View previous topic :: View next topic  
jokers_wild
Trips

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
Anyone holidayed in Dubai recently? The wife has demanded a holiday, well it will be the first proper holiday in 12 years, so we picked Dubai, just wondered if anyone had any experiences?

Ta
Rmaccov
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote
I was there last November and my best mate has lived there for a few years. Eh, better to go without the wife.

Only joking, when you going? It won't be long before it's too hot there.

My take on the place was it's definitely worth a visit. Nice weather and plenty of activities (so I hear). Bit of a building site with 25% of all the cranes in the world there supposedly. There is a lot of stuff built though, its becoming a bit of a rich man's playground.

To be honest I can't help much. I played golf twice and got really pissed the rest of the time. Nightlife was good, your wife will like the shopping, have a good time.
Matty The Saint
Straight

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:12 pm
I thought this was going to be a post about Dave Shallow.
Pilf
Full House

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:17 pm
Matty The Saint wrote:
I thought this was going to be a post about Dave Shallow.

As did I. I thought he must have done something funny or such. Ah well.
As for the place, with guaranteed great shopping and great weather it sounds like my kind of place. Never been mind. Have a great time and let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 pm
Going out there mid June, dont mind the heat, as long as the beer is cold and I have a deck lounger next to the beach or pool then thats fine, "wife will like the shopping" o christ, better have a spin up online!

Might have to 'forget' the credit card.... lol
Fingers60
Two Pair

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:39 pm
Dubai is deinitely worth a visit before it becomes the Costadeldubai...give it another few years. Lots of shopping opportunites few big shopping centres. Go to the gold souk for cheaper gold not as discounted as it used to be but haggle hard esp. when its late and they are tired and you should get a bargain.
Make sure you go dune bashing in a 4 X 4 this is great fun and can combine with evening bbq in the desert complete with brief ride on a very grump camel (esp. if you are my weight!)
Again 4 X 4 do some wadi bashing driving through local wadis.
Lunch at the Hatta Fort Hotel is ok if combined with one of above trips.
Make sure you visit the Burj hotel worth a visit. Afternoon tea at the ritz hotel nice touch for your missus.
If you are not staying in hotel near a beach you can usually pay to access beach clubs. Great choice of hotels.
And when you get fed up of dubai...oman is the next place to visit...but dont tell anybody.....
Fingers60
Two Pair

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:42 pm
oh and as Rmaccov said go now before it gets to hot...even the arabs do not hang around there in the summer!
Rmaccov
Straight Flush

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:59 pm
Fingers60 wrote:
oh and as Rmaccov said go now before it gets to hot...even the arabs do not hang around there in the summer!

Yeh my best mate has a young child and his wife and child leave Dubai to head home for 6 weeks in the height of the summer. Her being a school teacher allows this. She says there's no point being there in the summer as you can'really the house. I was there in November and it was still very hot.

My mate also says people from UK or whatever get tricked a lot by taking "excellent" deals for flights and a 5* hotel on the cheap in July/August. Then they get there and realise why it was so cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hendon Mob Forum Index -> Non-Poker General Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: