View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattJ
Straight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

As many regular users of this forum may have noticed i seem to come up with a few long posts from time to time. I enjoy writing, i find writing stuff down helps me organize things in my own head better than just thinking about it. I also find it relaxing (bizarre but true, although my inability to type detracts from the effect).

I have written many articles in my time, mostly concerning medicine as this is my chosen profession. However, of late i have started writing about poker, its something i enjoy and writing about it has helped my game. If i write something about, say, neonatal RDS (very medical), i know exactly to whom i should turn in order to get it published (in however small a fashion). In this way i can get information out there where people who care may find it useful.

Now i find myself sitting on a bunch of articles i have written about poker. The trouble is i don't know what to do with them (put them in the bin? i am sure some of you are thinking). Does anyone have any idea how you can go about getting an article you have written about poker published in one form or another? I am unaware of any poker publications that i might be able to submit them to.

I do not claim to be an authority on the subject of poker, or even to be any good at the game. Even so, some of what i write is (hopefully) educational and some of it might prove interesting/amusing. I can but try.

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.

MattJ

p.s. if anybody would be interested in reading some of what i have written and would be willing to offer feedback regarding the soundness of my observations let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Matt

I would be interested in reading what you have written. Can you email me something?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:14 pm
Hi Matt

I enjoy your posts on this Forum a great deal - keep 'em coming. Perhaps you will be kind enough to respond to the post I am about to add to the thread lower down the page?

In the meantime I was reading Poker Europa magazine on the 2am train home from Luton last night, as you do. In answer to your question I remember noticing an item on, I think, the last page actively seeking poker-related contributors and articles. Sadly, I don't have the magazine with me today to be able to give you their contact details.

See if you can pick one up at your local card room. Alternatively, you can get in contact with Poker Europa via, I think, the Poker in Europe website or the mob may be able to give you (the editor) Nic Szeremeta's details. This may give you a direction to head in.

Good luck

John Le H.

--Previous Message--

:
: As many regular users of this forum may have noticed i seem to come up with
: a few long posts from time to time. I enjoy writing, i find writing stuff down
: helps me organize things in my own head better than just thinking about it. I
: also find it relaxing (bizarre but true, although my inability to type detracts
: from the effect).
:
: I have written many articles in my time, mostly concerning medicine as this
: is my chosen profession. However, of late i have started writing about poker,
: its something i enjoy and writing about it has helped my game. If i write
: something about, say, neonatal RDS (very medical), i know exactly to whom i
: should turn in order to get it published (in however small a fashion). In this
: way i can get information out there where people who care may find it useful.
:
: Now i find myself sitting on a bunch of articles i have written about
: poker. The trouble is i don't know what to do with them (put them in the bin?
: i am sure some of you are thinking). Does anyone have any idea how you can go
: about getting an article you have written about poker published in one form or
: another? I am unaware of any poker publications that i might be able to submit

(...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:47 pm
--Previous Message--

: Hi Matt
:
: I enjoy your posts on this Forum a great deal - keep 'em coming. Perhaps you
: will be kind enough to respond to the post I am about to add to the thread lower
: down the page?
:
: In the meantime I was reading Poker Europa magazine on the 2am train home from
: Luton last night, as you do. In answer to your question I remember noticing an
: item on, I think, the last page actively seeking poker-related contributors and
: articles. Sadly, I don't have the magazine with me today to be able to give you
: their contact details.
:
: See if you can pick one up at your local card room. Alternatively, you can get
: in contact with Poker Europa via, I think, the Poker in Europe website or the
: mob may be able to give you (the editor) Nic Szeremeta's details. This may give
: you a direction to head in.
:
: Good luck
:

(...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:03 pm
just post them on RGP, unless you want money, then I think you are in for a struggle.
HWB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:54 pm
Matt

I would be grateful if you could post any stories articles etc on.

www.tradingsuite.com

thanks

--Previous Message--

:
: a few long posts from time to time. I enjoy writing, i find writing stuff down
: also find it relaxing (bizarre but true, although my inability to type detracts
:
: should turn in order to get it published (in however small a fashion). In this
:
: about getting an article you have written about poker published in one form or
: another? I am unaware of any poker publications that i might be able to submit

(...)
seventwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:09 pm
Watch out Matt, copyright them first. Lol.

--Previous Message--

: Matt
:
: I would be interested in reading what you have written. Can you email me
: something?
:
:
The Truth
Trips

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:19 pm
Of course anyone who produces original work, no matter what the medium should protect their work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:55 am
Why not set up your on web site and let us all have a read if not can you please send me some to read please. Thanks

--Previous Message--

: Matt
:
: I would be grateful if you could post any stories articles etc on.
:
: www.tradingsuite.com
:
: thanks
:
: --Previous Message--
:
: a few long posts from time to time. I enjoy writing, i find writing stuff
: down
: helps me organize things in my own head better than just thinking about it.
: I
: also find it relaxing (bizarre but true, although my inability to type
: detracts
:

(...)
Dario
Straight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:23 pm
Try here.... No $$$ tho! not sure from original post if you wanted to amke mone y or for fun Wink

http://www.pokerpages.com/contact/write.htm

- Would be interested in reading what you have done so far... ty D
--Previous Message--

:
:
:

(...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:45 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses. I have not had regular access to a PC for the last week so have been unable to post a response. (The hospital where i am working at the moment seems to block this site because of its gambling nature!).

You have raised some interesting points:

Firstly, how exactly does one 'protect their work'? Not that i am untrusting or anything Smile, but i now seem to have developed some paranoia about the whole issue. In the world of medicine which is very academic, papers are published with little or no thought to protecting work unless you are working for a drug company. It is all done in a very idealistic 'for the greater good', and as a result subject to (for want of a better phrase) 'copyright abuse'.

Secondly, no, i'm not that interested in recieving money for the articles. I have not really thought about it to be honest, i don't think anyone would be interested in paying for my views. If anyone is willing to pay then let me know Smile!

Mr Newth, i would be happy to send you some stuff. We have spoken in the past (many years ago at Russell Square) and your views on literature seem pretty sound. I distinctly remember you talking to my girlfriend for ages whilst she waited for me to bust out of a tourney. You were slightly inebriated at the time, but suggested a very good selection of poker literature for her to read in order that she might eventually out-perform me. She took your advice too and now regularly lightens my wallet in heads up matches.

Finally, posting some of the stuff i have written is not possible on a forum. I have enough material for a small book. the posts would be too long. Publishing on a website such as this one would be an idea if there were any takers, but unfortunately not on my own. I fluctuate between techno-joy and techno-fear, either way, mixing myself and computers is a recipe for disaster. I have one of those bt-openworld accounts allowing for the creation of a web site, but to use it would be foolish Smile

Thanks again for your responses and apologies for the delayed reply,

MattJ

p.s. if this reply bounces the post back to the top of the forum, then any new views would be appreciated as well.

--Previous Message--

:
:
:

(...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:31 pm
Matt,

I would be very interested to include you articles on the PokerInEurope.com web site.

Please contact me if interested Jon @ PokerInEurope.com

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: