an International player panel/committee. This is not to say that international players do not have special needs but rather, like so many others, we are but one small piece of the overall picture.

Despite many of us wishing to each have an individual input, it was felt that perhaps this could lead to a situation of confusion and chaos whereby there would be too many individualistic or smaller similar groups competing with each other to have their say and influence. As such there seems little point in having a Player Consultation Panel (as you have at present) along with an International Players Committee/Group.

It would appear, therefore, that a more unified approach would perhaps better suit us all including Harrahs and The WSOP.

Many players (including myself) are members of the rapidly expanding WPA (World Poker Association) whose aim is to establish a body that can represent and express the views of a number of sections within the poker community (Staff, Players, Tournament Directors, Organizers etc. etc.). Absolutely no individual, group or body is excluded from joining and it is felt strongly that such an organization can help us bring together the various interested parties who can collectively work together towards a common goal of taking poker forward into the future for the benefit of us all.

It is my express wish, along with all the other players and persons with whom I have consulted over the past week or so, that you liaise and consult with The WPA on all matters relating to the development of The WSOP and that you acknowledge them as our vehicle for communicating our comments and concerns to your organization.

This should prove mutually beneficial to us all as it will firstly enable you to deal with a solitary body that can represent more than just the players within the poker community and also enable the players to communicate their views to yourself in a unified, efficient and effective manner. It would also help to get a consensus view and avoid the current impression of a few having a disproportionate say.

Best Regards

Charidimos (Harry) Demetriou
Koumari Boy
Full House

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Well today in the Main Event they seem to be at it again (well this is what I have heard and await confirmation).

They stated that play would continue until there were 600 players left and once they got down to 590 they decided to add an extra half a level and then made it an extra one and a half levels.

This is just another example of taking the players for granted and cannot be allowed to go unchallenged.

Apparently when enquiries were made about these late changes to todays schedule it was pointed out that Howard Greenbaum had taken this decision.
Kevin Hutchins

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:44 pm
Who is Howard Greenbaum?

Why wouldn't Harrahs become a corporate member of the WPA?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:27 pm
They are reluctant to hold direct talks with the WPA?, but would prefer to talk to a few players instead. Why would they want to hold talks with anyone who is seen as a threat to their power base or who can challenge their dictorial rule over everything? As with all good dictators they like to bully those they percieve to be weak. Wink

perhaps a rival WSOP , the RWSOP the (real series of poker) is one avenue to pursue? setting it up would be an eyeopener. Unless an alternative comes to challange the milking of the WSOP as its become under harrahs then everyone just pay up and smile.

It will be hilarious, believe me watching harrahs duck and dive and inventing all sorts of nonsense in limbo dancing to avoid any meaningful contact with an organisiation such as the WPA.

i think their opening gambit reveals their true colours there.

Once again i wish you all the best.

PS. did you enquire why they are so reluctant to engage in talks with the WPA if they are honest and keen about 'hiccups' with running the WSOP this year and in future years?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:33 pm
There was a post on rgp from Bob Feduniak about some sort of comittee who were having talks with Ha$$ahs and an email address to contact him.

Did you see that or spoken to Bob yourself Harry ?
Koumari Boy
Full House

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:33 am
Koumari Boy wrote:
Well today in the Main Event they seem to be at it again (well this is what I have heard and await confirmation).

They stated that play would continue until there were 600 players left and once they got down to 590 they decided to add an extra half a level and then made it an extra one and a half levels.

This is just another example of taking the players for granted and cannot be allowed to go unchallenged.

Apparently when enquiries were made about these late changes to todays schedule it was pointed out that Howard Greenbaum had taken this decision.

Apparently when Howard Greenbaum was asked about why he made this decision to extend the day 3 play by 1.5 levels his answer was:

"It was ESPN who made the decision"

Make of that answer what you will but I can't believe ESPN have that much power. They may have requested it for exaample but someone within the WSOP set up must have surely ordered it.
Jon MW
The British Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:33 am
Sky can influence the timing of Premiership football matches.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if the broadcasters can provide their input, but it's up to the organisers of the event to ensure that the outcome is for the good of the game and not just for the good of the broadcasters. I can't see Harrah's acting in this way.

2010/11 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain
5 Star HORSE Classics - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Fatboydim
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:55 am
It's very simple... Now this I do know about. TV.

It's in ESPN's interests to get this thing over and done with as quickly as possible. As long as they've got enough footage to show they're happy. We're currently two days ahead of schedule. That means ESPN are going to save money. If two days are gone... that's two days you don't have to pay the technicians. Costs come down profits go up.

Also if you have your technicians all paid up to film X amount of hours on Day 4. You still have to pay them for X amount of hours... So it makes sense all round why ESPN make the decision they do.

Morally of course it's complete cock.

But what I want to know is why Pokerstars and the other giants of internet poker - who provide most of the field - don't kick up a fuss.

They have the real power to turn the WSOP into a non event. If they decided not to run sats, and set up their own B&M world tournament it would be goodbye WSOP.
Tiger Balm Me
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 pm
Jon MW wrote:
Sky can influence the timing of Premiership football matches.

It's not necessarily a bad thing if the broadcasters can provide their input, but it's up to the organisers of the event to ensure that the outcome is for the good of the game and not just for the good of the broadcasters. I can't see Harrah's acting in this way.

Dont Sky actually sponsor football, you know pump hundreds of millions of pounds into the players kitty for the right to do this, thats how the word 'sponsor' appears.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but how much do ESPN or Harrah's pump/add into the players prize kitty/fund, as far as i am aware, and please correct me if im wrong, but dont Harrah's actually skim money out of the players prize fund, millions/hundreds of thousands of pounds out of the prize pool is creamed off every event isant it?

If Sky creamed millions off a players/teams prize fund what do you think the reaction would be?

It seems you have blind faith in Harrahs, if they will recycle crooked/marked decks with such regularity and so blatently, my mind boggles at what else they would get up to. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:12 pm
Good point.

Although - who has blind faith in Harrah's?
Didn't you read the last sentence?

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tiger Balm Me
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:28 pm
I read it? did i miss something? Its up to Harrah's to make sure all decisions are for the good of the game and not the media?

my point is if Harrah's are recycling crooked marked decks despite protestations from players, then i dont really have much faith in anything else they may be doing?

But alas with all conspiracy theories regarding who may have done what, its probably better to wait for the facts before we jump the gun and start finger pointing?

parhaps Harrah's in their efforts to dispel all the confusion and for the good of the game, will put forth a soundbite to eradicate the confusion regarding the matter?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:31 pm
Tiger Balm Me wrote:
I read it? did i miss something? Its up to Harrah's to make sure all decisions are for the good of the game and not the media?

Jon MW wrote:
...I can't see Harrah's acting in this way.

Very Happy

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tiger Balm Me
Straight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:42 pm
Koumari Boy wrote:
Koumari Boy wrote:

Apparently when Howard Greenbaum was asked about why he made this decision to extend the day 3 play by 1.5 levels his answer was:

"It was ESPN who made the decision"

Make of that answer what you will but I can't believe ESPN have that much power. They may have requested it for exaample but someone within the WSOP set up must have surely ordered it.

didant anybody follow up with the money question, such as WHY? [b]What are the reasons for this?

Its no wonder they (Harrah's) are reluctant to engage in any form of dialouge with organisations such as the WPA, there would be too many pesky questions to answer and be accountable to, better to respond to a few players here and there eh?

[/b]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: