Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
sting266
Flush

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Has anyone tried it? What's the best site/software to get started with?

I'm working a 9-5 at the moment so is there a site I can stick 50 on & have a go at trading the US/Asian markets in the evening? Just so I can get an idea of whether I could even consider it as a future job.

Thanks in advance.
BugsBunny
Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I'd just google it and have a look around. You don't even need to stick 50 on as you can trade with virtual money yet it's still a good test as it's based on real exchanges etc

I used to trade with virtual money to see what it was like but forget the name of the software and not sure which is best. Just have a look around IMO.

It's extremely tough to find an edge though IMO
gandalf55
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:53 pm
I did a lot of research and paper trading on the FOREX markets early last year. Lots of money to be made, but easy to lose lots as well. Many parties believe the big players (banks,etc) can manipulate the market too much.

Gurth gothrim Tel'Quessir
The Reverend
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 pm
gandalf55 wrote:
Lots of money to be made, but easy to lose lots as well. Many parties believe the big players (banks,etc) can manipulate the market too much.

Not only can they manipulate, a lot of it is done with the aid of computer programs, pretty much to exclude human interaction I believe, ergo no tilt and mistakes made are tiny. You need to be an absolute expert (i.e industry insider) in a certain field to compete IMO. A better use of your time:

Link
gandalf55
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:47 pm
The Reverend wrote:
gandalf55 wrote:
Lots of money to be made, but easy to lose lots as well. Many parties believe the big players (banks,etc) can manipulate the market too much.

Not only can they manipulate, a lot of it is done with the aid of computer programs, pretty much to exclude human interaction I believe, ergo no tilt and mistakes made are tiny. You need to be an absolute expert (i.e industry insider) in a certain field to compete IMO. A better use of your time:

I came to pretty much the same conclusion so decided not to get involved.

Gurth gothrim Tel'Quessir
BugsBunny
Legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Great song. Hearts REM
cottlad
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:01 pm
Just opened a City Index account and slung a few bob in as play money for now. I've tried immersing myself in tutorials etc to try and get a grip but there's soooooo much to learn. Am wondering just how much expert advice is actually too much. Am going to try spread betting the main markets ftse/dow/Nikkei etc as well as a few forays into FX. I also have my eye on a few companies I want to short for the near/mid term.
It seems like I'm going into this half cocked so have made my deposit small enough not to matter. Playing micro stakes for the time being just to see how it all works. Am sure that doing will be a better way of learning than looking even though a little costly.
Saying that, if anyone already plays the markets wants to offer some advice or point me in the direction of some must read literature/vids, I'm all ears.

I fully expect to become UK's answer to Warren Buffet before year end Very Happy
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 pm
I am not in to day trading, but I am lumping on Ladbrokes shares tomorrow. Cool
cottlad
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 pm
Why that Indy?
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:03 pm
I would love to give some really good well through out reasons, but I can't. Just gut feel which isn't the best route to financial success.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 pm
Had a good start to the day but then market dipped Sad
cottlad
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm
Bollinger Bands, Candlesticks, Dojis, Shooting Stars, MACD's.... my heads a shed! And my wallet feels lighter Confused Think I've learnt how some stuff works but not why...... Variance in poker??? LMAO!! Mr. Green
In Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm
The Reverend wrote:
A better use of your time:

Link

I just got it.
Indestructible
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 pm
Well this is going well....not Sad
cottlad
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:36 pm
Last 4 days I've made 76 trades Shocked
35 winners
40 losers
1 no score draw
Biggest winner 35.80
Biggest loser 20.00

Trades for reason I'm probably doing OK but it's so easy to shoot from the hip and gamble. Must stop that.

Started 200
Current total 186 Confused
Confidence level 3/10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Non-Poker General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: