View previous topic :: View next topic  
loker
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:11 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I just finished talking to my friend on the phone and we had a discussion about tournament strategy. My friend suggests that a player need to play super tight in the early stages of the tournament and in the middle/later stages reverts more to his standard ring game strategy. Is that really correct? Doesn''t it make more sense to play a strategy more similar to ring games in the early stages of a tournament when the stacks are deep?
RobGibraltar
Out to Lunch

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:18 am
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
As an overall strategy with deep stacks I like to keep it simple:

Play tight agressive but try and see cheap flops with potential monsters in position.

Use the early stages to observe your opponents, go for broad opinions to begin with, as harrington suggests observe the guys to your immediate left and right and try to identify any fish at the table or anybody on tilt.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:54 am
Loker I think your right, playing too tight at the beging of a tournament will eman you miss out on alot of opertunities to win chips. You could well find that by the time you reach the mid point of a tournie your too low stacked to play an effective cash game stradgy if you haven't been delt big hands. Saying that Stu Ungar was reported to have said he disn't start playing a tournament until running antis started but as I've never played in a live tournie with a running anti and blinds then I cann't comment on this stratagy.

I agree with Rob's stratagy, if nothing else when I play poker I do want some entertainment, sitting tight for hours on end wating for aces dosen't seem that entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:03 am
Shit or bust early in a tourney. Go all in first hand, hopefully you will get one or more callers. If you go out just enter the next one, if you double or quadruple your stack that's all well and good you can have some fun in the early rounds. You'll even be able to take timeout and go shopping or go for a jog or something if you have an outsized stack early on.

Cheers.
RobGibraltar
Out to Lunch

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:55 am
Freddy Flares wrote:
Shit or bust early in a tourney. Go all in first hand, hopefully you will get one or more callers. If you go out just enter the next one, if you double or quadruple your stack that's all well and good you can have some fun in the early rounds. You'll even be able to take timeout and go shopping or go for a jog or something if you have an outsized stack early on.

Cheers.

Thanks Ronnie. To ((slightly mis-)quote Rimmer from one of the polymorph episodes (was it the emohawk?):

"Although I think that everyone has something they can bring to this conversation, I think the thing that you should bring is silence."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 am
A lot of online tourneys start you with 1500 chips, but even with blinds at 15/30 you can lose 2/3rds of your stack in just 2 hands.

I like to play tight, but if it's cheap to see the flop when I'm the button or cutoff, I'll limp in with anything suited or connecting. Don't bluff anything early, you can't afford the chips.

Watch your chipstack relative to the blinds (M), but also relative to the average stack (Q). Play tight, but if your stack is falling below half the average, you need to be doubling up or going home, so get it in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Mob Poker Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: