Goto page Previous  1, 2 View previous topic :: View next topic  
knifeboy62
Quads

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I thought I'd post with what I have been doing for the last couple of months in case it might help someone else.

I stopped playing online completely for the month of January once my balance dropped to $0 on FTP. Then it dawned on me that I still had points on FTP so I decided to cash those in for a ring game ticket and promised myself that when that was gone, so was I.

At the start of Feb I got my $50 ring game ticket and have been playing micro PLO and PLO6 since then. I am happy to report that my cash balance is now ~$400 and the $50 ticket is still being used. What has helped me is the below:

1. playing with a clear objective - keep the ticket alive and use it to generate some $s.
2. staying solid and applying some BRM to help achieve 1.
3. finding games that I could beat to help achieve 1.
4. keep sessions short but focused to help achieve 1.
5. don't be ashamed that you are playing for stakes that don't matter to help achieve 1.
6. accept that you are rec player than enjoys playing and the money is never going to matter (but winning is better than losing)

My biggest worry now is what happens in about 400 FTP time when the ticket is released. If I could I would actually buy myself a ticket with cash and continue with the same approach. If anyone has any clever ideas how to simulate the same thing I would be most grateful. It seems to really help me to have the discipline of knowing that if you have eaten into the ticket after a losing session that no positive cash can be generated until the ticket gets topped up again.

It's good to be back. At least I stayed away longer than Stowjon Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Great to hear from you KB welcome back Very Happy

Your points are very valid and if I could only abide by them myself I would feel a lot better about poker. Never really done anything with any of my points on either FT or Stars so not got much advice to give on that front but you've done very well with it it seems! Best of luck mate hope to see you at some tables soon Very Happy
knifeboy62
Quads

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:20 pm
PokerWolf1 wrote:
Great to hear from you KB welcome back Very Happy
Best of luck mate hope to see you at some tables soon Very Happy

Thanks Wolf. I'll be hoping Wolves can stay at the top for the rest of the season for you too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:35 pm
When playing, how many more FTP points have you earned? Anywhere near enough for a replacement ticket?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 pm
DCSW7 wrote:
When playing, how many more FTP points have you earned? Anywhere near enough for a replacement ticket?

It needed 1250 FTP to release the value in the ticket and there are about 400 left to clear it so nowhere near a replacement as it takes 15,400 FTP for a $50 ticket. All the value for me was to help with personal discipline, nothing to do with intrinsic value.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 pm
Can you use the cash you made to buy a ring game ticket? Not exactly the same, but perhaps it could have the same effect on you, and how you played with the ticket you got for points. And congratulations on winning and enjoying poker again, and good luck with continuing it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:20 am
Daniel wrote:
Can you use the cash you made to buy a ring game ticket? Not exactly the same, but perhaps it could have the same effect on you, and how you played with the ticket you got for points. And congratulations on winning and enjoying poker again, and good luck with continuing it! Very Happy

I don't think I can buy a ticket but I would if I could. My new plan (when the remaining 275 FTP is done and the ticket automatically converts to cash) is to keep a "virtual" $50 ticket and track it separately offline. Every time I "lose" a virtual ticket I will punish myself with two weeks off, to keep up the motivation.

Thanks for good wishes, it is great to be enjoying it again Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:14 pm
Final score. $50 ring game ticket became $487.37 by the time it cleared. My plan is to keep $50 of that and track as a "virtual" ticket and try the same thing again. I always enjoyed playing and I find I am much happier winning small but regular money and focusing on the game, not the result.

Graph below is hardly nanonoko but it illustrates my point. It only shows PLO because my old PT3 cannot handle PLO6.

http://i.imgur.com/1uuEeLC.png

PS. embedding images as URLs does not seem to work for me any more, I guess because of the software change on the site. Is there a new image capture app that works rather than hyperdesktop?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 am
If you are only playing on FTP, you can just transfer the excess into your linked PS account, and use the $50 (or whatever part of it you have left) on FTP to play? Transfers are fairly quick, and would allow you to top-up/'withdraw' as required

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 am
Oops just seen this ><

I dont know wether you could buy a ticket for cash (worth emailing support as they may do this for you anyway) but if that fails you could try using the exclusion facility to block yourself from all other games other than the ones you are grinding which may help you keep focus if thats all that you can access... Smile
knifeboy62
Quads

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 am
Very good ideas DCSW7 and Pizzi. I don't have a PS account even after all these years so that is not an option without extra hassle. The exclusion idea would also work but it would make me feel like a degen gambler Smile

The excel tracking version is up and running now anyway so that should do the trick. My goal from here is to repeat the $50 to ~$500 trick over the next month or so and if that works I will have a go at a similar approach from a $100 virtual BR. If I bust the $50 virtual BR then I will punish myself with two weeks off and start again. I will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:25 am
Oops.

"Virtual" $50 busted due to:
1. poor BRM
2. tilt (both anger and over-confidence)
3. not focusing enough
4. playing too long sessions

In the sin-bin for me. Two weeks off. Try again in April.

GL all.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: