View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel
Straight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:47 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
600+ players, down to the last 35 or so and this hand:

What the hell kind of player goes all in utg with AA, in this particular scenario??

I mean, sure, he might get someone who thinks he is weaker than he is to call, but by just raising, he surely invites a re-raise from a weaker hand, either a big stack or a small stack shove.

Totally thought my luck was in and insta called so quick I almost broke my mouse!

Absolutely could not believe my eyes when I saw Aces.

Only explanation seems to be that he didnt want a big stack to just call his raise, because he was to scared to play the flop.

Well it worked out perfect for him there, but it cant be too many times that you straight shove aces and find KK at the table too.......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:50 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Unlucky Daniel Crying or Very sad

I think the argument for shoving by Aces is due to the fact that he is UTG.. if he puts in a standard raise and gets an early speculative caller it may encourage others to come along for the ride.. and who wants to play Aces against 4 or 5 hands.. plus it looks more AKish so could get calls by other pairs who are needing a race/doubleup opportunity.

Yes, he thinks he's superior... but he isn't.
evelyn
Quads

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:04 am
Players used to do this on the first hand of the 180 mans. It worked quite often. As Sean posted he's utg and he didn't want to risk a multiway flop.
Daniel
Straight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:38 pm
First hand on freerolls and sngs or any MTT I can totally understand, and have done it myself. But thats just not the same here. If he was short stacked and had shoved the last 2 or 3 times instead of raising, again, I would totally understand the shove, as raising would look more suspicious.

However, his normal raise had been 3.5xbb, I think that stops most speculative calls from early, and even if he did get 2 or even 3 callers, by the time it gets to the button or blinds, there would be even more tempation for a push, instead of a bunch of hands that fold to a shove.

Anyway, I was obviously going out either way, it was just really annoying, because as you say, it looked like AK or a medium pair, so I had practially counted the amount of chips I was going to win! lol Sad

As it was, I did tilt, and went to play $0.5/$1 rush! Picked up AQ, and played a Q high flop worried he had KK or AA. Thankfully because I played it so weak, he 3 barrelled and I picked off the bluff, realised I was now playing awful and logged off. (Having won much more in 5 minutes, than I did playing the tournament for ages) Rolling Eyes

I much prefer tournaments, and simply dont have the patience to play cash for a few hours, but getting deep and min cashing is so depressing at times, so guess it was more a rant than anything, but thanks for listening! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 pm
It always used to work 8 odd years ago. Have AA all in for 200 bigs, some muppet would call with AT or QK
Might be seeing the return of the cycle Mr. Green
the shiver
LMS Champion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:43 pm
I dont think its that bad at all..hes only got 25 bigs
Where is your fold line here Dan?
Do Queens go in the muck?..Jacks?
Maybe he has leveled you to a point?..I mean who ships Aces UTG for 100k??
It was one of the privileges of my poker life to watch Barny win his bracelet, putting on a master class in front of an audience who would have run onto the stage and carried him over the ****ing line if thats what it was going to take. There is bracelets and there is bracelets. This was one of the very special ones...Padraig Parkinson
SeanFoley
Quads

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:11 pm
Daniel wrote:
First hand on freerolls and sngs or any MTT I can totally understand, and have done it myself. But thats just not the same here. If he was short stacked and had shoved the last 2 or 3 times instead of raising, again, I would totally understand the shove, as raising would look more suspicious.

However, his normal raise had been 3.5xbb, I think that stops most speculative calls from early, and even if he did get 2 or even 3 callers, by the time it gets to the button or blinds, there would be even more tempation for a push, instead of a bunch of hands that fold to a shove.

Anyway, I was obviously going out either way, it was just really annoying, because as you say, it looked like AK or a medium pair, so I had practially counted the amount of chips I was going to win! lol Sad

As it was, I did tilt, and went to play $0.5/$1 rush! Picked up AQ, and played a Q high flop worried he had KK or AA. Thankfully because I played it so weak, he 3 barrelled and I picked off the bluff, realised I was now playing awful and logged off. (Having won much more in 5 minutes, than I did playing the tournament for ages) Rolling Eyes

I much prefer tournaments, and simply dont have the patience to play cash for a few hours, but getting deep and min cashing is so depressing at times, so guess it was more a rant than anything, but thanks for listening! Very Happy

If he gets 2 or 3 callers by the time it gets to the blinds, they are also going to come along with marginal holdings at a good price, meaning its AA v. 4 or 5 hands..

Like Shiver, I don't think its a bad shove tbh

Yes, he thinks he's superior... but he isn't.
the shiver
LMS Champion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:24 pm
Its cab for Daniel however we break it down, its just a cooler
I do feel your frustration because like most of us weve forfeited hours of mental concentration for no reward and you havent made a mistake here.
Welcome to tourneyworld.com ...no gain lots of pain
At least boxers get paid per fight for getting punched on the nose Very Happy
It was one of the privileges of my poker life to watch Barny win his bracelet, putting on a master class in front of an audience who would have run onto the stage and carried him over the ****ing line if thats what it was going to take. There is bracelets and there is bracelets. This was one of the very special ones...Padraig Parkinson
SamJess
Straight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:02 pm
This is actually pretty good play. AA utg is horrible to play per se.

25 BB shove UTG is probably best way to play here.

His other option is to just call hoping for a raise to re-raise. However this is quite transparent.

(Better if he gets a raise and 3-bets shove as it looks more convincing.)

If you apply general ranges for positions, stack sizes and balancing plays then you understand why the shove is good.

still a cooler for you though.
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:07 pm
You got schooled son!! old stylee
Marcus6
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:39 pm
just a cooler and not much you can do about! Rolling Eyes

same out come if he just min raise and it folds to you! and you jam?
X
Quads

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:16 am
Bad beat / cooler stories rock my world Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: