Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149  Next View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I thought I would start up a film thread. Maybe recommend some decent films for fellow THMFM's and stuff Smile Warn us about crap ones!

Anyhoo, I'll start.

Last film I saw was:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0480249/ Film length 101minutes.

I saw this film last week. I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest. The film is a cross between Castaway and Resident Evil, with Will Smith as the lead. Unfortunately the film lacks depth. As it seems to get going, it ends. The film is only 101 minutes long, and IMO with the great story should have been a longer. The director just seemed to run out of ideas.

I would give it a 6.5/10

Last edited by Nem on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
pan's labyrinth

scariest movie character ever in it too imho
RobGibraltar
Out to Lunch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:37 pm
Grumbledook wrote:
pan's labyrinth

scariest movie character ever in it too imho

great film - i didn't find it scary though, and I don't know if you were supposed to. for part of it was that evil dude on the girl's side or not - that was the suspense

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:25 am
i didn't say it was scary, i said it had the scariest movie character
Checkov
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:31 am
Grumbledook wrote:
i didn't say it was scary, i said it had the scariest movie character

Rolling Eyes
sundance
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:37 am
Always thought that Once upon a time in America would always be my favourite film of all time but now I think its the Prestige, never seen a character led film like it, awesome
OdinUK
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:38 am
Nemesis wrote:
I thought I would start up a film thread. Maybe recommend some decent films for fellow THMFM's and stuff Smile Warn us about crap ones!

Anyhoo, I'll start.

Last film I saw was:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0480249/ Film length 101minutes.

I saw this film last week. I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest. The film is a cross between Castaway and Resident Evil, with Will Smith as the lead. Unfortunately the film lacks dept. As it seems to get going, it ends. The film is only 101 minutes long, and IMO with the great story should have been a longer. The director just seemed to run out of ideas.

I would give it a 6.5/10

I watched this and was pretty dissapointed. My brother read the book a few years back and said it was pure class, however the movie is quite different from the book. Including the ending which is nowhere as good as what i was told happened in the book.
OwenP
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 am
Nemesis wrote:

[x] crappy actor
[x] crappy sub-title thingy
[x] crappy title

The artwork is kinda nice though, but I wouldn't spend money to see this at the cinema based on the above.
gonzo_the_magician
One Pair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:28 am
That film was good I think, but, that part when Robert Neville passed by the plastic guy Fred, and Fred's eyes moved...Freaky. I didn't understand why it's eyes moved. I thought that all the puppet people would soon be alive, but I guess not. Anybody got an explanation why?

I don't get it??

Link
robbie
Full House

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:28 am
has will smith ever been in a good movie ? not for me hasnt..and this movie has just broken lord of the rings record for most money taken in its opening in america...

come to think of it i havent seen a decent film in ages.
Grumbledook
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:44 am
enemy of the state was good
OdinUK
Straight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:55 am
I still think its a good movie, i was just expecting something better after hearing about how good the book was.

Also Men in Black, i robot, Bad Boys, Enemy of The State and Independance Day are good movies imo.

And Fresh Prince of bel-air was class Cool
Nem
Royal Flush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:03 am
robbie wrote:
come to think of it i havent seen a decent film in ages.

Well you need to see American Gangsta and No Country For Old Men; which is voted in the top 15 films of all time on imdb.
Jayden
Flush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 pm
*a few i posted in a similar thread on another forum over the past couple of months. i'll review some i actually like later but Session 9 and Requiem for a Dream need checking out

The Condemned - Battle Royale, but shit. Not a lot to say about it, it's just your bog standard US action movie. It has Austin in it, which is ok I guess, and Nathan Jones who they don't let speak, not once lol. Vinnie Jones steals the movie and has pretty much the only good lines, but the rest is meh. Now, if it was just your bog standard US action movie I could handle that, but towards the end it starts trying to make big political statements throgh a couple of little speeches that no film like this should ever attempt to make. At least accept that you're a shitty action movie with no substance and an idea stolen from a film that's a million times better than you in the first place.

2/5

========================================

Hard Candy

Highly over-rated, the film tries hard and has an interesting concept as the lines are blurred between good and evil, as despite knowing clearly from the outset that there is a sinister and sick undertone to the lead male, it's impossible not to hate and despise his foe (a vindictive and largely irritating 14 year old girl) too. What results is a film where you're almost egged on to get behind the man who you should never really be cheering for. the acting from both leads is well below average throughout and in a film that largely has only two characters through its entirety that causes major problems. There are no great lines, and many missed opportunities for such and it's a shame as this had potential to be so much better. It tries hard at least, but in the end falls well short of waht it's trying to achieve. There is a certain uneasy feeling watching the film, which was definitely the big plus point but the lines are blurred so much that you find yourself with nobody to empathise with and care about, and when it's all said and done there's no terror or suspense. Absolutely terrifying? Perhaps if you spend your time chatting up 14 year old girls on the internet it might be, but for the normal world there's nothing to fear from this movie, it's very very average. The films leaves far too much unanswered and seemingly not to leave you pondering, more just because they couldn't be arsed. It takes away from the film as a whole. Similarly they seemed utterly lazy in opening the film, getting straight into the chase with no time spent on building characters or giving you any chance to become emotionally attached or care about them, instead jetting straight off into sexual predator vs sick psychopath, both acted hideously. It's hard enough to believe that a 14 year old girl could hatch this plan in the first place, so it had to be acted well and she's trying far too hard to come across psychotic without being given any chance to let you know why. The no doubt thought having her as a mysterious 14 year old angel of vengeance would add to the mysterious atmosphere through the film. Instead it just makes the whole thing even less plausible. I wouldn't bother with this if I were you, even the talked abotu scene where she castrates him (she actually doesn't, she just tricks him into thinking she has) really isn't as uncomfortable as it should be, he doesn't even seem pained and while I understand that she isn't actually cutting his testicles off, it would have helped if we saw more terror and pain in his expression to help us believe. Maybe I'm just numbed to things like that with all the documentaries about Eunuchs that Channel 4 has shown over the years but still. Maybe worth a watch if you're bored but it's hideously over-rated
2/5

Underworld

I watched Underworld at the weekend, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that special but it had loads of vampires, some reasonable heel turns, Kate Beckinsale needing plenty of dick, and Scott Speedman who's insanely hot too. This was pretty enjoyable action wise and while it wasn't amazing, it wasn't hideous either

3/5

Underworld: Evolution

much like the first, not nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe. It's an action film, with vampires and werewolves, and it's good at what it does, never trying to pretend it's something more than that. I liked it, not one of the best films that I've seen but really not that bad either

3/5

Sin City

The film sets out to look and feel like a cult comic book. It does everything it tries to, and while the only loosely entwined stories running through the film never manage to grab you and hold on tight, the atmosphere, slick look, and brilliant comic book dialogue make this a fun watch. It's not a great film, but it is a great attempt at making a film look like a comic. Well worth a watch but don't expect it to be anything more than a film that looks nice, and has some fun lines and amusing violence.

3/5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:42 pm
If you've not checked out 12 Angry Men give it a try. Quality movie and better than any of the dodgy remakes. it's got Quincy in it what more do you need

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 1 of 149

Jump to: