View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattJ
Straight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Hi,

Bored waiting for the footie to start on tele so I figured I would post here. This is the first of 2 posts and concerns strategy, specifically flopping sets:

Ive been playing a lot of pokerstars tournies of late with some success and have been experimenting with some different strategies designed for internet tournies. With the nature of internet tournies (large fields, short levels, loose play) I have concluded that much of the established literature in the field of tournies doesnt apply. In fact you can throw it straight out the window. It seems desperately unsuccessful to take things very slowly on the first few levels and to that extent if you make a hand I think you need to get as much value as possible out of it. To this end I have been trying add some new strategies to my game.

One thing I have been toying with is slowplaying trips/sets on the flop. I will give an example of a recent hand to explain:

$20 NLH tourney 390ish runners, third level (25-50??). I have around 2000 chips. I limp on the button with 22, 5 callers in total including BB. The flop arrives Ac 7d 2d. Action is checked around to me. Conventional wisdom is to put in a hefty raise to drive out the flush draws and certainly this is the strategy you would employ in a B&M cardroom. However, Im looking for more chips and Im willing to slow play to get them. I raise about of the pot (250ish, maybe just under) instead of a hefty raise or moving in. Here Im reasoning I will get callers from rag aces, flush draws and all sorts of weird holdings that you find on the internet (middle pairs etc). If the turn arrives a diamond I can pass and get away from potentially busting myself (even if I move my stack in on the flop a lot of players on pokerstars will call with a weak flush draw). If it doesnt arrive a diamond I can move in on the turn and force the diamond draws to pass now that they will only have one card to come [moving in here still offers opponents very unfavorable odds to draw]. In this way I get more value out of the hand. Also if the board pairs on the turn then Ill get paid off handsomely with a boat vs. trips. I get three callers of my raise. The turn arrives [Ac 7d 2d][Js]. Early position raises all fold to me and I move in (he has less chips than me so I wont get busted). He calls with Ad Jd and hits the flush when the 3d arrives on the river.

Disregarding the result of this hand (the chips were all going in on the flop if I do make a large raise anyhow as this is a fine flop for him), is this a sensible strategy? By only making a smallish raise I generated a rather large pot that I was favorite to win. Pushing in a huge raise on the flop would either win a small pot or bust me.

What do others think of this strategy? Is it sensible? Please bear in mind that the strategy is for internet play as opposed to live B&M play I dont think it applies at all to live play, you wont get enough callers with trash in a real cardroom etc...

Any views very much appreciated,
MattJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:06 am
Hi

I think your play was spot on. Post flop you were 70:30 to win the pot against the AJs

--Previous Message--

: Hi,
:
: Bored waiting for the footie to start on tele so I figured I would post
: here. This is the first of 2 posts and concerns strategy, specifically flopping
: sets:
:
: Ive been playing a lot of pokerstars tournies of late with some success
: and have been experimenting with some different strategies designed for internet
: tournies. With the nature of internet tournies (large fields, short levels,
: loose play) I have concluded that much of the established literature in the
: field of tournies doesnt apply. In fact you can throw it straight out the
: window. It seems desperately unsuccessful to take things very slowly on the
: first few levels and to that extent if you make a hand I think you need to get
: as much value as possible out of it. To this end I have been trying add some
: new strategies to my game.
:
: One thing I have been toying with is slowplaying trips/sets on the flop. I
: will give an example of a recent hand to explain:
:
: $20 NLH tourney 390ish runners, third level (25-50??). I have around 2000
: chips. I limp on the button with 22, 5 callers in total including BB. The flop
: arrives Ac 7d 2d. Action is checked around to me. Conventional wisdom is to
: put in a hefty raise to drive out the flush draws and certainly this is the
: strategy you would employ in a B&M cardroom. However, Im looking for more
: chips and Im willing to slow play to get them. I raise about of the pot
: (250ish, maybe just under) instead of a hefty raise or moving in. Here Im
: reasoning I will get callers from rag aces, flush draws and all sorts of weird
: holdings that you find on the internet (middle pairs etc). If the turn arrives
: a diamond I can pass and get away from potentially busting myself (even if I
: move my stack in on the flop a lot of players on pokerstars will call with a
: weak flush draw). If it doesnt arrive a diamond I can move in on the turn and
: force the diamond draws to pass now that they will only have one card to come
: [moving in here still offers opponents very unfavorable odds to draw]. In this
: way I get more value out of the hand. Also if the board pairs on the turn then
: Ill get paid off handsomely with a boat vs. trips. I get three callers of my
: raise. The turn arrives [Ac 7d 2d][Js]. Early position raises all fold to me
: and I move in (he has less chips than me so I wont get busted). He calls with
: Ad Jd and hits the flush when the 3d arrives on the river.
:
: Disregarding the result of this hand (the chips were all going in on the
: flop if I do make a large raise anyhow as this is a fine flop for him), is this
: a sensible strategy? By only making a smallish raise I generated a rather large
: pot that I was favorite to win. Pushing in a huge raise on the flop would
: either win a small pot or bust me.
:
: What do others think of this strategy? Is it sensible? Please bear in mind
: that the strategy is for internet play as opposed to live B&M play I dont
: think it applies at all to live play, you wont get enough callers with trash in
: a real cardroom etc...
:
: Any views very much appreciated,
: MattJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: