View previous topic :: View next topic  
2ChicksClick
High Card

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Level 10 of a $150 buy in event with 200k guaranteed. Blinds are 500/1000 and I wake up with pocket Queens in the big blind with a 13k chip stack. 7 seat raises to 3200 and everyone folds to me. We had similar stack sizes and I put him on AK/AQ or pocket pair up to 10s. I thought about calling to see if an Ace or King missed the flop and then jamming, but thought I might get a laydown if I just went all in. I did and was called by AK(H). King came on turn and I was gone. Keep thinking if I had smooth called and jammed on the flop as there were no hearts on the flop, I might still be playing....any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's time.
Frodge
Trips

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Quote:
I put him on AK/AQ or pocket pair up to 10s

Call and Jam would've worked in this case (I think?) but with the range you put him on a lot of flops could've been scary and therefore it was better to try and finish the hand before the flop. There were 8 cards you definitely didn't want to see on the flop so you wanted any hand including an Ace or King to fold if possible.

Was 7 seat the button in this hand? His position would indicate strength when raising at this stage of a tourn.

Quote:
We had similar stack sizes

7 seat should've gone all in preflop anyway with just 13 BBs. I think most people would have at that stage of a tourn. He gave you the opportunity to see a flop and I don't think he had enough chips to play post flop without the risk of crippling himself.

In short you lost a flip and for all the strategy that's talked about it's winning flips that's one of the most crucial things that you need to happen.
2ChicksClick
High Card

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 am
Quote:
Was 7 seat the button in this hand? His position would indicate strength when raising at this stage of a tourn.

No we were nine handed and he was one away from the cutoff. I knew the player was strong and was most likely holding a big ace, but at that stage in the tourney and my stack size, I didn't see getting away from queens in the big blind.

Quote:
Call and Jam would've worked in this case (I think?) 7 seat should've gone all in preflop anyway with just 13 BBs.

I think a call and jam would have worked too since the flop was such an utter miss, but anytime I elect to limp with a big hand, I seem to catch a king or ace on the flop...if he had gone all in, it would have been tough, but he was one of the few at my table I would have laid down to.

Quote:
In short you lost a flip and for all the strategy that's talked about it's winning flips that's one of the most crucial things that you need to happen.

You can say that again....and again....and again. Two bullets in the 200K event, I lost Queens to AK(H) of and pocket 10s to pocket 9s. Two bullets in the 500K, I lost AK(D) to Queens and AQ(C) to A10(D). I played a $200 bounty today and placed 14th (18th paid) losing AJ(H) to Nines after having my pocket 10s crushed by pocket 9s. I actually folded Kings to the chip leader's all in on the bubble and while I couldn't believe I was doing it, I was determined not to be the bubble. Determined to hang on until I start winning more flips than I lose Smile Thanks again for your insight.
Frodge
Trips

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:04 pm
Quote:
No we were nine handed and he was one away from the cutoff. I knew the player was strong and was most likely holding a big ace, but at that stage in the tourney and my stack size, I didn't see getting away from queens in the big blind.

He was in the hijack then? Yes, he's much less likely to be stealing from there than if he was on the button, particularly given his stack size. And yes, QQ is a big hand at any time but in your circumstances it was huge.

Quote:
I think a call and jam would have worked too since the flop was such an utter miss

I've seen players shove with ak, aq or even aj on ultra-dry boards quite often, knowing they have the chance to hit if they get called by an overpair to the board. The chips may all have gone in anyway if you'd called preflop and then checked.

Quote:
Determined to hang on until I start winning more flips than I lose. Thanks again for your insight

There's so much luck in tournaments, it's a case of trying to make the right decisions and hoping you run good. If you look at Chris Moorman's results on PokerStars he has failed to cash 23,000 times in tournaments! So it happens to him as well as us.

Not sure that my insight is any good, hopefully there will be some other replies too.
2ChicksClick
High Card

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:37 pm
Quote:
Not sure that my insight is any good

After finding the courage to post and not sure I'd get a response, your response definitely helped me! Thanks again.
The Reverend
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:40 am
Quote:

Just about true. In a big tourney you need to suck out too Smile

I certainly wouldn't flat call here. Your reraise gets called by pretty much any pair. If he has AA or KK so be it, don't want to be trying to get tricky with 13 BB and QQ.

Quote:
I actually folded Kings to the chip leader's all in on the bubble

This is a big mistake. Close to the bubble you have to take risks, to take advantage of players doing things like this. It can be a very profitable stage in a tourney. It sucks when you lose but the money is at the end, min-cashes aren't worth going for in the long run.
2ChicksClick
High Card

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:53 am
Quote:
This is a big mistake. Close to the bubble you have to take risks, to take advantage of players doing things like this.

It was a very difficult decision, but I wasn't close to the bubble, I would have been THE bubble. After losing some important flips this series, I opted to go for a cash and a small victory to keep my spirits up. Thanks for the post.
Guido Budack
High Card

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:48 pm
funny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:31 am
There is nothing wrong with the way you played this hand.

I'm more concerned about you folding KK on the bubble. To be clear there are times when folding KK on the bubble is absolutely the correct play, but folding because you have lost too many recent flips and/or to keep your spirits up is poor poker IMHO. i'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you must not let bad beats affect your thinking going forward. In short if you lose 500 with KK v 23 all-in-pre in one hand don't fold KK to an 500 all-in-preflop bet on the next hand. To do so would be to almost double your losses.

Learning how to play QQ in the BB is not nearly as important as getting your head right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Hand Analysis All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: