Goto page 1, 2  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nem
Royal Flush


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 17557

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Ronaldo went for 80m

Carroll went for 35m ROFL

Torres went for 50m

How much is Messi worth?
sundance
Royal Flush


Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 6316

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Nem wrote:
Ronaldo went for 80m

Carroll went for 35m ROFL

Torres went for 50m

How much is Messi worth?


From the above examples at least 120m...but its all relative I guess

Hes at a club that makes him happy, they play great football and Barca also don't need the money, in the cases above there were circumstances that meant either the player wanted to move and/or the club needed/wanted to sell
Checkov
Royal Flush


Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Posts: 10111

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
sundance wrote:
Nem wrote:
Ronaldo went for 80m

Carroll went for 35m ROFL

Torres went for 50m

How much is Messi worth?


From the above examples at least 120m...but its all relative I guess

Hes at a club that makes him happy, they play great football and Barca also don't need the money, in the cases above there were circumstances that meant either the player wanted to move and/or the club needed/wanted to sell


Market value will go down due to financial fair play. Barca have massive debts, not sure whether they're under pressure to repay it though.
wicklowp
Flush


Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Posts: 620

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
tjm8
Straight Flush


Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 2562
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Based on the Ronaldo fee, you would have to start the bidding at a minimum of 120 mio (as Checkov suggests), but you would have to pay much more and it could still be prove to be +EV

For example, if Man City were to buy him for 250 mio (which is rumoured to be a value put on him by Barca), you would suggest it guarantees the PL title and Champion League Semi's as a minimum and this would quicken City's rise within the global market.

TV receipts would greatly increase as their demand becomes greater and the estimated value to a club for a CL final appearance is circa 50 mio (5 years on the trot and this equates to 250 mio)

IIRC Man Utd sell approx 1.5 million shirts per year worldwide, I don't know how many City sell, but it is considerable lower, lets estimate at 0.5 million. If they were to make 20 per shirt on mark up (based on typical margins), this is a 20 mio return per year (100 mio over 5 years).

Note: you have to remember the Beckham effect which Real Madrid enjoyed, when they said that they had him for free, as his shirt sales alone (Madrid shirts which had his named on the back) paid for his wages and transfer fee from Man United.

So IMO, even if you only have a cash return of 350 mio (CL finals and Shirt Sales) to pay for a 400 mio Messi (150 mio wages over 5 years + 250 mio transfer) which equates to a 50 mio loss, the long term global commercial benefit of establishing Man City as the number one club in Europe would still be a very profitable deal.

This is of course if Messi is good enough to score goals on a cold winters night at Stoke Wink
darrensprengers
Misclick


Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Posts: 7551

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
tjm8 wrote:
Based on the Ronaldo fee, you would have to start the bidding at a minimum of 120 mio (as Checkov suggests), but you would have to pay much more and it could still be prove to be +EV

For example, if Man City were to buy him for 250 mio (which is rumoured to be a value put on him by Barca), you would suggest it guarantees the PL title and Champion League Semi's as a minimum and this would quicken City's rise within the global market.

TV receipts would greatly increase as their demand becomes greater and the estimated value to a club for a CL final appearance is circa 50 mio (5 years on the trot and this equates to 250 mio)

IIRC Man Utd sell approx 1.5 million shirts per year worldwide, I don't know how many City sell, but it is considerable lower, lets estimate at 0.5 million. If they were to make 20 per shirt on mark up (based on typical margins), this is a 20 mio return per year (100 mio over 5 years).

Note: you have to remember the Beckham effect which Real Madrid enjoyed, when they said that they had him for free, as his shirt sales alone (Madrid shirts which had his named on the back) paid for his wages and transfer fee from Man United.

So IMO, even if you only have a cash return of 350 mio (CL finals and Shirt Sales) to pay for a 400 mio Messi (150 mio wages over 5 years + 250 mio transfer) which equates to a 50 mio loss, the long term global commercial benefit of establishing Man City as the number one club in Europe would still be a very profitable deal.

This is of course if Messi is good enough to score goals on a cold winters night at Stoke Wink


ironically its this kind of thinking and financial largess that has lead to nearly every club in the world being in the red or going bankrupt.

lets think about players worth their money. there is no way ronaldo would make his money back
ryanpb
Full House


Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 1500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Ronaldo, Torres and Carroll were incredibly over priced - You can take 30 Mill off all of them and you have an idea of their true value.

I would say 70 Mill
tjm8
Straight Flush


Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 2562
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Darren, whilst I agree it's that type of thinking that has gotten clubs into trouble, I used Man City as possibly the only example where Messi could be bought, because they have owners who have shown that money isn't an issue. I am sure they would buy Messi if he was available at even a ridiculous price. (the UEFA fair play regulations may be another issue to get around, even if it was possible)

City's problem is that there are only so many world class players and they can only really use money as an attraction factor at the moment (crap climate & less regarded then certain other PL clubs at the moment), but the owners need this to change for City to be successful in the long run.

If the long term aim for the City owners is to be the number 1 club in the Europe in 5 years time, then it wouldn't be a bad policy to adopt, when you think that they have already spent around 420mio on players (think net spend is around 340mio).

If there is one player in the world who can turn an already quality squad into an unstoppable one, then it is difficult to put a value on it.
darrensprengers
Misclick


Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Posts: 7551

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
tjm8 wrote:
Darren, whilst I agree it's that type of thinking that has gotten clubs into trouble, I used Man City as possibly the only example where Messi could be bought, because they have owners who have shown that money isn't an issue. I am sure they would buy Messi if he was available at even a ridiculous price. (the UEFA fair play regulations may be another issue to get around, even if it was possible)

City's problem is that there are only so many world class players and they can only really use money as an attraction factor at the moment (crap climate & less regarded then certain other PL clubs at the moment), but the owners need this to change for City to be successful in the long run.

If the long term aim for the City owners is to be the number 1 club in the Europe in 5 years time, then it wouldn't be a bad policy to adopt, when you think that they have already spent around 420mio on players (think net spend is around 340mio).

If there is one player in the world who can turn an already quality squad into an unstoppable one, then it is difficult to put a value on it.


i think you are missing the obvious. he is worth what any team will pay. taking out that very few clubs even try and balance a financial book you way as well piss in the wind estimating value. value should be driven by market forces. since this does not apply to football clubs you may aswell agree with dr evil.
tjm8
Straight Flush


Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 2562
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I don't think I am missing the obvious because I agree with you Very Happy I was just trying to put a figure on what he potentially would be sold for and a reasoning behind it.

I only used the 250mio figure as that is rumoured to be Barca's valuation.

What everyone has to remember is that football is a billion dollar industry and the key element is the footballers, so I don't think it is unrealistic for the best footballer in the world to have a 9 figure market value to a club.

Until the day comes when stadiums start to empty (as fans can no longer to attend) and the TV money starts to fall (when armchair fans stop their subscriptions), then players will continue to be over valued to the real world.
iTerror
Two Pair


Joined: 29 Feb 2012
Posts: 97
Location: In Ur Head

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
It's scary how much interest a lot of clubs pay per year due to loans.

Onto Messi - I'd love him at United but i know i'll never see that day. He'll be at Barcelona for the rest of his career. His value is to strong to sell and it's more profitable for them to keep him! It could only change if he became unhappy but i don't see that happening. It'd be a shame for him to move to any club though as it's a great joy watching that Barcelona team play with him in it. What i admire most about him is he comes across down to earth. He's not an ego driven character. Just plays the game with a smile on his face and it just makes him even more special!
Alex B
Straight Flush


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 2856
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I don't understand how casual observers can say 120m is ridiculous but 60m is reasonable. They just aren't sums of money that are can be comprehended from normal life, so I'm not saying anything on it.

I like TMJ8's analysis though - its the only attempt I have ever seen to add something useful to a price conversation.

If something like oil exploration can trade at a P/E of 15, a price of say 150m would suggest Messi might be worth incremental revenue of 10m/year.

I don't know anything about football revenue streams, but that sounds like its not impossible.

How about instead of speculating on the price, speculate on the incremental revenue and get to a price from there by comparing to other uses for capital - it'll make more interesting reading at least.
Indestructible
Royal Flush


Joined: 21 May 2005
Posts: 15760
Location: Final Table

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
"Hudson Sherwood was five years old when Lionel Messi became his idol.

He and his family went on a trip to Barcelona and took a tour of Camp Nou Stadium and FC Barcelonas locker room. Hudson saw the trophies and took a picture on the field wearing his Messi jersey. Hed go on to wear No. 10 for his own soccer team.

Six months ago, Hudsons father Tony Sherwood bought two tickets at $2,500 apiece to go to Soldier Field in Chicago for the Messi and Friends Tour charity match on July 6. They were guaranteed a meet-and-greet with Messi, plus autographed jerseys and balls.

Sherwood admitted he wouldnt normally pay that much for his son to meet a famous person, but the money was going to UNICEF on behalf of Messis foundation.

But the months of anticipation and build up turned into a major let down.

Sherwood said about 75 customers who paid $2,500 each were put in a small room underneath the field. They waited there about two hours before being told the worlds best soccer player was not coming."

Clearly not fit to wear a City shirt..... Cool
the shiver
LMS Champion


Joined: 02 Nov 2006
Posts: 1591

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Whats the stip if you bought him for x amount and he goes down for tax evasion mid contract?
_________________
It was one of the privileges of my poker life to watch Barny win his bracelet, putting on a master class in front of an audience who would have run onto the stage and carried him over the ****ing line if thats what it was going to take. There is bracelets and there is bracelets. This was one of the very special ones...Padraig Parkinson
barmybadger
Closet Gooner


Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 4483
Location: nottinghamshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
How much is rooney worth?
I would have said around 12 million.

Apparently chelsea 9ffered luiz or mata plus 10 mill. Wtf!!!
_________________
THMF 8 game champion 2010
twitter @barmybadger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Sports and Betting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum